Phnom Penh Accommodation

DownLoLarry

I am just back from a few days in Phnom Penh and personally I didn't find it very exciting. Is it worth visiting while on a holiday in SE Asia? I'd say my short answer is you can skip it, you're not missing much.

Thanks for the report 360.

I have always guessed that about 90% of guys that visit PP wouldn't really like it. Maybe even a higher percentage of LB lovers than GG lovers. I am one of the 10% and plan a month there on my next trip.

It is considerably cheaper than the main tourist towns in Thailand. A few hours at the Candy Shop Bar on soi 136 with four draft beers for myself and four or five lady drinks totaled at 20USD (~600 baht). Bar fines run between 5 and 10 USD and the girls were happy with 20 for ST and 30USD for LT. You can probably go even cheaper than that but I just didn't have the heart to bargain at these rates.

I've recently had a hard time getting GGs out of a hostess bars on 104/136 for less than $30 ST. Maybe you are sexy man. :biggrin:  A little better luck price wise with LBs and much better with FL.

I think it's simply referred to as Candy Bar. But things change in a short time.

Street 151
It's a walking distance from 136, under ten minutes, but I wouldn't walk there or back at night for personal safety reasons. There are some bars scattered around the street but the main reason people come here is the Heart Of Darkness and PonToon. Heart, as the locals call it is right at the center of the action on 151. It is the smaller of the two clubs and gets busy earlier. On both nights I visited there were a few lbs and they were clearly looking for action. PonToon is on a cross street from 151. If you go out of Heart go left down 151, and take the first right, you'll see it on your right 10 seconds into the cross street (172).

I think this should be street 51 instead of 151.
http://www.canbypublications.com/maps/phnompenhstreet51.htm

There are many more good maps at this site as well.

Pontoon is located on street 172 just about where the two "p"s in Zeppelin Bar are located on the above map. The volume of the music takes some getting use to for an old fart like me. Just across the street from Heart is what was suppose to be a shopping center called Golden Sorya. It has ended up becoming a bar area with a few LBs about.

I have walked home from street 51 to street 136 a number of times as late as 4 AM. I've never had a problem but I'm not sure it was the best of decisions. Perhaps tempting fate more than I should. Probably best to take a tuk-tuk. Although if you come out of Heart late the drivers sometimes ask for something stupid like $5. So sometimes I walk around toward Flamingos for a tuk-tuk when I'm bringing a girl back.

Always interesting to read a newbie PP travelers report. My first trip I planned five days in PP and five days in Siem Reap. I liked PP so much I came back for 15 more days after going to Siem Reap instead of returning to Thailand. But as I said before I consider myself in the vast minority who like PP. A small percentage fall in love with the place and the majority don't.  

• Upvote 3

Yes, I'm in that minority too.

I really enjoy PP. I have notched up 6 or 7 trips now, I guess it must be. Never long term. But living just over the river I don't need to go to these places for long times.

I'm always glad to hear advice to the effect of skip it, you're not missing much. Helps keep the place as I like it. Very relaxing destination for an old fart like me. Far more couth than somewhere like Pattaya, for example.

Always interesting to read a newbie PP travelers report.

But as I said before I consider myself in the vast minority who like PP. A small percentage fall in love with the place and the majority don't.

I agree with this.

I relish newbie reports that do not like Phnom Penh and Cambodia. Hopefully they act as a signal that keeps the masses away and give those that love the country and it's nuances more room to manoeuvre and enjoy without it all getting trampled-on and spoiled. A weekend is usually enough for a noob to think he doesn't want to return.

I first visited Cambodia 15 years ago, but over the last few years I've spent around 9 months in the country and I like it for so many different reasons.

If it's just a year's build-up in farangland of hormonal urges and dirty-water to unleash then the best thing to do is simply stick to Pattaya or some other flesh-pot in Thailand. Cambodia is more for people with time available and more on their minds than just sex.

• Upvote 1

I knew I'd be getting some heat from the Cambodia diehards :) I appreciate how you guys keep it friendly and welcoming on here even when we have different opinions (no cynicism). XYZZY, thanks for pointing out my error on street 51, I've edited the post to show the correct street number. I've been traveling to SE Asia for some years now and this was my second trip to Cambodia. This time it was a visa run combined with an avoid Thailand on songkran trip. I pretty much knew what to expect this being my second trip and I did enjoy my time there. But as I said in my post it was nothing to write home about and I'd give it a miss if I was on a short two weeks holiday.

• Upvote 1

I tried hard to not sound like I was picking on you 360. Never know how the written word will be interpreted. I did find advising people who haven't been to just skip it as kind of over the top. Although I have admitted that probably 90% of guys won't want to go back (maybe more for LB lovers). So I guess it's over the top for me to suggest giving it a try. But one never knows unless they try. 

If one is interested in tourist things perhaps that justifies a couple of days in PP. The Khmer Rouge stuff near PP and it is much cheaper to fly to PP than Siem Reap if one wants to visit Ankor Wat (et al). Although I am not much of a tourist and enjoy PP for what it has to offer in nightlife. But it really helps to know the scene (not suggesting you don't) or even better to have a guide for a first timer. And for those of us who stay longer in Thailand the stupid Thai immigration rules give a reason to pop into PP for a few days for a visa run or get a new visa. Not to mention the Songkran refugees. :biggrin:  But I need no excuse to visit PP.

I, like other posting recently, am just as happy not to see PP change but in reality it is going to happen anyway. It has changed a lot since I first went in 2008. Too many of us damn 10%ers. :biggrin:  Although I think the LB scene has changed for the better. But the scene is still a very tiny fraction of most places we go in Thailand.

To each his own. Certainly no offense taken.

Especially THIS week, in particular...

I'm heading to PP next week, and staying for a couple of months (at least).  My hotel is out near the Olympic (!) Stadium, so a bit off the beaten mongering track, which is exactly what I'm looking for right now.  Will post an update if any unscheduled mongering takes place.

I'm also going to get an apartment for most of my stay, so I'll also keep y'all posted on what is available.  PDogg mentioned a complex called Murray's Place, in the same part of town as my hotel.

Interesting choice of location in PP RT67.  I went for a stroll down that part of town one Sunday afternoon and I was the only westerner in the area.  So you are certainly getting away from the tourist drag and the distractions that go with it.  Best of luck and hope to see you back in Patts. come late October.

I, like other posting recently, am just as happy not to see PP change but in reality it is going to happen anyway.

There's a beautiful little unpaved street with bars on both side on Victory Hill in Snooky.

I figure some day I'll go back and it will be paved with motobikes whizzing down,

Change is not always good.

There's a beautiful little unpaved street with bars on both side on Victory Hill in Snooky.

I figure some day I'll go back and it will be paved with motobikes whizzing down,

Change is not always good.

Ive been to victory hill three times in the last two years and can tell you that it is slowly changing. on my first visit I went to the bar behind the tuk tuks in the first photo and really loved it, it was the trippiest bar ive ever been to. On my second visit it had been knocked down and they where building what I thought was going to be a new bar, but on my third visit I was disappointed to find a convenience store. The road is still pretty rough but now there is some concrete on the right hand side at the start.

Dragonfly bar was the only ladyboy bar in the street and had one good looking ladyboy and three roughies working there, on my second visit it was closed every night and on the third visit it had changed to gg only. Mosquito bar had three lb and Sahara bar had one(with bolt ons) as well as three others that worked in the street. If anyone visits the street just let one lb know your into them and they will all show up.

If anyone is thinking of going to Koh Rong you might want to do it soon because the way its going it will be like Patong soon its really lost some of its charm in the last two years.

The biggest change I noticed on my last trip was the empty field in front of the museum in PP is now the resting place for the late king.

post-3440-0-35301100-1366761492_thumb.jp

post-3440-0-59431500-1366761508_thumb.jp

post-3440-0-41300800-1366761529_thumb.jp

post-3440-0-49481500-1366761551_thumb.jp

post-3440-0-49998300-1366761573_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

that´s fine, but how´s about ladyboy-acceptance and joinerfee-policiy in these hotels?

What I have seen on Agodas half-price list those are more upscaled hotels and in other areas than our hunting grounds.

For the Golden House in PP for me the recommendation of admins and BM was the reason for my decision. it seems to be difficult To ask AGODA in advance if the hoels are guest- and ladyboyfriendly lol

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hi friends, if you know Phnom Penh can you tell me if it is easy and convenient to find a furnished apartment for 2 weeks? I like walking and I like to find a hotel or apartment in the action or very near the action (mongering area). What is the best area to stay in Phnom Penh?
Thanks

On 11/25/2014 at 5:23 PM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi friends, if you know Phnom Penh can you tell me if it is easy and convenient to find a furnished apartment for 2 weeks? I like walking and I like to find a hotel or apartment in the action or very near the action (mongering area). What is the best area to stay in Phnom Penh?

Thanks

I recommend that first time visitor stay in the Riverside area which has plenty of bars where you can barfine ladies.  Some of these bars have a couple of ladyboys.

Many hotels in this area, and many guys have been happy with the Golden House:

On 11/24/2013 at 5:38 PM, Ernesto said:

hoels are guest- and ladyboyfriendly lol

Part of this is how closely IDs are scrutinized.

Many Cambodians don't have ID cards.

You would think it would be a no brainer for a sex worker to have an ID card but many don't.

So bargirls just borrow an ID.

But if IDs are checked closely then a 23 year old ladyboy using a 29 year old lady's ID won't work.

Sundance is a guesthouse that doesn't check IDs.

I have always guessed that about 90% of guys that visit PP wouldn't really like it. Maybe even a higher percentage of LB lovers than GG lovers. I am one of the 10% and plan a month there on my next trip.

I know Jakarta (Indonesia) and some other countries in Asia. In my opinion Jakarta is the best town. I love Jakarta but nor for LBs only (not many) but for hunting as LBs as girls.  You have to hunt if you like mongering!! I hate Pattaya. Do you think Phnom Penh is more like Jakarta or like Pattaya?

I recommend that first time visitor stay in the Riverside area which has plenty of bars where you can barfine ladies.  Some of these bars have a couple of ladyboys.

Ok, I thank you, but I like to understand better. Why on the Riverside area and not on 136 street? If you're recommending Riverside area again, in which section of the street are there many bars precisely? Thanks, again one.

Ok, I thank you, but I like to understand better. Why on the Riverside area and not on 136 street? If you're recommending Riverside area again, in which section of the street are there many bars precisely? Thanks, again one.

Fox, the bar strip on 136 is at the Riverside end on the street, which is a great area to stay.  You seem like a Phnom Penh kind of guy to me as if you enjoy the ladyboy hunt you will enjoy Phnom Penh.