Pope Says Church Is ‘Obsessed’ With Gays, Abortion and Birth Control

pdogg

September 19, 2013

Pope Says Church Is ‘Obsessed’ With Gays, Abortion and Birth Control
By LAURIE GOODSTEIN

Six months into his papacy, Pope Francis sent shock waves through the Roman Catholic church on Thursday with the publication of his remarks that the church had grown “obsessed” with abortion, gay marriage and contraception, and that he had chosen not to talk about those issues despite recriminations from critics.

His surprising comments came in a lengthy interview in which he criticized the church for putting dogma before love, and for prioritizing moral doctrines over serving the poor and marginalized. He articulated his vision of an inclusive church, a “home for all” — which is a striking contrast with his predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, the doctrinal defender who envisioned a smaller, purer church.

Francis told the interviewer, a fellow Jesuit: “It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time. The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently.

“We have to find a new balance,” the pope continued, “otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.”

The pope’s interview did not change church doctrine or policies, but it instantly changed its tone. His words evoked gratitude and hope from many liberal Catholics who had felt left out in the cold during the papacies of Benedict and his predecessor, John Paul II, which together lasted 35 years. Some lapsed Catholics suggested on social media a return to the church, and leaders of gay rights and gay Catholic groups called on bishops to abandon their fight against gay marriage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/world/europe/pope-bluntly-faults-churchs-focus-on-gays-and-abortion.html

This pope does seem to be a little bit better than the cartoon characters who ran that organization the past 500 years or so.....but we have to remember he works for a homophobic system which is still telling people in Africa and South America and other 3rd world crap holes not to use bith control.  One man can only do so much; methinks after this guy dies off the next one will be just as weird and rigid as the rest.

• Upvote 1

Pope Francis is the breath of fresh air that good Catholics (& everybody else) despaired of ever getting in our lifetime. I am not Catholic & haven't changed my mind about the religion but this guy looks set to become the most important Pope of the past 500 years.

Imagine, a religious leader who wants to improve the lives of the poor & is even prepared to contradict the tenets of his own faith if it means that everyone can get along without persecution. How long before the Vatican decides they need to bump this Pope off like they have with others?

EDITED: 21.9.13 (Original nonsense is in Willie's post below)

Pope Francis is the breath of fresh air that good Catholics (& everybody else) despaired of ever getting in our lifetime. I am not Catholic & haven't changed my mind about the religion but this guy looks set to become the most important Pope of the past 500 years.

Imagine, a religious leader who actually wants to make improving the lives of the poor & setting aside secular differences so that people can live harmoniously without being hounded for thinking or acting differently. How long before the Vatican decides they need to bump this Pope off like they have with others?

Yes,like they did with John Paul 1...he was a true reformer,but they got rid of him in just over a month....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God%27s_Name

I thank god every day that I'm an atheist. 

At least this gives me a slight bit of hope for the institution (Catholicism that is). I still feel nothing but repugnance for most organized christian religions though.

2 mormons knocked on my door yesterday. I told them to get the fuck off my porch or I was going to pull my cock out and masturbate in front of them, then made a "wanking" motion with my hand. I didn't know Mormons could sprint like that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chase said:

Bangkok Post - Front Page Today.

Even the Pope's having a dig at Obsessions now! But there could be more to this story with Boa, and what she keeps hidden (sometimes), in her panties! There's a reason she's called Boa.

For a look at the front page of today's Bangkok Post as well as beautiful Boa, click:

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1203-obsessions-pattaya/?p=70468

I thank god every day that I'm an atheist. 

At least this gives me a slight bit of hope for the institution (Catholicism that is). I still feel nothing but repugnance for most organized christian religions though.

2 mormons knocked on my door yesterday. I told them to get the fuck off my porch or I was going to pull my cock out and masturbate in front of them, then made a "wanking" motion with my hand. I didn't know Mormons could sprint like that.

Your comment puzzles me DT.  The part that puzzles me is you repugnance for organized CHRISTIAN religions.  So what you dont dislike "Eastern" or "middle Eastern" religions??

Your comment puzzles me DT.  The part that puzzles me is you repugnance for organized CHRISTIAN religions.  So what you dont dislike "Eastern" or "middle Eastern" religions??

yes,good point. Christianity has been a civilizing influence largely in Europe....yes of course its had its religious wars ,inquizitions etc,but look at the wealth of Literature,Art and Arcitecture its created/inspired......where would we in the West be without it,for all its faults.....If you want a Religion that will fuck up the world completely given the chance-look no further than Islam

I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. That would be like asking a guy living in the mountains of Afghanistan what he thinks of Americans. His only experience with them would be at the far end of the spectrum, and he'd have no real understanding of what the people as a whole are like.

Same with Muslims. 

I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. That would be like asking a guy living in the mountains of Afghanistan what he thinks of Americans. His only experience with them would be at the far end of the spectrum, and he'd have no real understanding of what the people as a whole are like.

Same with Muslims. 

But all religions have things in common i.e. somekind of God, one God that is, some kind of afterlife, usually some kind of dogmatic principles. 

Somehow I think its a lot easier to criticize Christiany than it is other religions, oh lets say Islam for example, because we, in the US of A, are paralized by Political Correctness.  The same people who mock Christianity especially those academics in US universities trip all over themselves NOT to say anything harsh about Islam.......

But all religions have things in common i.e. somekind of God, one God that is, some kind of afterlife, usually some kind of dogmatic principles. 

Somehow I think its a lot easier to criticize Christiany than it is other religions, oh lets say Islam for example, because we, in the US of A, are paralized by Political Correctness.  The same people who mock Christianity especially those academics in US universities trip all over themselves NOT to say anything harsh about Islam.......

Nah, not politically correct, just not willing to make characterizations about things and peoples I know nothing about. That and the fact that although Americans (and apparently Brits) only connect muslims with terrorism as that's all they know about them, I connect Christians with so much of the bullshit that's going wrong in this country every day.

I think the reality is that Americans overreact to the idea of Muslims being evil, and completely underreact to how fucked up our country has become because of Christian radicals. 

I keep thinking about something Jai Dee said on a thread on another board - that more Americans have been killed by toddlers in 2013 than by terrorists.   http://www.ijreview.com/2013/06/58736-study-toddlers-kill-more-americans-than-terrorists-in-2013/

I'm sure you'd support creating a multi-billion dollar "war on toddlers with guns", right? But no - that certainly wouldn't be politically correct. We can't even get the Republicans to agree with us that the mentally ill and those on the terrorist watch list should lose the ability to purchase weapons in America.

• Upvote 2

My two bobs worth on religion....... they all suck.... all of them have major prejudices, all have fanatics and all are the reason for so much death and suffering through the ages. So until they can agree to live and let live they can all shove their ideology up their ass.

Just a thought...

Depending on which religion you ask, all here would be in line to be killed or assigned to hell for liking what we like.

Nah, not politically correct, just not willing to make characterizations about things and peoples I know nothing about. That and the fact that although Americans (and apparently Brits) only connect muslims with terrorism as that's all they know about them, I connect Christians with so much of the bullshit that's going wrong in this country every day.

I think the reality is that Americans overreact to the idea of Muslims being evil, and completely underreact to how fucked up our country has become because of Christian radicals. 

once again islam is compared to christianity....it aint even apples and oranges close.....muslims aren't evil-islam certainly is.....heres a link if any proof is needed...a Religion that permits parents to kill their children.....rape and torture them as well....ive taken the link from an arabian newspaper to avoid any claim of bias..http://www.albawaba.com/news/saudi-preacher-murder-468239

also IMO-most americans dont know shit about islam-try living in the great cities of northern europe to get experience of the real mcCoy

yes,good point. Christianity has been a civilizing influence largely in Europe....

It depends on which way you look at it , it has been largely used over the centuries to keep the lower orders in their places and reinforce what is perceived as the natural order of things .

All you have to do is believe and suffer and things will be better in the afterlife .

The biggest con trick man ever pulled . 

"There'll be pie in the sky when you die " - Woody Guthrie .

It depends on which way you look at it , it has been largely used over the centuries to keep the lower orders in their places and reinforce what is perceived as the natural order of things .

All you have to do is believe and suffer and things will be better in the afterlife .

The biggest con trick man ever pulled . 

"There'll be pie in the sky when you die " - Woody Guthrie .

of course .....jam tomorrow is what all Religion is based upon......but the great myth that is Christianity has probably done more good than harm.....while mentioning Architecture,Art ,and Literature....i forgot to mention Music......what other faith has inspired such great works other than Christianity>?

of course .....jam tomorrow is what all Religion is based upon......but the great myth that is Christianity has probably done more good than harm.....while mentioning Architecture,Art ,and Literature....i forgot to mention Music......what other faith has inspired such great works other than Christianity>?

Sex. 

I don't mean that flippantly, but if you think of all the things that motivate great art, SEX is probably at the top of the list, well in front of any theological construct.