Motorbiking in Sihanoukville

Luung

Hi all,

I'm going to be doing my first Sihnookville reckkie sometime between late October to mid November & I'd like some advice from any bike riders out there.

I originally considered doing this as a bike trip on my new Honda CBR250R, sports racer, maybe riding from CNX to Patts & then along the coast eventually ending up in Sinookie?

And it seemed like a good idea until I talked to a few people who said that it just wasn't the place for a sports racer, in fact quite the opposite, being virtually tracks & un-made roads???

Anyway, I thought I'd get some advice from some of you lads who may have been out there lately...

Am I going to have a ball cruising/racing around on my new baby or is it going to be a cumbersome hinderance?..Is it the type of place where you wouldn't want to entertain the tuktuks & songtows?.. Is it the type of place where you're better off on foot??.. Is there a lot of out of town sight seeing to be done?.. What sort of state are the roads in getting you there?

There's still some incredibly cheap flights out on Air Asia for the end of October & it really has me in two minds what to do for the best?

Advice pleeeeeeeeease, I'll need to book soon if I'm going to fly

• Upvote 1

I originally considered doing this as a bike trip on my new Honda CBR250R, sports racer, maybe riding from CNX to Patts & then along the coast eventually ending up in Sinookie?

And it seemed like a good idea until I talked to a few people who said that it just wasn't the place for a sports racer, in fact quite the opposite, being virtually tracks & un-made roads???

Brother Lung, The road from Had Lek to Snooky is completely paved and one of the nicest roads to bike on a sunny day that I can think of.

Snooky itself is a place I enjoy riding on a 100cc rental (I won't ride a bike in Pattaya or Phnom Penh).  Though some of the nicest rides were on out of the way unpaved roads.

In Cambodia only VIPs can drive with their lights on during the day or you'll get a ticket.  But if your headlight is off no problem riding at night. lol.

• Upvote 1

Get to Phnom Penh before I leave on the 19th October and I'm sure PDogg and myself could chat about our minimal biking experience last year around Sihanoukville over several tasty local draft beers.

It was good times, we thoroughly enjoyed our rentals for several days and I'd like to do it again  B)

Transport is so cheap so I'd only use buses to cover any reasonable distances, but a local bike rental for getting about around Snooky really made a difference.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your quick responses DC & PDogg, its much appreciated, but sorry, it still doesn't help me much.

OK, I've got to be a bit more specific.

So I'll get a ticket for having my lights on during the day???.. You can't turn them off on a new bike, with vrtually any new bike on the market the lights come on with the ignition, WTF!.. How do I get around that one?

Are you saying that I'll be better off renting a scooter?.. I was told that it wasn't the type of place where I'd want to be riding about on a sports racer?

Is it going to be an aresole of a ride from the boarder to Snooky? Or will I be able to open the throttle up?

Is the terain more suited to off roaders & smaller step throughs & scooters?

How much to rent a small scooter?

Will you be going back to the UK on the 19th October DC?

What are the chances of some cunt stealing the bike?

This is a pic of the bike, if it helps... It's the ideal thing for doing the highways down to Pattaya... But is it the wrong bike to be riding to & around Sihnookville on?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese help me

post-224-0-72548200-1378919010_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bikes sold in Cambodia don't have automatic lights on because then VIPs could not show their power.  I have no idea how to get around that.  Not even sure what the rules are for bringing a bike into the Cambodia. Maybe there are import taxes, dunno.

The road from Had Lek to Snooky is a beautiful, mountainous, well paved ride with hardly any traffic at all. So when not twisting and turning you can open it up.

I tend to see small bikes that are not scooters. They rent from 3 to 5 bucks a day depending on condition and are just what u need for Snooky itself.

• Upvote 1

PD beat me to it and just saved me some typing  :biggrin:

After Cambodia on the 19th October I return back to Pattaya again for 3 months. I've had my month back in England already and what a lovely month it was too. It will be SEAsia from now on for the next 12 months again.

I was a late starter to motorcycling back in the UK and passed my test just before the changes took place (the 33bhp rule, if I recall). I only ever owned 4 motorbikes, which included (all new) a Suzuki 600 Bandit, a Suzuki 1200 Bandit (short wheel-base and wheelie'd like a beauty) and finally a Yamaha XJR1200 with loads of extras on it.

I loved the XJR. After loads of mods and a dyno it had 118bhp at the back wheel. I went to a place called Renegade near Brands Hatch and they made a 4-2-1 pipe for me at cost price as it was their first for that bike, they used mine as a template. Holey moley, that thing went like shit through a goose!   :happy0148:

I miss those biking days so I can easily understand your desire to get some mileage on yours. Like PD said, the coastal road from the border to Snooky is gorgeous. Great looking bike Lung  B)

• Upvote 1

what are the chances of some cunt stealing the bike?      pretty good unless you have it locked every time you stop,and locked behind locked gates at night...thats a helluva nice bike.....but its probably the biggest crime in snooky,moto theft.......i spent 2 months in snooky last year and i rented a bike for those months....just a 125cc semi auto...its all you need there....I paid as little as $60 for the last month,but its usually $80-90 per month......the longest trip i made was snooky to kampot....a 2 hour jaunt.....-there are not a lot of good trails afaik aroungd snooky....As for getting stopped for having your lights on in the day...'tis true....a dollar/dollar fifty usually solves the problem.... Also ,check out the border crossing at had lek...theyre without a doubt a shower of cunts...not only do they want DOUBLE the visa fee to get in,but i'll bet they want to make you get a visa (or the cost of one) for the bike....i'll never enter cambo that way again.....An alternative for you might be to fly into PP and hire a good powerful bike there and drive down to snooky...but do it during daylight.....the drivers are terrible-worse even than thailand

• Upvote 2

Willie has a good idea Unc. I was going to suggest the same thing earlier. Drive from CNX to Pattaya. Enjoy your bike, the road and the trip. When your ready to go to Cambodia leave your bike in Patts well locked and guarded some where truly secure. Then fly to PP and rent a bike to go to Snooky. I think if you take your slick bike to Cambodia it will go MIA even if you surround it with a gaggle of rattlesnakes. The temptation is too great. After your Cambodia adventure fly back, gather up your bike and head on back to CNX. No worries. 

That's the way I would go. But I really don't know what I am talking about. I just like you and your bike and would hate to see anything shitty happen.

• Upvote 2

Brilliant, thanks ever so much for the advice lads, thats a real help!

Did I ever tell you that I used to shag the manageress at the Paragon disco in Brans Hatch DC? I've been slung off the track in my old BMW too, 7.30am on a race day, long story... Anyway, beautiful selection of muscle bikes you've had in the past!!!

Any chance of PM'ing me your dates Willy, I'd hate to miss you this trip!... And really good advice regarding theft, boarders & rental prices, it's just about what I figured!

And I'll finally get a chance to meet upo with you too DC, although it's probably going to be in Patts, still, that ain't bad, is it???

Look forward to catching up with you too brother PDogg, it's long overdue!

And as for my fluffy bunny Sam, sorry about February mate, hopefully next time around!

Right, fuck the plane... I'm going on a bike ride! :happy0148::happy0148::happy0148:... Let's just hope I've still got the thing at the end of the trip to ride back home on!

Second thoughts... Maybe I'll take Sam's advice?

Oh fuck, what do I do? I'm back where I started :mad0261:

OK, one last question... Are there a lot of hotels or guest houses with gated security to be had in Snooky at reasonable cost?

• Upvote 1

Loads of guest houses with gates,especially victory hill,and cheap as chips....depending how long youre staying of course.....$15 per night down to $5....all secure.......i'll send you a PM soon Unc,im going up to cm also,might be there a few weeks....oops almost forgot..if youre going over the border at had lek....download an e-visa and print it off,that stops the thieving bastards at the border from overcharging you....also ,have a look at www.sihanoukvilleonline.com   very helpful forum for all things snookyville.......bike security is a favourite topic.....

• Upvote 1