Can You Buy A Sim Card At Phnom Penh Airport?

pdogg

• 1 year later...

Every time I arrive at Pochentong Airport I buy a Cellcard (Mobitel) SIM card for $1 in the stalls immediately after you've left the terminal building, it includes $2 credit and they photocopy your passport. All Khmer SIM cards require a copy of a passport for Barang or ID card for Khmer.

Barang are limited to which providers they can use in Cambodia. If you want one unavailable to a foreigner (you) then a Khmer friend can buy one for you. Khmer's get their's at 1500r or less if buying a few, but they do have a shelf-life.

If you do not buy when leaving the terminal building on arrival then expect to pay $10 around the markets or phone shops, although you may be able to bargain that down to $6. They will not budge on the available providers.

• Upvote 1

International phonecalls from Cambodia:

The mobile phone networks use VOIP and can bypass the normally expensive international gateways, so your international phone call costs can be vastly reduced by replacing the normal international outgoing code 001 with the pre-fix code relevant to your provider.

Beeline: 179

Cellcard: 177

Hello: 166

MetFone: 168

Mfone: 165

So for example:

Calling Thailand from Cambodia using a Cellnet (mobitel) SIM card you would dial:

177 66 8 12345678

This call would cost 10 cents per minute.

I saw the vendors in the main part of the airport but didn't stop and buy. Wish I had seen the Mobitel used SIM place. The vendors were open after 11 PM. With an e-visa it was 10 minutes tops from entering the terminal to exiting. My bag came out early for a change. The Korean and Asiana flights land around 11 PM or a bit earlier. Terminal seemed busier than normal but I walked right up to an immigration booth, no waiting. Others were going to the visa queue. Since I was last here they have started scanning your fingers and thumbs on both hands. A new feature for me. 

• 1 month later...