The Big Breakfast

Guest route67

Guest route67

OK, I know there are other threads - well, one - devoted to dining around Pattaya, but I thought it might be useful to have one for brekkie, one for lunch, and one for dinner.  I reckon most people are as lazy as I am, and don't want to wade through page after page of general restaurant-related stuff when they can go straight to a thread dealing with their culinary requirements at the time when they need it.

Therefore, I'm going to have as many breakfasts as I can, and report back on the following aspects:

Place: decor, ambience, location

Service: good? bad? surly? welcoming? & etc.

Food: what was ordered, and what actually came to the table

Misc.: any other thoughts regarding the establishment that pop into my noggin either at the time or subsequently.  But not before.  No, sirree.

29.05.13  The Sportsman, Soi 13

All in all, a fairly unsatisfying full-English breakfast save for one thing - I didn't overeat, so I don't feel horribly bloated as I sit writing this.

I guess the acid test for any meal is 'Would I have the same meal in the same restaurant again?'  The answer, in this case, is an unequivocal 'No,' which is a shame, as with a few minor adjustments, it could have ticked all my boxes for an ideal breakfast.

On the other hand, it's perfect for crusty Englishmen -- they will have something to complain about all day, and thus be happy. :happy0148:

Sorry, couldn't resist; didn't mean to hijack, either. I've got some (American) thoughts on brekkie in Patts, which I'll will share anon -- but time for class right now, so it will have to wait.

Jolly's on Soi Buakhao, directly opposite the Chaba Hut.

This is my favourite and most preferred place to have breakfast in Pattaya and their breakfast is served 24 hours a day and costs B139.

Jolly's full English breakfast consists of: -

Heinz baked beans, two pieces of well-cooked bacon (not rashers), fried potatoes, mushrooms, fried tomato, two eggs (fried or scrambled etc.), two decent sausages (but not the big fat ones) and a big mug of tea or coffee and one slice of toast with marmalade.

I have eaten breakfast at Jolly's on so many occasions over the years but for me I only  visit for the all day breakfast. But they do a very popular all-you-can-eat Sunday roast buffet too, where you often find Karl and Lita.

even with a large dollop of HP (again, accept no substitute) sauce.  

Time was that I would have entirely agreed with you but....last time back in UK I stayed with my brother and family.  They were on a temporary boycott of HP for having changed the century old recipe (First World problems eh?) and had switched to Daddies.

Can't emphatically say it changed my life - that would be a wee bit sweeping - but hey, it's great.  Daddies all the way for me now...

Great thread idea as well.  Looking forward to a few breakfast blow-outs later in the year with you my friend.

Any other suggestions, chaps?

Yes. Another good 'Full English' breakfast you can to try would be at Cafe Pitini, near to Jolly's on the other side of the 7-11. Very nice indeed but their breakfast stops being served around 5pm. They serve two slices of great bread with the breakfast too, an important factor for me, one brown and one white slice from proper loaves. Their other meals are excellent and very fairly priced also.

In fact Pitini get their bread from 'The Continental' which also do a very nice breakfast. The Continental is located at the bottom of Soi X-Zyte close to Chiapoon, about 10 seconds walk from Oasis on Buakhao.

I look forward to your reviews of those places  :party0021:

Time was that I would have entirely agreed with you but....last time back in UK I stayed with my brother and family.  They were on a temporary boycott of HP for having changed the century old recipe (First World problems eh?) and had switched to Daddies.

Can't emphatically say it changed my life - that would be a wee bit sweeping - but hey, it's great.  Daddies all the way for me now...

Great thread idea as well.  Looking forward to a few breakfast blow-outs later in the year with you my friend.

Funnily enough Daddies Brown Sauce is a "must" for me too and I always take a bottle with me when visiting the LOS, I had a wry smile on my face when the staff at the Stag's Head had a puzzled look on their faces when they saw the bottle of Daddies and black pepper on my table as they delivered the English breakfast (inc in room price for two persons).

I like the breakfasts at the Chow Soy (apart from the sausage), Witherspoons and the Canterbury Tales ( 99 baht)

If Im feeling peckish at 3am in the morning Crazy Dave's (open 24 hours) works for me too, even though it has a rep by some as being a "greasy spoon" establishment I find it ok and good value

Is this thread only for "Full English" breakfasts? If so, please delete my post.

My favourite breakfast when in LOS is Congee, the boiled rice dish found in every Asian country under one name or another.

I like it served with prawns but pork & chicken are popular. 

It is essential to have the traditional condiments with it which are dry chilli flakes, rice wine vinegar, light soy sauce & sugar. I can't take the sugar as I have zero tolerance for it but a deft mix of the other three are needed. Best to add a bit of each to taste until you get the balance right.

I always had it at the Penthouse Hotel. I won't say it was the best because I never had it anywhere else but the cook was very pretty & I would flirt with her every morning. And I can't remember enjoying it as much as I did hers. Plus it was a great start to the day, not heavy but plenty of carbs for shagging. Sausages & bacon can't compete IMO.

My personal Fav. is Greg's Kitchen purely because its good and consistent for the last 10 or so years I have been going.  greg still whines away about how bad things are etc etc but he is a good sort.       Located now in Drinking Street top end of 2nd Rd by the Miss Tiffany show.    Big complex of bar beers just bit further up and Greg's is on the right in one of the shophouses which face the bar beer complex.   

The usual fare consisting of Sausages, Bacon, fried potato, eggs, beans, toast, marmalade, OJ, Tea or coffee.   All perfectly good - about 170b from memory.   

By the way, nobody uses Heinz baked beans - they are WAY too expensive as an import item.   There are some local brands better than others but its deffo not Heinz.    The ketchup maybe real but the beans are not.

Is this thread only for "Full English" breakfasts? If so, please delete my post.

My favourite breakfast when in LOS is Congee, the boiled rice dish found in every Asian country under one name or another.

I like it served with prawns but pork & chicken are popular. 

It is essential to have the traditional condiments with it which are dry chilli flakes, rice wine vinegar, light soy sauce & sugar. I can't take the sugar as I have zero tolerance for it but a deft mix of the other three are needed. Best to add a bit of each to taste until you get the balance right.

I always had it at the Penthouse Hotel. I won't say it was the best because I never had it anywhere else but the cook was very pretty & I would flirt with her every morning. And I can't remember enjoying it as much as I did hers. Plus it was a great start to the day, not heavy but plenty of carbs for shagging. Sausages & bacon can't compete IMO.

Have to agree with pacman here, except he's missing a key addition - the youtiao (Chinese donut). Pacman, you have to give it a try! It's kind of like rice porridge or gruel, depending on what consistency they prepare it, but really delicious when done right. My favorite BKK hotel serves this as one of the complimentary breakfast choices.

post-289-0-22239700-1369858351_thumb.jpg

Have to agree with pacman here, except he's missing a key addition - the youtiao (Chinese donut). Pacman, you have to give it a try! It's kind of like rice porridge or gruel, depending on what consistency they prepare it, but really delicious when done right. My favorite BKK hotel serves this as one of the complimentary breakfast choices.

The Youtiao? Sorry RX, I've had Congee many times but I have never been offered that. As chance would have it, I had lunch today at my favourite Yum Cha place & I saw they had Rice Porridge on the menu. (Rice Porridge/Congee - same same)

There in the same section I saw they had fried dough on the menu. An unusual dish by any name. Is that the same thing?

If it is, I will order it on my return. If you recommend it, that's good enough for me. 

My breakfast of choice had always been the Pig and Whistle, they always seem to have home style food there and genuine UK products.

I popped into the butchers arms last year and they done the breakfast of champions...

One of the first breakfasts I have had some serious issues eating the lot of it, my date could not believe they put so much food on the plate.

BD

post-1480-0-52706700-1369922207_thumb.jp

The Youtiao? Sorry RX, I've had Congee many times but I have never been offered that. As chance would have it, I had lunch today at my favourite Yum Cha place & I saw they had Rice Porridge on the menu. (Rice Porridge/Congee - same same)

There in the same section I saw they had fried dough on the menu. An unusual dish by any name. Is that the same thing?

If it is, I will order it on my return. If you recommend it, that's good enough for me. 

pacman, actually it isn't commonly included in most Thai restaurants, unless they also mainly specialize in Chinese dishes. I buy the youtiao's from a sidewalk vendor just around the corner from the hotel. 10 Baht for a bag of about 10 pieces, can't beat that!

The fried dough description on the Yum Cha place sounds right (the direct translation means oil fried stick) - give it a try the next time you order congee.

Rosie O Gradies on Soi 7 is a hearty big English breakfast and thats just the standard one. The full Monty English is ok if you resemble the Incredible Hulk but takes a year off your life span. Lovely mug of tea as well and big toast as it should be

proper Sausages as well. cant fault it. Thumbs up

Ive been using them for a long time and never had any issues. Nice GG staff .... a Northern gent from UK runs it and always a nice hello with a few pleasantries

This is the best IMO after 25 years of LOS on and off.. take my word for it

My breakfast of choice had always been the Pig and Whistle, they always seem to have home style food there and genuine UK products.

I popped into the butchers arms last year and they done the breakfast of champions...

One of the first breakfasts I have had some serious issues eating the lot of it, my date could not believe they put so much food on the plate.

BD

A fine looking plate of food BD, do you remember the price?

@ Route67 when you visit the Irish Rover make sure you ask for the black pudding if you like it.  For some reason they tend not to include it although it's part of the meal.  PD and myself had a few brekkies there at various times of the day and it is great value for 99 Baht.  2 eggs, 2 bacon. 2 sausages, fried bread, toast, hash brownie thing, tomatoes, beans, black pudding hopefully, mushrooms, juice and tea/coffee, have I forgotten anything PD or Williethepimp? 

Rosie O Gradies on Soi 7 is a hearty big English breakfast and thats just the standard one. The full Monty English is ok if you resemble the Incredible Hulk but takes a year off your life span. Lovely mug of tea as well and big toast as it should be

proper Sausages as well. cant fault it. Thumbs up

Ive been using them for a long time and never had any issues. Nice GG staff .... a Northern gent from UK runs it and always a nice hello with a few pleasantries

This is the best IMO after 25 years of LOS on and off.. take my word for it

Agree on Rosie's but for me maybe different reasons.    I just find it convenient and quite OK when in that part of town.   It used to be one of my regular stops and often was when Anaconda was open but for dinner.  Before that was Simple Simons in Jomtien soi 5.   Now parking has become more difficult, so i tend to go where its easier.  Certainly nothing wrong with most of the western operated joints.    

At the end of the day - its mostly splitting hairs as the overall standard is (relatively, given we are talking English breakfasts in Thailand) so high as to be hard to find a crap breakfast.   They exist but often have redeeming factors - some of the dishes masquerading as American breakfast are truly appalling.    However in some of those places you get great coffee or great freshly squeezed juice.   

Good thread by the way - I had never heard of the place near Papagogo for example.   

• 1 month later...

Irish Rovers is both tasty and an excellent deal!    :party0021:

And they serve brekkie until they close sometime after midnight so good for late risers.

Wound up going there to watch NFL games and ordering breakfast is a good alternative to beer even though as they say, "beer is not just for breakfast anymore"

• 3 months later...

Irish Rovers is both tasty and an excellent deal!    :party0021:

And they serve brekkie until they close sometime after midnight so good for late risers.

Wound up going there to watch NFL games and ordering breakfast is a good alternative to beer even though as they say, "beer is not just for breakfast anymore"

We had this great deal only yesterday afternoon.  The tea/coffee plus the orange juice are out of shot.  Eggs done to your request.  Aroi!

post-106-0-61073200-1384875330_thumb.jpg