The Big Breakfast

Guest route67

• 10 months later...

In a Ride For Kicks video that Dukey just posted, it seems that the Hideaway now has a 99 baht breakfast.  I'm not sure if coffee is included but if it does include their brewed coffee it's an excellent deal as their coffee is quite good and their competition, Cheap Charlies, has a good brekkie deal but with mediocre coffee.

it seems that many places with good breakfast deals serve shitty coffee with those deals and I doubt that the extra cost to the business is all that much which could be made up by skimping elsewhere in the breakfast.

• Like 1

If there was a Romscar for best breakfast then the Hideaway @ 99 baht would get my vote!

The Hideaway traditionally has emphasised quality but didn't seem keen on competing pricewise.  With only expats left in town and the Cheap Charlie brekkie only a few minutes away, Hideaway has now chosen to compete on price.

I strongly prefer the Hideaway American breakfast to Cheap Charlie's American breakfast at the exact same price. 

Hideaway's breakfast includes a hash brown patty which CC lacks.  Hideaway's coffee is also a clear winner.  Their bacon and sausage seemed tastier.  You get three pancakes instead of two.   You get real maple syrup.  OTOH, Cheap Charlie's gives you toast and butter.

I prefer the Hideaway's ambiance.  Nothing wrong with the functionality, fans, and comfort of CC,  but the Hideaway seems both trendier and cozier and it's also a plus not to be directly on Buakhao.  

Note, you get 2 eggs with the brekkie but I don't like eggs so said skip the eggs and they wound up giving me extra bacon but that might depend on the mood of the waitress.  But it was a pleasant surprise!

The Hideaway also has an English breakfast at 99 baht which is also an excellent value.  Nicky's, a favorite of the Brexiteer crowd in that neighborhood, also has an English breakfast but looking at the pic outside their joint it didn't appear that it includes coffee or tea.  It very well might but I won't be finding out as Nicky's chooses to end it's breakfast at 1PM in a town where many eat breakfast well after 1PM.  Not sure how late the Hideaway serves breakfast but I ordered mine after 2PM.

Here's a pic of the Hideaway's Breakfast that I ordered:

hideaeayambr.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

If there was a Romscar for best breakfast then the Hideaway @ 99 baht would get my vote!

The Hideaway traditionally has emphasised quality but didn't seem keen on competing pricewise.  With only expats left in town and the Cheap Charlie brekkie only a few minutes away, Hideaway has now chosen to compete on price.

I strongly prefer the Hideaway American breakfast to Cheap Charlie's American breakfast at the exact same price. 

Hideaway's breakfast includes a hash brown patty which CC lacks.  Hideaway's coffee is also a clear winner.  Their bacon and sausage seemed tastier.  You get three pancakes instead of two.   You get real maple syrup.  OTOH, Cheap Charlie's gives you toast and butter.

I prefer the Hideaway's ambiance.  Nothing wrong with the functionality, fans, and comfort of CC,  but the Hideaway seems both trendier and cozier and it's also a plus not to be directly on Buakhao.  

Note, you get 2 eggs with the brekkie but I don't like eggs so said skip the eggs and they wound up giving me extra bacon but that might depend on the mood of the waitress.  But it was a pleasant surprise!

The Hideaway also has an English breakfast at 99 baht which is also an excellent value.  Nicky's, a favorite of the Brexiteer crowd in that neighborhood, also has an English breakfast but looking at the pic outside their joint it didn't appear that it includes coffee or tea.  It very well might but I won't be finding out as Nicky's chooses to end it's breakfast at 1PM in a town where many eat breakfast well after 1PM.  Not sure how late the Hideaway serves breakfast but I ordered mine after 2PM.

Here's a pic of the Hideaway's Breakfast that I ordered:

hideaeayambr.jpg

Looks pretty good but those pancakes need a bit of a tan, don't even look fully cooked 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2019 at 6:59 AM, Pdoggg said:

Cheap Charlies is only 2 minutes from Baby Boom on Buakhao.    Worth trying once to see if it suits you because the price is right.

My last visit to Pattaya was August 2019, I ate at Cheap Charlies several times and there was a tall, sexy ladyboy working there.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, duke007 said:

I know you Americans love  Pancakes and Syrup

Most of us do but not me. I like salty ham, american bacon, fried potatos and biscuits. I also like traditional English breakfasts; at first beans seemed strange but I started liking them. as well.

Crazy Dave used to have a good English breakfast; open all night on Soi Pothole. Really tasted good after a night on the town:biggrin:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Yesterday I went to Olala on Dongtan Beach for their 119 baht brekkie.  The place is comfy and appealing with a seaview.  It seems much more civilized than nearby Pirate Bay.  The coffee was excellent, much better than my usual breakfast haunts.  

But the food was just so so.  The ham and small frankfurter was uninspiring. Cheese being served is a plus.  On Saturday nights they have a delicious salmon special for 250 baht. 

olala.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Yesterday I went to Olala on Dongtan Beach for their 119 baht brekkie. 

But the food was just so so. The ham and small frankfurter was uninspiring. Cheese being served is a plus.

The thought of Ham, a Franckfurter and Cheese on my breakfast plate would be totally 'uninspiring' to me too PD :biggrin:

But then again I am British and love my traditional 'English' breakkies. :hi:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If your coffee is more important than your food then check out Q+Qii across from Cafe Pitini, on Buakhao just north of Treetown.

Instead of dishwater you get a proper latte or capuchino.  The food is probably below average but at 79 baht a pretty good deal as in many places the capuchino alone would be approaching 79 baht.

Comes with bacon, eggs, little wieners, tomato, toast, butter, jam, and choice of premium coffee type. Serves at least until 6PM.  

The pic below was taken a few days ago of q+qii from Pitini.

10827.jpg

• Like 2

On of my favorite breakfasts is at Nana Jit Tung Cafe near the bottom of Pratumnak Soi 5.   They have three choices, none of which is a traditional American or proper English breakfast.  Kind of difficult to describe but comes with OJ and coffee for 120 baht.  Or for an extra 10 baht you can upgrade to other hot drinks such as a latte or cappuchino, so it comes to 130 baht.

It is an extremely relaxing place with a Japanese feel to it.  If you are in the area, pop in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

robinhood.jpg

Robin Hood's 99 baht brekkie might be the best in town.  The food is delicious and the coffee much better than Cheap Charlies or Hideaway.

Their breakfast hours have recently been restricted to Monday through Saturday up to 11AM.  If they served an all day breakfast I might be a regular.

They also have a cheerful well trained service staff as well as as Executive Chef Max who has a Michelin star.

Note the above pic doesn't have eggs since I don't eat them but rest assured they breakfast comes with eggs.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 6:32 PM, Pdoggg said:

The pic below was taken a few days ago of q+qii from Pitini.

The name of the place is not actually q+ qll but rather At All Cafe. The q+ qll is a logo whose purpose seems to be to confuse customers q+ is supposed to be At and qll is supposed to be All.

They have now raised the all day breakfast price to 89 baht from 79 baht.  If just ordering a latte or capuchino it would be about 55-60 baht so you get all the extra food for just 29-34 baht. Great coffee, so so food.

In the pic a few posts above it may not be clear which place is Pitini and which place q+ qll.  The statue with the girls making out is the highly regarded but more expensive Pitini.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:28 PM, duke007 said:

Chips with breakfast? :crazy:

I showed a Brexiteer a pic of those chips that came with fish and chips and he insisted they were not chips but rather wedges.

3 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I showed a Brexiteer a pic of those chips that came with fish and chips and he insisted they were not chips but rather wedges.

And the fine fellow would be right (on the above breakkie pic) , but they are spuds all the same, and on a breakfast???? nooooo please :crazy:

• 4 months later...

Two good breakfast options are Ye Olde Rogues Retreat near the top Pratumnak Soi 5 and the Irish Wolfhound near the top of Pratumnak Soi 4.

The Wolfound has a 99 baht all day brekkie that's good and Olde Rogues has a slightly better one for 110 along with half pints of Guinness for 100 baht. Olde Rogues has an air conditioned inside and an outdoor terrace.

Irish Wolfhound

https://web.facebook.com/Irish-Wolfhound-248462045806001

Olde Rogues

https://web.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100076182882760

• 1 month later...

Fenton said:

I have not seen a full monty  breakfast in Pattaya. You don't see the normal UK style of Bacon, just the thin streaky stuff what you get in the US. I like thick cut bacon, hard to get hold of unless you go a farm shop. So I fry a piece of Gammon instead. Fried bread, hash browns, plum tomatoes, sausages, black pudding. Oatcakes to mopp up the grease afterwards :-).

I have the opposite problem as American bacon isn't always easy to find in Pattaya.

After trying lots of places recently, my clear favorite both overall and also value for money is Ye Olde Rogues Retreat near the top of Pratumnak Soi 5. I find all ingredients and condiments to be top quality and only 110 baht.  If you want a second cup of coffee from the Bon Cafe machine it is 20 baht extra.  Very friendly service. Indoors has strong aircon.  There is also an outdoor area.  Excellent TV screens too.

Perhaps Robin Hood is as good as Olde Rogues but their brekkie is no longer remotely close to the 99 baht it was a year ago. Nicky's is probably your best bet for full monty.  I haven't tried their breakfast as the special ends at 1PM which doesn't suit my schedule.

Note,Irish Wolfhound recently raised their brekkie to 129 from 99 but I had already shifter to Olde Rogues.

• 2 months later...

I tried Kung's (soi Lengkee) for my brekkie this morning. Choice of sausage and some very crisp hash browns washed down with a cup of tea for B109. Will definitely go back again tomorrow. 

I have been going to CCs for the last week, but charging an extra B10 for jam/marmalade is a little beyond the pale. Can't fault the rewards card for B99 evening specials though.

• Like 2