Visa Overstays

pdogg

Some guys say it's not a big deal to overstay your visa especially if just a few days.  In Thailand, the fine is 500 baht per day.

OTOH, I don't think it's a great idea to have an overstay stamped in my passport or red flagged in the system.  

How about you? Have you overstayed?  Think it's a big deal?

Some Thai nationals overstayed in Brunei and will get caned.  Ouch!      :girl_devil:

Btw, Brunei is the only one of the the ASEAN countries for which we have zero info on the ladyboy scene.  If anyone knows if there is any scene whatsoever please post about it.  Though maybe there's no scene because you get caned if sucking ladyboy cock?  

From the Borneo Bulletin:

Bandar Seri Begawan - Three Thai nationals - two men and one woman - were sentenced to jail, and the men, with strokes of the cane, which was passed down yesterday by the Bandar Seri Begawan Magistrate's Court after all defendants pleaded guilty to overstaying in the country without reasonable causes.

Forty-four-year-old Sombat Chamnanrop is incarcerated for six months and will be receiving three strokes of cane, while Phaisan Saensimon, aged 32, received three months' jail with three strokes of cane.

The two men were apprehended along with Sirithip Champasaeng during a raid in the morning of May 22, 2013 at the male defendants' rented home in Kg Kilanas.

Sombat was found to be a fugitive employee and earned a living on a freelance basis.

Sombat's original employment pass expired on December 3, 2008.

Meanwhile, Phaisan worked until his employment pass was cancelled and was due for repatriation on October 31, 2012 but he failed to leave the country.

As for Sirithip, she was found to have been issued a special pass initially and told to report to the Immigration Department but failed to do so.

She was sentenced to three months and a week's imprisonment for the offence of overstaying.

--Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/Local-News/three-thai-nationals-sentenced-for-overstaying.html

pdogg, I have heard many overstay horror stories over the years and none of which had a good "happy ending", pun intended.

I have heard that an overstay by a couple days or so is not a big deal, as long as it is addressed at the airport. On the other hand, if you are caught by the BIB, then the situation can become much worse. Now all of a sudden one may be looking at much larger fines (bribes) and possible jail time. I would never advocate overstaying, and getting an extension to your visa isn't that hard to do as you know. Following the rules in Thailand is always the best rule of thumb.

Regarding your post, seems a bit harsh to get wacked with the cane for a simple overstay. That has got to hurt quite a bit I am sure. Enough to deter you from repeating the offense I would think. -Swedeman007

Some guys say it's not a big deal to overstay your visa especially if just a few days.  In Thailand, the fine is 500 baht per day.

OTOH, I don't think it's a great idea to have an overstay stamped in my passport or red flagged in the system.  

Some Thai nationals overstayed in Brunei and will get caned.  Ouch!      :girl_devil:

Btw, Brunei is the only one of the the ASEAN countries for which we have zero info on the ladyboy scene.  If anyone knows if there is any scene whatsoever please post about it.  Though maybe there's no scene because you get caned if sucking ladyboy cock?  

From the Borneo Bulletin:

http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/Local-News/three-thai-nationals-sentenced-for-overstaying.html

And suddenly BigTel is reaching for his atlas and checking the price of flights to Brunei. :winking0023: 

Yeap was for me but for different reason's.

I left and returned to Thailand after a trip to see my Mum while I had a Retirement visa. ( 4 months old )

They gave me 15 days stay on return and my RV was cancelled for one stupid reason.... I didnt have a re-entry permit. I had no idea of this at the time because in my mind I had a RV and didn't check the dates stamped.

A re-entry permit is cheap and easy thing to get but I had not been told about one or even heard of one. Plus at check in no one just happened to mentioned it as a cautionary note so I was doomed for punishment for my ignorance

A month later luckily at immigration doing other things I was told I was on over stay and needed to go to Malaysia asap and get a 'cat' o visa to be legal again.

This I did and it was a nightmare, expensive, frustrating and boring trip.

Yes I could have made it an enjoyable trip but the timing and every day counting mean't I had to drop every thing and go then.

I would have rather had the 3 'strokes' of the cane.... but by an oiled up naked Lb in high heels using her weaker arm   :movethatass:

I had 54 days overstay in 2010. Paid 20 k at airport. It was business as usual to them

That's the one I was waiting for  :biggrin:

Having said that, being discovered as an illegal alien while not at the airport (or without doubt en route to it) then it could have been a very different story. Slap a farang in jail if he fails to pay an inflated fine, so still business as usual for the Thais.

Personally I would never risk it, although I did a one day overstay once and there was no fine for that. But it's sometimes not about the fine, it's the other potential dramas which could so easily come about.

• 1 month later...

They are cracking down on overstays in Phuket.

Immigration officials have been combing through records and identifying foreigners whose names appear in the computer as having arrived in Thailand but who do not appear as having left before the expiration of their permit to stay. Undercover officers are then going out and finding them.

This week a Canadian was arrested on Monday and a Briton on Tuesday.

Today it was the turn of another British citizen, Andrew Ross John Jasso, 33, found to have overstayed by three months in Thailand case.

Police did not have to go far to find him; he was arrested in front of the Phuket library at 9:30 am. The library is about 200 metres from the Phuket Immigration offices.

An Immigration officer told The Phuket News, “He had been working for a boatbuilding company in Chalong, but the owner closed the business and went back to Britain. Jasso stayed, living in a hotel in Phuket Town.

“This is not the first time he has overstayed. He was arrested before at Phuket International Airport for the same thing.

“We have handed him over to Phuket Town Police Station for more questioning.”

• 1 year later...

I had 54 days overstay in 2010. Paid 20 k at airport. It was business as usual to them

Only 54 days how about two years.

This guy must take lessons from  Mayweather

A French expat wanted for beating his girlfriend was arrested and deported after immigration police discovered he had overstayed his visa by two years.

Medhi Karim Draoui, 32, was captured by Pattaya police and Chonburi Immigration Office April 20. He’d been wanted on a warrant after his ex-girlfriend brought assault charges against him.

Draoui said that he entered Thailand March 19, 2013 on a one-month passport visa exemption.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/alleged-girlfriend-beating-frenchman-deported-for-overstay-46637

• 2 months later...

If you overstay your visa and don't have money for the fine you could go to the monkey house according to this article.  But these thre girls had gthe luck of the Irish and a kind hearted couple gave them the money.

THREE IRISH STUDENTS were facing what could only be described as a worst nightmare in Thailand when a fellow Irish couple came to their rescue – and they didn’t even know each other’s names.

Julianne Ní Laoire and her boyfriend John O’Brien, both from Tralee, were waiting for a flight of their own in Thailand’s Surat Thani airport last week when they noticed three young women in a state of distress in the airport terminal.

“We were waiting to fly to Bangkok from where we were going to be flying home. We were at the end of a three-and-a-half week holiday after graduating, when we saw these girls running around,” Julianne told TheJournal.ie.

It’s a really small airport, and well you know the way you know Irish people when you see them, we just knew, and then one of them shouted ‘Maeve’ and we were like “yeah, you’re Irish!”

The girls in question were Sorcha Cotter, Maeve Nevin Maguire and Nicole Yap – students from UCC who were seeking to continue their summer holidays in Malaysia.

thai1-594x500.jpg

Due to a mix-up the girls had accidentally over-stayed their visa in Thailand by seven days, something the airport authorities didn’t take kindly to. They were slapped with an on-the-spot fine of 10,500 baht (500 baht each per day), the equivalent of €300, and told that if they couldn’t pay they’d be taken to a police station and prosecuted.

“This girl sat down beside me and just broke down in tears, she said their flight was already half an hour late and they had a problem with their visas. I was just like “it could be worse. you could be in hospital”,” says Julianne.

She calmed down a little then and her and her friends disappeared. A short time later one of the girls came back to us and asked could they have 400 baht (about €10), and we said of course. Then they were worried about giving us change and we said “don’t be worrying, have a safe trip.”

What Julianne didn’t realise was that that €10 was the difference between jail and freedom for the three – pulling everything they had together (the girls were only able to contact one set of parents for aid, and all this took place at 5am Irish time) they had come up €12 short.

We didn’t think about it again until we were coming home last Thursday, pulling into Tralee and reading the story of the three girls – we had no idea they could have gone to jail.

As it was, Maeve, Nicole and Sorcha were all able to make their flight which must have been an enormous relief to put it mildly.

11667366_10205747181453380_1708028243717 Source: Sorcha Cotter/Facebook

Once settled from their experience they set about locating their saviours. As it transpired they have mutual friends on social media (all three girls attend UCC, from which Julianne (commerce and Iralian) and John (geology) have just graduated).

“From the bottom of our hearts we are so grateful for their kindness,” Sorcha Cotter said on Facebook.

It’s so nice to know that no matter where you are in the world Irish people will always help each other out – even if it is just €12!

You can read Sorcha’s Facebook description of her and her friends’ ordeal here.

http://www.thejournal.ie/thailand-couple-2215421-Jul2015/

• 1 month later...

He asked to be deported which I reckon is preferable to the monkey house.

A broke Norwegian was arrested for overstaying his visa by nearly three months.

Tom Henning Bruvold, 47, was apprehended Aug. 17. He claimed he lost his travel documents.

Immigration officials checked his travel history via computer and determined he entered Thailand on April 22 on a 30-day visa waiver that expired May 21.

He was charged with overstaying 86 days.

Bruvold finally admitted he had not intended to stay in Thailand longer than his visa allowed, but he had run out of money and asked to be deported home.

• 1 month later...

Thousands Arrested as Visa Overstay Bans go for PM’s Endorsement

BANGKOK — Harsher punishments introduced last year for foreigners who overstay their visas might be strengthened by the prime minister’s pen as immigration police announced more than 9,000 people were arrested during the past week.

Aiming to reduce illegal immigration by 80 percent, immigration officials have asked Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha to use his special power granted after the 2014 coup to reaffirm rules introduced last year banning foreigners from Thailand for one to 10 years, depending on the length of overstay.

“The current punishment for overstaying is a 500-baht fine, the maximum is a 20,000-baht fine and sending them back to their countries,” said Immigration chief, police Lt. Gen. Nathathorn Prousoontorn. “So the next day, they can just travel back here as we don’t have a blacklist system like other countries.”

The rules have already won approval from the Interior Minister and have been submitted to Prayuth to consider.

Authorities on Sunday also revealed they arrested 9,265 people suspected of being in the country illegally during a seven-day operation which ended Sunday. Police said they want to reduce the estimated 800,000 people in Thailand illegally by 80 percent.

Almost all – nearly 98 percent – of those arrested face charges under the 1979 Immigration Act, police said, with 18 others facing other criminal charges and 209 accused of other offenses.

Immigration, a matter of cyclical enforcement and periodic crackdowns, returned to urgency after the bombing of a popular tourist attraction in August killed 20 people. Most of the suspects identified in the ensuing investigation appeared to have entered the country illegally, possibly by paying cash bribes at border checkpoints.

In 2013, 70,175 foreigners were arrested for overstaying their visas.

The penalties announced Sunday are identical to regulations announced by the immigration bureau last year that have been in effect since Aug. 17, 2014.

Foreign nationals who remain in the country more than 90 days after their visa expires are to be banned for one year. Those who overstay for one year, three years or five years are forbidden from re-entering the country for three years, five years and 10 years respectively. If they don’t turn themselves in and are instead caught by police, those who have overstayed less than a year would be blacklisted for five years while those with over a year face a 10-year ban.

Police also announced they arrested six foreigners from four cases including two Russian fraud convicts sought by Interpol, two Cameroonians convicted of forging documents, a Korean man sought on a Korean warrant relating to onling gambling and a Burmese man convicted of using a faking the immigration stamp.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1445842636

post-7348-0-39813400-1445893929_thumb.jp

Wearing shirts that say 'detainee,' foreign nationals accused of being in the country illegally were displayed Sunday at the immigration police headquarters in Bangkok.

• 6 years later...
On 5/25/2013 at 9:10 AM, pdogg said:

On 5/26/2013 at 10:30 AM, dixon cox said:

Personally I would never risk it, although I did a one day overstay once and there was no fine for that. But it's sometimes not about the fine, it's the other potential dramas which could so easily come about.

I miscalculated the length of my stay due to having to rebook flights, ASQ hotel and condo rental. I thought I would be returning on 31st day, but that as flight was at 0015 I would be already checked in and onboard plane it would be ok.

Actually my flight was on 32nd day and I checked in at 1830 on 31st day. I didn't realise until the lady at Immigration told me to go with another immigration officer who put a stamp in my passport. 

I wasn't fined but wonder if it might affect any possible future trips.

Screenshot 2022-03-06 15.19.32.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quietguy said:

Immigration told me to go with another immigration officer who put a stamp in my passport. 

Are you talking about the red stamp in your passport?  

Looks like you overstayed 1 day.   Think if you overstay 1 day there is no fine but if you overstay 2 days then the first day is not free.

Or maybe the red stamp is a special thing they do for cowpokes!    :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I wasn't fined but wonder if it might affect any possible future trips.

I had 54 days overstay once. I pulled 20K before getting in taxi to airport. Almost slipped through, but ended up handing over the cash. This is a decade ago and won’t do it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seven said:

I had 54 days overstay once. I pulled 20K before getting in taxi to airport. Almost slipped through, but ended up handing over the cash. This is a decade ago and won’t do it again.

I had a one day overstay once and of course worried myself sick that because of that I would never enjoy the company of a LB again, as in forever!  But 54 days?!

Surely a 54-day overstay is Romscar worthy!

• Like 1