Strong Baht Weak Baht

pdogg

In 2000 it was >43, and after the devaluation in 97 even higher.

If one studies the THB, they should see that on average the best time to exchange money is during the low season.

That's what's great about having a bank account here, one can wire money any time they want. And TT rates are always better than street rates.

• 1 month later...

Suspect the USD will gain vs both the Euro and the Baht today and think the Baht will gain against the Euro.

Early Returns Show Greeks Decisively Rejecting Terms of E.U. Bailout Sunday, July 5, 2015 2:38 PM EDT   Greek voters appeared to decisively reject a bailout deal offered by the country’s creditors two weeks ago, an outcome that could redefine the country’s place in Europe and shake the Continent’s financial stability. As celebrants began to gather in Athens’s central Syntagma Square, the Interior Ministry projected that more than 60 percent of the voters had said no to a deal that would have imposed greater austerity measures on the beleaguered country.

and as of a few days ago when I checked, ROUND TRIP from NYC to Bangkok was $750, 1000 from Atlanta. Cheaper than my first flight in 2007.  Of course by November it'll be $1400 and the baht will be back to 31 to the dollar hahahaha

crossing my fingers from now til October :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, bully for you guys. Just take a look at the Canadian dollar. Presently I might be able to afford to visit my neighbour down the block but only for a few hours. The Canadian dollar is sinking so fast if I stay there for dinner I might not be able to afford the bus ride back home. 

Yeah, bully for you guys. Just take a look at the Canadian dollar. Presently I might be able to afford to visit my neighbour down the block but only for a few hours. The Canadian dollar is sinking so fast if I stay there for dinner I might not be able to afford the bus ride back home. 

I think the looney :nhl:  is highly correlated with commodity prices and oil is at a 6 year low,  

WELLINGTON (BLOOMBERG) - Thailand's baht drove further losses among Asian emerging-market currencies after a deadly bombing in Bangkok and a selloff in commodities. Oil maintained declines at a six-year low, while stocks in the region climbed for the first time in three days.

The baht slipped as much as 0.8 per cent to 35.648 per US dollar on Tuesday (Aug 18), its weakest intraday level since April 23, 2009. It was down 0.4 per cent to 35.523 by 10:59 am in Tokyo.

The baht also weakened against the Singapore currency, trading at 25.27 to the Singdollar at about 11:15am on Tuesday, down from Monday's close of 25.09.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/baht-leads-more-declines-among-asian-currencies-afer-deadly-bangkok-bombing

• 4 months later...

Not now . the world is fucked my friend and the £ is sunk for now.... 1.48 and falling... 

Jesus what a shit year this going to be,  its going South all around pretty fast

When the world is fucked then the USD gets strong.

Europe and the UK have a refuge problem.  The Aussie dollar and the Looney are highly correlated with commodities. That leaves the greenback sitting pretty.  

The USD/THB is nearing the highs of last October and could very well break through.

40 baht per dollar is not out of the question.

good,luck to you guys in USA  $...

One fear in EU is China going down the pan and fear of oil10 bucks ... lack of confidence.. ouch

For Russians will be far far worse....the emerging markets are fucked up where as in 2008 they were not so .

Also You can charter a Container ship in China for $2500 a day ... shit , whats happening ( was$250,000 in 2009)

If anyone has job in ten years time they will be the lucky ones ( 4th Industrial revolution is coming )

... i wish i had a crystal ball now ..i lost big time after 2008 crunch ( i have to buy stock in $US)

• Upvote 1

Not now . the world is fucked my friend and the £ is sunk for now.... 1.48 and falling... 

Jesus what a shit year this going to be,  its going South all around pretty fast

Yeah I noticed that earlier today when I looked at the XE Currency Converter, down 2 baht to the £1........mai pen rai 

I just did an ATM pull a few hours ago and got US$ = 36.17 baht. I think a couple of times last trip I got 36.2+ but this is pretty close to the top for me. My very first trips in 2006 I got 37-38+ but it went down rapidly at the beginning of 2007. And it's taken many years to recover. I suppose when the world economy recovers a bit it will but good times for others and the US$ will tank again. But enjoying the ride for the moment.

200 baht ATM fee at Krungsri would be a bit painful if my card didn't refund ATM fees. 

• Upvote 1

I just did an ATM pull a few hours ago and got US$ = 36.17 baht. I think a couple of times last trip I got 36.2+ but this is pretty close to the top for me. My very first trips in 2006 I got 37-38+ but it went down rapidly at the beginning of 2007. And it's taken many years to recover. I suppose when the world economy recovers a bit it will but good times for others and the US$ will tank again. But enjoying the ride for the moment.

200 baht ATM fee at Krungsri would be a bit painful if my card didn't refund ATM fees. 

Same for me. Charles Schwab is a great bank for international travelers as they refund ATM fees worldwide.

Same for me. Charles Schwab is a great bank for international travelers as they refund ATM fees worldwide.

Yes indeed. As I haven't been paying much attention I was just looking at a chart of the baht vs the dollar. It's gone down about .25 baht to the dollar in the last two days. So two days ago i would have likely gotten 36.40 which would be the highest for sure since 2006. That is over 200 baht more.