already in LOS i need 30 more days--new tourist visa or cheap visa run?

thaibound

i've done more than a fair amount of googling but can find no report on how (indeed *if*) i can get a tourist visa (good for 60 days on usa passport) now that i am already in LOS on a 30-day entry stamp.

i need another 30 days, so if i can't get a tourist visa from inside LOS, i'll need to fly out on a visa run (land-return only garnering me another 15 days).

so--anybody know if/how i can get that tourist visa good for my full 60 days? if it can be done for no more than the cost of flying out and back, i'd rather stay put.

--but... if i do have to fly out and back, the best (cheapest) deals i've found so far are flights to PNH (phnom penh) on cambodia/angkor air for about $160+  -- with flights to KUL and SGN (air asia) being a bit higher.

i figure where ever i go there'll be enough lb action/entertainment to tide me over for a couple nights, so it's really a matter of least cost and least aggravation...

any advice greatly appreciated.

I can answer this one. You have a 30-day entrance stamp, not a visa. A 30-day stamp cannot be extended within Thailand. If you take a "visa-run" company, all you will get is a 15-day entrance stamp (regulation change from 2012). You are limited to 3 15-day stamps. The alternative is to go to Laos and apply for a proper tourist visa. The cost at the Thai consulate in Vientiane is (if memory serves me correctly) 1900 baht (payable in baht, dollars, or kip). If you have any other questions, let me know. 

• Upvote 1

thanks Wangsuda,

just to be clear, if i can't get a new tourist visa while inside LOS and therefore must leave LOS anyway, there's no point in my bothering with a tourist visa as i will at that point only need another 30-day stay (i'm already booked out to PH at that point), so, if i have to leave the country no matter what...i'll just get another 30-day stamp for free upon my immediate return.

i was really trying to avoid the "visa run" (technically a "new entry stamp run" to be precise) altogether.

so...unless someone has a secret method for obtaining a new tourist visa while in-country, i guess i'll just keep searching for the cheapest flight out and back....maybe it will be to vientianne...i just won't bother with a trip to the embassy while there...

you can get a 7 day medical extension with a doctors note, usually saying you have Bangkok Belly will do it. But its a hassle, there might be fees, and its really not worth it.

As noted to get a 60 day tourist visa ( single or multiple entry) you need to leave the country, I've always used Vientiane, Laos. Just book a cheap flight to udon thani, then a 200 baht shuttle bus to friendship bridge.

You'll need two full days, and make sure its not a holiday in Thailand or Laos.

You get a 30 day stamp if you fly out and return...even the same day...If you cross by land you only get 15 days...You would have to do 2 van runs to cambo...cost about 4000 baht all in...it ain't worth it...

Find a cheap flight somewhere...For example you can fly from BKK to Singapore in and out same day for around $170 RT...Leave in the AM return in the PM...

I know guys who have paid a service...around 8 to 10k baht to get them a new 60 day tourist visa...They just hand over their passport and a couple days later get it back with a new Thai visa...Highly illegal but somehow they do it and it works...

You can get a retirement visa while in country...Require some leg work back and forth to BKK...I don't know offhand what the cost is...

If it was me, I'd get a cheap flight somewhere. and visit some other airport for the day...Maybe even a couple days...Singapore...Singaporing...Singapored...

As Kahuna says, 30 day tourist stamp if by air.

15 days if by land,

If you get a 60 day visa you can come by land.

If you are willing to pay their price many of the Soi Buckow travel agencies can arrange for you to say with some sort of medical extension for 30 days or more.  Not as easy to do in Bangkok.

you can get a 7 day medical extension with a doctors note, usually saying you have Bangkok Belly will do it. But its a hassle, there might be fees, and its really not worth it.

oh shit. :sign0007:

i didn't bother to mention the other half of my plan.

i need a total of 67 days, so i was going to get a 7-day extension and *then* a 30-day re-entry stamp--but this is the first i've heard that there's *any* hassle at all on the simple 7-day extension for 1900thb at jomtien... :mad0235:

i guess i better get down there asap and secure it or get denied while i still have time to book a flight out of dodge b4 my 1st 30 days are up.

it's starting to sound like a few days twiddling my thumbs in vientianne waiting for a real tourist visa (to cover my then-remaining 34 days) might be in my stars now...

not that i'd really mind a few days there. pleasant enough little burg...

thanks to all for the info. much appreciated.

:character00218:

oh shit. :sign0007:

it's starting to sound like a few days twiddling my thumbs in vientianne waiting for a real tourist visa (to cover my then-remaining 34 days) might be in my stars now...

not that i'd really mind a few days there. pleasant enough little burg...

Besides twiddling your thumbs, perhaps you can play with your dick for a few extra days and fly back in and get a 30 day tourist stamp?   B)

Just a reminder guys,  it's 30 days which means only 29 nights/

If you leave the Kingdom by plane you get one free over stay day...One day of grace...

By that I mean that If you arrive at the airport and you are only one day past your visa expiration date 

there is no fine...

The fine is 500 baht per day thereafter...

If you leave by land there is no grace period...

I've over stayed several times rather than get a new visa or stamp...Ain't no big thing...

Something to consider if you're only gonna be a couple days past your visa expiration date...

Do the math arithmetic...

OK guys i'm having my stay extended by 7 days done by the visa 2 Britain agent in the immigration office compound jommtien here's the deal as im reading the business card:

- seven days; 2,500

- 30 days : 8,500

- 60 days: 12,500

- 90 days: 15,500

The catch is this what ever visa you choose is only done ONCE and NO MORE extensions !!! Hence you need to leave and come back but i'm not sure if you leave via land you can do this process again....

For more info. call and ask for Ruby who's a philipina lady speaks both english and thai, she does the visa for me all the time

off:038711145     mobile:0843626574

cheers.............

thanks to all for the suggestions.

i have managed to extend my stay from within the confines of pattaya and although i wouldn't recommend the visa centre that helped me out--they promised my passport back in two days then took four, leaving me sweating as i dreamed of where in the world my passport might be...it's all done now. :party0030:

next time i'll get the tourist visa *before* coming over here--just in case.