Vietnam LBs

KenW

Alex, I obviously don't know what research your boyfriend did, but it's the first I have ever heard of VN not tolerating LBs. They say they won't tolerate prostitution - but even that's a front - so they often associate the two. But I have never seen any intolerance for LBs, either from the general public or the police or authorities.

I have never encountered the situation of a LB from elsewhere entering VN, so cannot say about the visa situation. Presumably your Philippines visa has you ticked as a birth male? Dressed as a female on arrival may raise an eyebrow, or cause a grin or two from those in uniform, but other than that I cannot imagine a problem. If you and boyfriend are really worried about this, then just dress down for travel, in T shirt, jeans, no bra, no painted nails, no makeup (or minimal), etc, looking a bit boyish. You'd be fine then.

I know VN LBs come and go all the time, mostly to Thailand or Cambodia for sex work, often to former for body modification procedures.

I would be very surprised if you have problems.

Best of luck to you & hope it all goes OK.

I will try to do a bit of research into this myself, but cannot promise anything by way of results. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

Alex, after reading your post earlier today I was waiting for KenW to respond since I knew he was the most qualified on this forum (that I know of) to advise. He lives in VN and is fairly aware of the scene. Given what Rxpharm has posted and what KenW says I think you are fine to go. But heed KenW's advice about dressing down and coming into VN looking more like the Alex the immigration people expect to see and less of the Alex we all like.  :biggrin:

Good luck.

• Ladyboys

Thank you very much for that. there will be no problem with the visa as we are under visa exemption ti VN. I just worry about the immigration stopping me from entering cos I'm a ladyboy. I also read a few reviews about VN lbs and there is some kind of discrimination just like anywhere else but that doesn't bother me anymore, I'm used to it. lol anyway Thanks for advice about how to dress myself. I thought of doing that as well, no make up. jeans shirt rubber shoes, boyish. I could barely imagine how I would look with that look. lol thank you very much

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

A new LB documentary from Vietnam, entitled Finding Phong.

The usual plot; boy grows up feeling he is really a girl, gets to young adulthood to discover many others feel the same way, seeks Gender Reassignment Surgery, has all the complicated negotiations with family, friends, etc., for acceptance.

Advertising here: http://findingphong.com/

Video can be watched here (password VNPhong): https://vimeo.com/110754377

Enjoy!

EDIT: Have no idea what happened there. I end up with a Sorry box that says vid can't be played. Try the vimeo link & see what happens.

EDIT #2: Yep, that works. Same password as above.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

There are a few available on backpage, but they are expensive & sound a bit suss to me.

These days I am out of touch with the scene, hence cannot name a gay or LB bar in the city. But they'll be there somewhere. Will just take a bit of searching, that's all.

Probably best to just move around, do a few pub crawls, eat at various places. LBs tend to work as wait staff in eateries, or at least hang out there & in beer bars, in groups & gaggles.

If you look carefully at the CL page you'll see several claim to be visiting VN (from where: PI? BKK?).

Also several or more have three or so posts.

So all up it looks like, even though at first take the list looks long & impressive, there are really only about 4 or 5 VN LBs advertising on there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A light moment.

And a knowing headshake for those who have visited the VN LB non-scene.

After quite some time living a more or less monastic existence, I recently made a return foray out into the world of bars & late nights.

In the backpacker precinct of Saigon it can get pretty lively, though it's mostly only hetero sex & drugs & rock n' roll. But in this one bar a straight mate of mine & I ended up in he got hit on by a straight & Moi? by a LB of course. (How do they know?)

After a few drinks, we suggested going home. The straight put my mate off by saying she had her period - good grief had she no sense of adventure? Nope, she hadn't.

The LB agreed to go with me, but only after she & her boss demanded 2 million VND from me (about 100 USD) for the overnight. After giving them a drunken 10 minute gobfull (in Vietnamese) about them being rorting scumbags, I of course agreed & off we went in a taxi.

At my place she quickly showered, not allowing me to fondle & play even though I joined her under the water. To bed. Me naked on my back. She standing at foot of bed, had donned her knickers once again.

????

Now, all in Vietnamese:

She: Give me the 2 million.

K: in the morning Sweetie, after we've done the night's business.

S: Now.

etc.

She dons gear again & begins to stamp off down the stair well. I jump up, don shorts & go after her. In the parlour I unlock the front doors. She goes into the street, beginning as she does so, to shout at the top of her voice, in English, "FUCK YOU."

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU...

I stand there agog, thinking, where's she going, walking off into the night.

Slow Ken.

I poke my head around the door to see our cab, parked in front of next door's house, waiting the return fare. She must have told him to wait 10 or 15 minutes. Ha, Slow Ken indeed.

Another classic example of VNese sex work & especially LBs. Saving grace is that by their own greed & duplicity, neither she nor her Viet Kieu (Overseas VNese) boss, got a cent out of me.

• Upvote 3

Yes Mr Pdoggg, that's it exactly. Which, even for VN, is gobsmackingly brazen.

I mean, most sex workers will at least give you something for your money. Most are reasonably honourable. But this chic & her boss apparently thought going with me in a taxi ride home & showering under my water was worth me paying the loot up front, no other services offered or required. Amazing.

Funny thing is, now I can't work out my next step. Is it to simply forget about it & never darken the door of that bar again. OR is it to return & confront them, not aggressively, but just to see the looks on their faces when I make eye contact (with wallet tight shut) and once again tell them politely what scum they are (while watching over my shoulder for the guy with the baseball bat on the footpath).

The other funny thing, is that she actually lost on the venture, for the taxi she made wait, she would have had to pay the return fare to the bar. So she was out of pocket in the end, or the boss was. Apart from the 2 or 3 drinks I bought for her while at the bar.

Yes Mr Pdoggg, that's it exactly. Which, even for VN, is gobsmackingly brazen.

I mean, most sex workers will at least give you something for your money. Most are reasonably honourable. But this chic & her boss apparently thought going with me in a taxi ride home & showering under my water was worth me paying the loot up front, no other services offered or required. Amazing.

Funny thing is, now I can't work out my next step. Is it to simply forget about it & never darken the door of that bar again. OR is it to return & confront them, not aggressively, but just to see the looks on their faces when I make eye contact (with wallet tight shut) and once again tell them politely what scum they are (while watching over my shoulder for the guy with the baseball bat on the footpath).

The other funny thing, is that she actually lost on the venture, for the taxi she made wait, she would have had to pay the return fare to the bar. So she was out of pocket in the end, or the boss was. Apart from the 2 or 3 drinks I bought for her while at the bar.

Good for you Mr. Ken. However, and certainly needless to say, please be careful. I guess for you and your straight mate it was just simply the bad time of month. Chalk it up to that.  :biggrin:

• 3 years later...

I started reading KenW's thread. It's a delightful activity when you're stuck in a waiting room without knowing how long it will last. I enjoyed the great writing style. Qualité vaut mieux que quantité, n'est-ce pas ? I just read the first page.  I recognized Hai Bà Trưng in Quận 1 about which I had read reviews in travelers' blogs. I wouldn't have figured out it looked like that less than 20 years ago. Hotels Ken visited were renovated. They are now expensive 5 stars hotels. Police crackdowns had been effective. 

I'm also surprised he advised to go to PP rather than HCM. HCM is more IMHO. 

• Like 1