Question for math experts

Lefty

At the time of your post pdogg had not posted on the thread. I think you meant as I stated.

EDIT: apologies. pdogg posted in #7, I didn't post until #10. We both said it. I hadn't seen posts 7 and more because I clicked on reply and was taken straight to next page. Just caught up with those posts now.

No worries. I did see your comment, sorry I forgot to acknowledge you when I wrote my post.

If it is such an old chestnut and been around for years then why isn't the answer (7) clearly known to everybody who knows it's been googled a squillion times?

PEMDAS!!! First time I have heard of it. I know that term wasn't used to explain the process for calculating the answer when I first came across this. I am perfectly relaxed about 7 being the correct answer but I am almost certain that wasn't the answer back then. Isn't that interesting?

Two bits of evidence to back me up:

One's enough. Thank you Ken, I should know better than to argue with a man with more degrees than the temperature of boiling water.... :party0005:

PEMDAS!!! First time I have heard of it.

You're a bit younger I believe pacman, but for old farts like me, at Aussie schools in the Pleistocene, it was taught to us as BODMAS, using our more parochial brackets etc., rather than the classier American parentheses.

Nerd Alert! :character00274:

But seriously, folks -- you gents will forget (have forgotten?) more math(s) than I'll ever know. But what's really important is how funny this reads -- never has math been so entertaining!

Good show. And a forum first. (for better or worse...)

PS -- Any Science guys out there wanna talk about some "cleavage"...?

• 2 weeks later...

Fermat? I have no idea what his theory is but I vaguely recall his name.

Here's what Wikipedia turned up:

In number theory, Fermat's Last Theorem (sometimes called Fermat's conjecture, especially in older texts) states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than two.

This theorem was first conjectured by Pierre de Fermat in 1637, famously in the margin of a copy of Arithmetica where he claimed he had a proof that was too large to fit in the margin. No successful proof was published until 1995 despite the efforts of countless mathematicians during the 358 intervening years. The unsolved problem stimulated the development of algebraic number theory in the 19th century and the proof of the modularity theorem in the 20th century. It is among the most famous theorems in the history of mathematics and prior to its 1995 proof was in the Guinness Book of World Records for "most difficult mathematical problems".

I am in awe of 17th century mathematicians who understood such problems & worked out their solutions without the benefit of calculators, slide rules, decent pens & paper, let alone a computer. With all the advancements in civilisation & education, have we really got any smarter?

Remember this was the time when a 15yo barrow boy in London could pay a penny to go to the Globe Theatre & watch a new Shakespearean play & would laugh on cue at every joke because he understood every word that was said. Something no 15yo in the world today could do. OK, maybe a couple but not many.

Fermat? I have no idea what his theory is but I vaguely recall his name.

Here's what Wikipedia turned up:

[/size][/font][/color]

I am in awe of 17th century mathematicians who understood such problems & worked out their solutions without the benefit of calculators, slide rules, decent pens & paper, let alone a computer. With all the advancements in civilisation & education, have we really got any smarter?

Remember this was the time when a 15yo barrow boy in London could pay a penny to go to the Globe Theatre & watch a new Shakespearean play & would laugh on cue at every joke because he understood every word that was said. Something no 15yo in the world today could do. OK, maybe a couple but not many.

The problem with Fermats last theory was that he died before he could prove it!It was finally solved a decade or so ago,and in retrospect Fermat could probably not have solved it to the degree pure mathematics needs...it was eventually solved with the use of negative numbers ,a theory not invented until the 20th century........its a wonderful read,and even an ignoramus mathematically like me found the book and the quest enthralling.....

Robert James Waller admits to us all in a piece entitled Excavating Rachael's Room that he never once needed math in his real life..."In the real world, there is no algebra."

He tells us that in all his travels he never once had to calculate how long Smith would need to overtake Brown if Brown left before on a slower train. He admits that he would just sit in the bar car and drink and wait for Smith's faster train...

Math ain't needed for an abundant life he tells us...Only fast trains and good whiskey...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another one for you guys.

You are at your favorite Ladyboy Bar and bring a sweetie back to your room. She is quite well endowed everywhere, 400 cc (per) melons (note 3 dimensions) and a 7 inch dick (1 dimension, if you measured girth you could approximate 3 dimensions by using the formula for the volume of a cylinder).

She cums in your mouth.

She still has the big boobs but you measure her dick and it's now only 4 inches. What happened to the extra three inches?