Some new changes coming to Suvarnabhumi

rxpharm

Here's an article from Sept. 29, 2012 issue of the Bangkok Post: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/314601/airport-vultures-still-circle-prey

They will be installing one way doors on the arrivals level, in order to "reduce" the amount of illegal taxis and touts at the airport. This means an arriving passenger will not longer be able to go to level 4 and catch a taxi dropping off a departing passenger to save the 50 Baht airport surcharge.

No word on exactly when this will happen - but they've already tested in on Gate 5 of arrivals.

Thanks Rx, I remember this issue being raised before but seeing no evidence of any action when I last passed through, as I always used to do this.

But saving B50 from the normal taxi queue was just a titchy bonus, it was primarily to take a taxi of my own choosing and being in a position to more likely to get a better deal as he's already just been paid.

This could also have the side effect of potential hassle for people seeing off departing fliers and for smokers who check-in then go out for a snout before going through passport control.

The article suggests it's to prevent touts operating, but I'd go more for the theory of the AOT getting their slice of the B50 surcharge at the legitimate taxi queue under the guise of protecting tourists. Travelers who are so gullible deserve to learn the hard(er) way.

I doubt it will be as easy, but hopefully still possible, will have to wait and see the reality for myself next time I'm there.