Pattaya Hua Hin Ferry

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I want to put Hua Hin in a bubble so it never, ever changes from the way I found it. It's just about perfect if you're looking to relax as opposed to party 24/7 -- if your relaxing includes some very laid back mongering. It ain't broke so don't fix it and certainly don't fuck with it/fuck it up. But then it would be nice to just hop on a cheap boat and three hours later you're in Patts (or the other way around).

As for the quote-unquote plans, I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that this would pump 2 trillion baht (presumably that's annually) into the Pattaya economy. The vast majority of people who go to HH aren't going to go to Patts very often, and vice versa -- it's apples and oranges. I'm guessing those of us that appreciate both equally are probably few and far between; I'd hazard a guess most folks prefer one or the other -- many probably exclusively -- and would only make the trip across the bay on rare occasions.

In any event, looking forward to spending the end of the year there. :drinks::lazy:

• Upvote 2
On one hand, I want to put Hua Hin in a bubble so it never, ever changes from the way I found it. It's just about perfect if you're looking to relax as opposed to party 24/7 -- if your relaxing includes some very laid back mongering. It ain't broke so don't fix it and certainly don't fuck with it/fuck it up.

Agreed, the difficulity of getting there (relativity speaking) is probably what keeps it a somewhat mellow tourist destination. Along with you know who having a residence.

Latest update but sounds like just talk.

http://www.pattayaon...cussed-meeting/

Never assume the words "Public money" mean its a no starter. Its of course a total non starter commercially but that does not mean that they won't start it - pay some guys a shed load of money, keep it going at a loss and then eventually close it down. The ferry just vanishes and the whole project will have costs hundreds of millions - most of which will be resting in a few peoples bank accounts.

Never assume the words "Public money" mean its a no starter. ...

I was just sitting here wondering if this is some regional politician's pet project; not uncommon to see those in Thailand -- or really anywhere in the world, I suppose. Plenty of those back home, to be sure. Well, if it does come about, I'll be sure to take advantage of it, while it lasts.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/7/2012 at 7:49 AM, DownLoLarry said:

Latest update but sounds like just talk.

They are still talking.

The East-West Ferry, a proposed government project that will link to link Hua Hin to Pattaya, should be open for rides by 2020.

It currently takes about five hours to drive the 345 kilometers between Pattaya and Hua Hin, but the ferry service should take less than two hours since it goes straight across the Gulf of Thailand. The distance of the proposed route is only 105 kilometers.

The Marine Department has ordered a feasibility study for the project, which should be done by the end of this year.
The proposed ferry could accommodate 300-500 passengers per trip as well as 30-60 vehicles, reported Bangkok Post.
The project has been proposed in order to increase tourism and reduce traffic during holidays. Once in place, private companies would be contracted to run the ferry service.

A ferry has run between Pattaya, Hua Hin and Cha-am before but it lost money and closed down in 2011.
While we would be up for seeing this ferry in action, we’d really prefer if it went from Bangkok to these two getaway spots.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/23/ferry-connect-two-vacation-spots-pattaya-and-hua-hin 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This crossing has been tried a couple of times before and failed and I think this new one is doomed like the others , bad weather for half of the year means many cancellations and not sure if there is enough demand for a daily service .

Supposed to start today but guess what cancelled due to bad weather .

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1172668/weather-spoils-first-pattaya-hua-hin-ferry-service

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

May 2nd 2017

Two more boats to ply Pattaya – Hua Hin route later this month

Two more high speed catamarans will soon be plying the Pattaya to Hua Hin route after the successful introduction of the service that began in February.

Sophon Cable reported on Facebook that “Royal 2” and “Royal 3” are set to join the original “Royal 1” service after checks have been made of the boats.

Pattaya harbor master Ekachai Khantaro said that the service introduced by Royal Passenger Liner Co Ltd had been as expected and now the service is set to be expanded.

The two new boats have virtually the same specifications as “Royal 1” but are in fact a little larger. They can each carry 350-360 passengers.

Ekachai said that after seaworthiness checks have been completed it will be decided what schedule the new boats will follow that will best suit the needs of the travelling public.

He expected things to be ready for the service to be expanded to three boats later this month.

Source: STV Pattaya

boats.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Why???.

Good question Woodie!

The idea is to have a port on the Andaman Sea so that ships serving Thailand from that direction don't need to go through the Gulf of Malacca.  But I don't understand why it so important to connect the Andaman port with the Eastern Seaboard port.

bridge.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...