Who else loves western movies? Here's my top half dozen

Lefty

Ok, I guess I'm the only Tombstone, fan on here(I really can't believe this??LOL) I've seen all the movies you guys have mentioned and liked all of them for sure!

Here's one that came out the year I was born! But saw it when I was able to understand it and it's still one of my favorite westerns of all time!

Lee Marvin,Burt Lancaster,Robert Ryan,Woody Strode,Jack Palance and of course the sexy Claudia Cardinale :good: .

I've always liked this one,what about all you other fellas?

[media=]

[/media]

Another great western that I forgot to mention is Will Penny. This was Charlton Heston's personal favorite of all the movies he was ever in.

I also enjoyed Bandalero. Martin, Stewart and the beautiful Ms Welch. Strong supporting cast too.

Another excellent Peckinpah western was Ride the High Country. The swan song for two great actors in Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea. The latter did do a couple of minor projects after this but he'd have been better off if he'd taken a cue from Scott and just retired. Scott basically did because he knew it would be hard to finish up on a better note than his performance in this movie. He was only 64, but stayed away from the Hollywood scene until he passed away at age 89. Scott had always been smart with his money and died a multimillionaire.

Since a few western comedies have been mentioned, I thought I'd include the one that made me laugh the most. That would be Goin' South, starring Jack Nicholson. I could watch that movie over and over and laugh my ass off the same every time.

• Upvote 1

Lefty,

Thanks for including "Goin' South!"as i forgot about this one,great movie btw and Christopher Loyd,and John Belushi(RIP) are great in this one and of course Jack Nicholson! LOL.

Thank for the memory jog!

Always glad to help. :) When it first came out, it was running on Showtime or one of the other movie channels like 3-4 times a week it seems. A friend of mine would come over and we'd watch it again and again, laughing like maniacs every time.

"Mornin' ladies. Sure did enjoy them canned apricots last night."

I think Jack helped Christopher Lloyd get his start as well as Danny Devito who was also in Goin' South. Both of them had their first movie roles in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, as I recall. That they had encore performances with Jack leads me to believe he was impressed with their talent.

One of the best moments in Goin' South was the opening sequence with Jack on horseback being pursued by the posse. After a long chase Jack crosses the Rio Grande into Mexico, gets off his horse, looks back towards the US and taunts the posse. Suddenly in the background his horse drops dead from exhaustion. Jack does not see this but the posse certainly does. Hahahaha! Truly one of the funniest moments in cinema.

I saw a play of "Cuckoo'sNest" way, way downtown in a tiny theatre in 1972. Christopher Lloyd, Danny Davito ( & Brad Dourif & the actor that played Chief Bromden) were already acting together then before the film was made & before any of them had done any film/tv. Great show! William Devane played McMurphy & he was great. Very low budget show but memorable.

• Like 1

One of the best moments in Goin' South was the opening sequence with Jack on horseback being pursued by the posse. After a long chase Jack crosses the Rio Grande into Mexico, gets off his horse, looks back towards the US and taunts the posse. Suddenly in the background his horse drops dead from exhaustion. Jack does not see this but the posse certainly does. Hahahaha! Truly one of the funniest moments in cinema.

I believe the horse fainted.

• 4 years later...
On 7/24/2012 at 5:25 AM, SiamSam said:

What about TV Westerns like:

Rawhide (Clint Eastwood's start)

Rifleman

Gun Smoke

Have Gun Will Travel

Wanted: Dead or Alive (Steve McQueen's start)

There was a little known show called Trackdown, It stared Robert Culp who was best known from I Spy.

In this episode there is a snake oil salesman named Trump who is predicting the end of the world and only he can save the town. It gets better. How will he save the town? By building a Wall. Btw, this checks out on Snopes as real.

• Upvote 3

i'LL get back to this but McLintock! has to be one of the great western comedies. Support Your Local Sheriff also. Sequel was weak. There's also a good one where James Stewart inherits a whorehouse and Fonda goes along for the ride providing many funny observations on his pal's dilemma. True Grit rates UP there with me. Searchers also. Same for Winchester 73. I've probably got over 100 westerns on the external. Wild Bunch don't do it for me really. Memory fails me so I'll have to be home with that external to add more. Will Penny WAS a good one and let's not forget early/late westerns like The Mountain Men or Monte Walsh. I think I actually like the Selleck version better. And to that add Crossfire Trail. And the Duval one where he takes on a wagon load of Chinese girls headed for a whorehouse. Josey Wales is for sure UP THERE. SPIT...does it take out spots?

El Dorado

Rio Bravo

Little Big Man

How the West was Won

the Shootist (in the late westerns category)

• Upvote 1

great list there...to my favs above I have to add...

The Commancheros

Barbarosa

Broken Trail

Crossfire Trail

I'd have to add

the Hallelujah Trail ...in the comedy western

and Jeremiah Johnson ....in the pre western category

I mean really there are many categories of Western I think. I'd rate The Ballad of Cable Hogue as one even tho it's in a late west period and there's no cowboys, etc.  I'd break it down to Pre Western, common Western, comedy, late West, foreign Western.  I put a favorite...North to Alaska in my Westerns folder as where else should it be? They left the West, but it's close :) 

I've got 115 Westerns in my collection.

• 2 months later...

I'm downloading it right now.  I just recalled another goodie in the comedy Westen vein...The Cheyanne Social Club, where James Stewart inherits what he THINKS is a social club but is actually a whorehouse.  Henry Fonda as sidekick really makes it work.  Another great comedy oater is Support Your Local Gunfighter.  And in the pre western category, one of my all time favs...The Mountain Men, with Brian Keith and Charlton Heston cussing their way thru their travels to and from the "Rendevous".  I TOLD you they was CROW Goddammit !