Three somewhat obscure movies, everyone should see

Lefty

same same, Lefty.....I just don't get SciFi at all.

Same as Seven doesn't like westerns.

Sometimes I recommend movies to people I know and they think it sucked....and certainly vice versa.

One tip I learned from living in BKK for 5 high seasons;  never go to a movie with a ladyboy, they rarely like the same stuff we do.

same same, Lefty.....I just don't get SciFi at all.

Same as Seven doesn't like westerns.

I'm not sure if it's a case of "getting" anything. Speaking for myself that is.

I can watch anything if it is well done. Early Sci-Fi was too silly for words until Stanley Kubrick made 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was a joy to watch.

Likewise cowboy movies. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly was a revelation. It combined the best theme music with my favourite bad guy - Lee Van Cleef. It was that perfect combination that made sure I never saw cowboy movies the same way again. Here's Lee - 

post-83-0-32763500-1360058006_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a case of "getting" anything. Speaking for myself that is.

I can watch anything if it is well done. Early Sci-Fi was too silly for words until Stanley Kubrick made 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was a joy to watch.

Likewise cowboy movies. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly was a revelation. It combined the best theme music with my favourite bad guy - Lee Van Cleef. It was that perfect combination that made sure I never saw cowboy movies the same way again. Here's Lee - 

attachicon.giflee-van-cleef_i-G-54-5488-7WBWG00Z.jpg

Couldn't agree more. Saying "I don't like _______ genre" is like saying "I don't like Thursdays". No two are alike, so how can you just lump them in together like that?

When I started working in the music industry, I had a whole list of different genres I didn't like. I didn't like R&B, I didn't like punk, I didn't like country..... What I discovered was that I hadn't HEARD any R&B I liked. I hadn't HEARD any punk I liked. I hadn't HEARD any country I liked. But if I remained open, and allowed new experiences and new genres in, I found that there were amazing artists and amazing work in every genre.

On a side note, I just saw my favorite new movie of 2013 today: Zero Dark Thirty.

Couldn't agree more. Saying "I don't like _______ genre" is like saying "I don't like Thursdays". No two are alike, so how can you just lump them in together like that?

Actually, it's quite easy; just about every single sci-fi movie I have ever seen, I hated! Star WARS, Star TREK, anything with "star" in the title....any one of the 20 "matrix" movies out there.....anything with Batman or Spiderman or any other "man" in the title.....have you ever seen the commercials for Iron Man part 2, 3 or whatever?  You really expect me to sit through 2 hours of that nonsense? I enjoyed 'Twelve Monkeys'  and the first 2 Terminators,  but that's about the most I can deal with.

Same with music....I can easily lump in ALL country western and jazz songs because I can't stomach either one. Don't care for any R&B either, basically anything that comes on mainstream radio sung by people with one name only; Beyonce, Brittney, Madonna, Miley, etc..... Can't stand hip-hop or rap or whatever it's called these days, all sounds the same to me.  I like metal, punk and hard rock only, how could I put on a Garth Brooks CD? Or Lady Gaga? Not happening, sorry.  Maybe you guys are just more well-rounded than I am, who knows;  what I DO know is that after 50 years I certainly know what I want to watch and what I want to listen to, and if that excludes whole genre's, so be it.

You're wrong...Fortunately you're name doesn't appear on any of my lists...Why you have to keep repeating this over and over in thread after thread is beyond me...Let it go Lefty...

I have not repeated it over and over in thread after thread. Show me one other post besides the one just you replied to where I said I am on your "shit list".

I know your demeanor or attitude toward me has changed since sometime in October, whether you care to admit it or not. I know you have some problem with me, but you won't just come out and say what it is. 

I know you have some problem with me, but you won't just come out and say what it is. 

I am not going to go back and look through all your posts, but you have and you know that you have quoted my posts regarding my dislike for you. I am sure there are others who have seen those posts.

I don't think PD would appreciate a word war on his site. I am doing my best to avoid that. If you would stop posting shit about me it would certainly help.

Please don't comment on my posts and I promise not to comment on yours.

As an alternative, tell me you want me off the forum and I will happily leave.

Everything is up to you Lefty.

I am not going to go back and look through all your posts, but you have and you know that you have quoted my posts regarding my dislike for you. I am sure there are others who have seen those posts.

I've seen them but I declined to comment. I thought it would all blow over as just one of those things.

Lefty, there are people here who love you. Don't take things so much to heart. Forums need a bit of understanding & cooperation. And sometime if something is posted that I don't agree with, I just move on. Nothing is worth getting upset about.

And Mr K hasn't shown any bias against you that I have seen. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Please.

• Upvote 1

Same with music....I can easily lump in ALL country western and jazz songs because I can't stomach either one. Don't care for any R&B either, basically anything that comes on mainstream radio sung by people with one name only; Beyonce, Brittney, Madonna, Miley, etc..... Can't stand hip-hop or rap or whatever it's called these days, all sounds the same to me.  I like metal, punk and hard rock only, how could I put on a Garth Brooks CD? Or Lady Gaga? Not happening, sorry.  Maybe you guys are just more well-rounded than I am, who knows;  what I DO know is that after 50 years I certainly know what I want to watch and what I want to listen to, and if that excludes whole genre's, so be it.

Agree in almost everything here. I do like some country though. Not the Garth Brooks shit, but Emmylou Harris , Gram Parson. Techno and house i don't understand, just gives me a headache like all other noises in Patts.  

Techno and house i don't understand, just gives me a headache like all other noises in Patts.  

Man, don't ever go to Koh Phangan!

If it's not the relentless top 40 R&B bullshit on the beach, it's the mind-numbing techno/house/trance being played at the various parties; pure ear-bleed stuff.  I have often said that island would be perfect if they only played some decent music once in a while.

Just when I thought we had it all settled that "we all have various tastes, no one can tell us what we like or don't like" in our movie tastes, now we are being told we shouldn't just dismiss a whole genre out of hand. Problem is, some of us may have tried  those genre's and have been burned before sitting through 2 hours of pure garbage. Another one for me; Rom-Coms. I don't need to watch the latest Jennifer Aniston movie to know I won't like it, I already know!  Ditto Kate Hudson, Anne Hathaway, Matthew McCaughney, Hugh Grant, Vince Vaughan, etc, etc......yaaaawn and unfunny. IMO, of course.

Most people, especially women, would most likely hate the types of movies which I think are great. And that's OK, if we don't like the same stuff that's fine with me.

No. Its not a problem stating i don´t like  western movies. I don´t like fantasy movies either. There. Not a problem.

Fascinating to read yours & JaiDee's views on what you don't like to watch. I have no argument with either you guys, you have every right to like or dislike whatever you goddamn please. But does this mean that when a film as well done & as entertaining as Django Unchallenged comes along, you wouldn't go see it because you have already judged it & found it wanting?

Well, I can't speak for Seven Paccie, and I actually like westerns so I WILL go see Django and I am sure I will enjoy it.

But in the context you ask the question; at least for me I can usually tell what will be good or bad by who is in it.  So yes, I have already pre-judged anything after the first Pirates of the Carribean because I saw the first one and thought it was total crapola. Parts 2-6?  No thanks. Whenever Adam Sandler makes a new movie?  Sorry, I've seen him act the retarded fool in too many already, usually for my kids' sake, and won't be burned again by something as inane-looking as "Jack and Jill". Saw the first Matrix movie many years ago with a ladyboy in Bangkok; would I see another one of that nonsensical silliness?  You'd have to tie me down and force my eyelids open.

I see commercials here in America, and while a minute may not be enough to know what a movie is like, you can pretty much get the gist of it, know what I mean?  Iron Man 3 is being advertised right now, i will send up a link below; seriously, adults are supposed to enjoy that stuff? The Avengers?  The Hobbit? The Twilight Saga?  i think pre-judging those movies suits me very well; and saves me 2 hours of wasted time.

This was shown during the Super Bowl; seriously, you don't think I can watch this ad and say "hmmmm, looks like I may be skipping THAT one"?

I could count all the comedy movies I've ever actually enjoyed on my thumbs and still have a spare.

Not fair, DC;  you aren't supposed to just dismiss a whole genre of movies, aren't you open-minded?  :)

The pieces of crap that Hollywood puts forth as a "comedy" never make me laugh, either; I guess we just don't have a good sense of humor. I can honestly say that the ones I have been force-fed on an airplane or with an LB never make me laugh, I think they try waaaaaaay too hard to amuse us and usually end up flat.

A notable exception you may like if you have never seen it; "A Fish called Wanda".  Some of the Monty Python guys, as well as Jamie Lee Curtis and an excellent Kevin Kline, who got the best supporting actor for that role. Highly recommended and actually, you know, funny!

I pre-judge all the time. As you say, it saves time. But I wouldn't nail my colours to the mast & declare that I would never watch Sci-Fi or RomComs or Zombie films because I hate every single movie of that ilk. I can hate the genre but experience has taught me not to dismiss anything if it offers the promise of quality. And I don't need lots of provocation or advertising to get out of my comfort zone. Just the opinion of one or two people who come across as having a clue is enough.

I am the first to admit it has led to some bad experiences but it has also opened me to films that I would never otherwise have seen. That's how I come to see so many European Art House movies, many of which are minor masterpieces. (And many of them are pretentious crap) But having crossed the Rubicon, there's no going back. Now I pore over the public reviews on our popular movie website based on the equally popular TV show. abc.net.au/atthemovies if anyone wants to have a look. And it hasn't been updated since last year because they are still on their summer break, hence no Django, etc.

But I am not here to argue with anyone, I just offer a different perspective. And having enjoyed films I never expected to see let alone like, I recommend an open mind for any movie aficionado. I just watched Hitchcock & it focuses on his fight with the studios to get Psycho made because they all told him no one wanted to see a film about a cross dressing homicidal maniac. He nearly went broke & mad getting it made & it proved to be his biggest success. Go figure. 

I could count all the comedy movies I've ever actually enjoyed on my thumbs and still have a spare.

I can almost agree with you. I remember pissing myself laughing at that scene in Freebie & The Bean when they crashed the car into the bedroom but that was a long time ago. And most of it was rubbish. Blazing Saddles was funny, it shouldn't be dismissed even if it wasn't consistently brilliant. Flying High was similar, funny in parts. 

And you DC would be the most demanding customer. I know people who roll around screaming with laughter at old Chaplin & Buster Keating movies. I remember being taken to see Hulot's Holiday when I was a kid because it was the funniest thing ever. It wasn't. 

Comedy is always in the eye of the beholder & there's no accounting for taste. One man's laugh riot is another man's waste of time. I never, ever recommend something to anyone as funny. I just know my recommendation will come back & bite me in the arse.

Not fair, DC;  you aren't supposed to just dismiss a whole genre of movies, aren't you open-minded?  :) 

The pieces of crap that Hollywood puts forth as a "comedy" never make me laugh, either; I guess we just don't have a good sense of humor. I can honestly say that the ones I have been force-fed on an airplane or with an LB never make me laugh, I think they try waaaaaaay too hard to amuse us and usually end up flat.

A notable exception you may like if you have never seen it; "A Fish called Wanda".  Some of the Monty Python guys, as well as Jamie Lee Curtis and an excellent Kevin Kline, who got the best supporting actor for that role. Highly recommended and actually, you know, funny!

Wanda was good. Not my favourite but it had some very funny guys doing their best. 

I despair of Hollywood's attempts at making a comedy. They seem to try too hard. They throw everything but the kitchen sink at the movie trying to squeeze laughter out of some improbable situation. Hangover II was such a disappointment to me. It boggles my mind that they can spend so much money & still come up with something so predictable & so unfunny. A shame.

as Django Unchallenged comes along, you wouldn't go see it because you have already judged it & found it wanting?

Ill probably watch it, because its Tarantino. Not because its  a western. I don't have high hopes though, Inglorious basterds was crap, and i think we´ve seen the best days of Tarantino.

And like jaidee, i have a pretty good idea of what  kind of movies i will find good. Actors, director will tell me.

Is it  a Scorsese or Coppola movie starring De Niro or Pacino you know it will be a good one.

Unfortunately 98% of the movies that makes it to theaters in Thailand are imo crap. Ironman, Avengers ,Underworld, and the worst of them all : Fast and furious. Who enjoys that movie?  Its for kids and Thais.

Same with music, i don't need to check out all the r&b stuff, because i don't like the genre. Why is that so hard to understand?

I like all different types of films...

I like comedy, I like adventure, I like action, I like sci fi, I like drama, I like westerns and I like the tweeners...Those that kinda sorta don't fit in one or the other category or fit in several...

I like to be entertained...I like to be wowed...At times I like to be made to think a bit and most of all, I like to laugh and I like to cry...

I guess that I'm kinda sorta like Woody Allen in Play It Again Sam when his soon to be ex wife tells him as she is leaving him, "That's because you're one of life's great watchers."  I suppose that I too am more of a watcher than a doer...

And least we all forget...It's a business...It's an industry...Every time a film is made it is intended to make money...That means that they don't make films for a select few...They make films for a select many...

They make films to make money...Not to make art...That they do on occasion make art...Is incidental...

Ill probably watch it, because its Tarantino. Not because its  a western. I don't have high hopes though, Inglorious basterds was crap, and i think we´ve seen the best days of Tarantino.

I can't wait for your opinion of Django. I thought I must see it but I wasn't expecting something so entertaining. It's a completely Over-The-Top outrageous parody of a western that brings all the elements of so many western classics & hurls them onto the screen in a manner that took my breath away. It's terrific in parts, dumb in others, in many ways it is a complete travesty that western purists should arguably reject. But I found it marvelously entertaining & for that, I forgive it of everything else.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Not hard to understand at all. I didn't think I was writing that I'm right & everybody else is wrong. Sorry if I gave that impression. Now go see Django, it's terrific. 

Yeah, comedies are, I think, the hardest since they depend on violating some cultural norm in a way that makes us reconsider it. Slapstick is the only universal comedy, every other type depends on the values of the viewer. So even in one country there are all sorts of us who "won't get it". But we will all laugh when the powerful man slips on a banana peel or gets a pie in the face.

I'm trying to think of the last comedy I really liked & can't come up with much: Big Lebowski & Raising Arizona & the other Coen flicks. Ok not too recent, does Sidesways count? I thought that was terrific. Been watching some of the old Preston Sturges movies this past year, stone genius for comedy, he had the best title for his autobiography: "The Events Leading to My Death".

When I started working in the music industry, I had a whole list of different genres I didn't like. I didn't like R&B, I didn't like punk, I didn't like country..... What I discovered was that I hadn't HEARD any R&B I liked. I hadn't HEARD any punk I liked. I hadn't HEARD any country I liked. But if I remained open, and allowed new experiences and new genres in, I found that there were amazing artists and amazing work in every genre.

On a side note, I just saw my favorite new movie of 2013 today: Zero Dark Thirty.

Speaking for myself, when I saw I don't like_____ genre, it is as a general rule. There are some rare exceptions of course. Just not enough of them for me to want to go out of my way to view movies of those genres. If one comes on a movie channel and I happen to catch it, maybe some I will like ok. 

On a side note I watched Seven Psychopaths today, and it was really enjoyable and kept me interested all the way through. I still prefer In Bruges more, when it comes to movies by that director.