Three somewhat obscure movies, everyone should see

Lefty

I always like QT's movies but for some reason figured he was an asshole. However I heard an interview with him a few months back. He was interviewed for over an hour and I was intrigued with his intelligence, demeanour, knowledge and overall courtesy. I know the film business well and there are indeed a lot of assholes. QT is not one in my opinion.   

• Upvote 1
I always like QT's movies but for some reason figured he was an asshole. 

Isn't that interesting! I had exactly the same response when I first became aware of him Sam. And like you, once I saw him interviewed, I had a complete change of heart. He came across as highly articulate & completely passionate about his films & the film industry generally. 

I have this inkling that my original opinion of him was formed by some negative press he received when he first started. I can't say who but someone took a dislike with his obsession with violence & tried to make him out as a bad film maker or a bad influence or something awful. I remember being told Reservoir Dogs was unremittingly violent & any sensible person would leave it alone. I still haven't seen it but that doesn't qualify me as sensible.

I would rate QT as one of the great modern film makers whose style has inspired the epithet "Tarantino-esque" when describing an excessively violent film. (That's excessive in the opinion of the reviewer, not my opinion). He does draw out exaggerated performances from his leading men as evidenced by Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds, a part that irritated me & the subject of previous posts. It would appear that Leo Dicaprio gives an over-the-top job in his role in Django Unchained. But that is still to be confirmed, I only deducted that from watching the film trailer, never a good guide to anything much.

I loved Pulp Fiction, the first film of his I ever watched & I really enjoyed both Kill Bill films, I thought Uma Thurman was fabulous. She looked sensational & the scene of her driving a convertible filmed from the hood of the car in glorious black & white (it did look glorious, I've never seen B&W look like that) is one of those benchmark pieces of filmography that will live on long after all involved are dead.

My only issue with QT now is he is making the same film over & over. He changes the cast, the plot, the location & era, but the song remains the same. Injustice, redemption, violent revenge, mix & repeat. All very watchable but it's time he made a comedy or something equally different.

...and introduced the west to great actors like Christoph Weitz and Diane Kruger.

Yes JD! They're both fabulous. Christoph has the most intriguing screen presence IMO. He's the equivalent of a modern day Humphrey Bogart or someone equally eccentric. I find myself drawn to his every word. He rolls the words around in his mouth & delivers them with the most effectual delivery. A joy to watch IMO.

• Like 1

I saw QT recently promoting Django and he came across as a bit arrogant to me...He was announcing to the world that he would only make one more film...In his estimation ten films would be enough to cement his greatness as a director...He claimed that after ten films all directors are all washed up...

I don't know about that but I don't believe that he has ever won an award for his direction...

No doubt he has some great scripts...and mostly of his own making...I believe that he has won awards for his writing...

I am just still waiting for that one QT film that doesn't simply entertain me...One that creates some emotion in me...But maybe that film will never come...And maybe his greatness lies in his unique approach and in his scripts and ability to create amazing dialogue...

At any rate I seldom think of celebrities in personal terms...Like would I want to hang out with them...Largely because I know that I never will...But in truth QT doesn't seem like someone I would want to hang out with...He is far from laid back...

I was impressed with Tarantino almost from the start; he did Reservoir Dogs in 1992 and I thought it was outstanding. Pulp Fiction of course, 2 years later; even better......also liked Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds and while I didn't like Kill Bill as much as those his director's work in those was impressive. I also like the way he resurrected the careers of guys like Travolta and Harvey Keitel, and introduced the west to great actors like Christoph Weitz and Diane Kruger.

Another movie he deserves part credit for is True Romance, because he wrote it. I recall reading that when he approached the studio with his 2 scripts, Reservoir Dogs and True Romance, the studio heads liked both but because he was at that point a young unknown, they agreed he could direct one of his choice and they'd assign the other script to an experienced directer. As we know he chose R.Dogs and the late Tony Scott directed True Romance. Even without QT directing, the entire movie smacks of his influence. I actually think it is a better movie than R Dogs.

As for resurrecting careers, one could also include David Carradine in that group. Then he had his untimely death in one of our favorite cities a few years later. He's had or still having about 7 movies released posthumously. I wonder if that is a record.

Isn't that interesting! I had exactly the same response when I first became aware of him Sam. And like you, once I saw him interviewed, I had a complete change of heart. He came across as highly articulate & completely passionate about his films & the film industry generally. 

I have this inkling that my original opinion of him was formed by some negative press he received when he first started. I can't say who but someone took a dislike with his obsession with violence & tried to make him out as a bad film maker or a bad influence or something awful. I remember being told Reservoir Dogs was unremittingly violent & any sensible person would leave it alone. I still haven't seen it but that doesn't qualify me as sensible.

I would rate QT as one of the great modern film makers whose style has inspired the epithet "Tarantino-esque" when describing an excessively violent film. (That's excessive in the opinion of the reviewer, not my opinion). He does draw out exaggerated performances from his leading men as evidenced by Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds, a part that irritated me & the subject of previous posts. It would appear that Leo Dicaprio gives an over-the-top job in his role in Django Unchained. But that is still to be confirmed, I only deducted that from watching the film trailer, never a good guide to anything much.

I loved Pulp Fiction, the first film of his I ever watched & I really enjoyed both Kill Bill films, I thought Uma Thurman was fabulous. She looked sensational & the scene of her driving a convertible filmed from the hood of the car in glorious black & white (it did look glorious, I've never seen B&W look like that) is one of those benchmark pieces of filmography that will live on long after all involved are dead.

My only issue with QT now is he is making the same film over & over. He changes the cast, the plot, the location & era, but the song remains the same. Injustice, redemption, violent revenge, mix & repeat. All very watchable but it's time he made a comedy or something equally different.

Yes JD! They're both fabulous. Christoph has the most intriguing screen presence IMO. He's the equivalent of a modern day Humphrey Bogart or someone equally eccentric. I find myself drawn to his every word. He rolls the words around in his mouth & delivers them with the most effectual delivery. A joy to watch IMO.

Asking him to do a comedy would be like asking Hitchcock to do one. Kind of out of his element. QT does manage to squeeze in some moments that get laughter from the audience, due to their delivery, timing, etc. Several of Waltz's lines in Django brought laughs from the audience when I was watching it.

The final scene of KB2 includes the song Goodnight Moon, which is one I would often ask Karl to play. Then he got to where he'd just play it often when I showed up at his bar.

Christoph has the most intriguing screen presence IMO. He's the equivalent of a modern day Humphrey Bogart or someone equally eccentric. I find myself drawn to his every word. He rolls the words around in his mouth & delivers them with the most effectual delivery. A joy to watch IMO.

Saw Django today...Very entertaining...Very violent...Very Bloody...Great ensemble cast...Some great performances...I will get a DVD when available and watch it many times again...I like to be entertained...

Waltz is very good again Paccie...as is Sam Jackson...Leonardo is not bad either...Although, keep in mind that I am a big Leonardo fan...

Is it worthy of an Oscar nomination???

Not for me to say...

But there is another nominated film with a slave theme that clearly is worthy...and so is it's lead actor...Lincoln starring Daniel Day-Lewis...A truly remarkable film..

EDIT: A couple weeks back I was going through my 300 plus collection of dvds I spied one that I really like that I hadn't watched in a while so I popped it in the old dvd and it played shitty...A Thai copy...Sometimes they are real shit...So I threw it in the trash and bought another copy online and it arrived today and so when I returned from watching Django, I popped it in the old dvd...

As great a story teller as QT is he can only make certain types of films...He could not have made The Descendants...A story that makes me laugh and makes me cry...A film about life from folks who apparently have lived...It won't appeal to most of you...But to some...Maybe Sam...Maybe Paccie...Maybe JaiDee...You'll find it very moving...and very real...The Descendants...George Clooney at his very best...

Django was never going to get a nomination, whether it deserved one or not. It had too many things going against it. Too violent for a start after what happened in Connecticut. Other nominees have violence but a line had to be drawn. And if it can be agreed that the violence is all in the name of art, the prolific use of the 'N' word made sure it was not going to be get a nod. The moment I read the complaints from African-American spokespeople, I knew then it was going to be too much of a hot potato for the Academy. They get criticised for things beyond their control, they don't need to shoot themselves in the foot.

On the face of it, Lincoln would seem to have a lock on Best Picture. But all the reviews I have read & seen, (all four of them), suggest the film is an hour too long & gets badly bogged down trying to make its point. Spielberg can be very self indulgent as witnessed by some rather long movies he has made. I wonder if patriotism on the part of the Academy voters will override their subjective taste? Or will they acknowledge something more worthy? 

A movie like Life Of Pi. I saw it & found it unlike anything I have ever seen before & think it deserves all the credit it gets. Not for everyone but Ang Lee is a creative genius. IMO.

I suspect that Daniel Day-Lewis will get his third award for Lincoln but would not be surprised if Joaquin Phoenix wins for his role in The Master. He's that good. (Has he been sick? He looks positively frail in the film, there's nothing of him)

And the other outsider I would love to get up is the nine year old girl in Beasts of the Southern Wild, Quvenzhané Wallis. I was amazed by her screen presence & maturity in the film. A great film with one of those performances you see once in a decade. IMO. She's set for a huge future. And she would be a worthy winner.

If we are starting an Oscar thread, would someone please move this post over to it. Thanks.

Django was never going to get a nomination, whether it deserved one or not.

But Django did get nominated for an Academy Award as Best Picture of 2012 Paccie...

Have you seen Lincoln Paccie...There was no bog for me...Damn, Django is nearly two and a half hours long...I saw Lincoln under the worst possible conditions...The last two seats available in a crowded old theater in Mission Viejo...My attention never once strayed...And largely because of Daniel Day-Lewis and Spielberg...

I ain't seen all the other films nominated, luckily I don't get to vote, but in my mind the voters are gonna be hard pressed to find a better performance from an actor than Daniel-Day Lewis as President Lincoln...

But Django did get nominated for an Academy Award as Best Picture of 2012 Paccie...

Hey? Really? Not in the list I just googled. I am sure you will explain, I am not aware of any nomination in 2012 for Django in any category. (It wasn't even released when the 2012 list was announced.)

Have you seen Lincoln Paccie...There was no bog for me...

No. It's not released here till later this month. I am looking forward to it & of those reviews I referred to, two or three of them were by young presenters on commercial television who generally have no patience for anything. (Or so it seems)

I went onto our most popular movie review site here & the only comment they made (the two presenters of their TV gig) was this:

"It just maybe is a bit stolid on occasions".

So not really a condemnation, just an observation. The young guy I watched two days ago went on like he was having a root canal done during the film.

I ain't seen all the other films nominated, luckily I don't get to vote, but in my mind the voters are gonna be hard pressed to find a better performance from an actor than Daniel-Day Lewis as President Lincoln...

I'm sure you are right. I think Lincoln is going to do very well at the awards, it has all the gravitas of a major work, it is a celebration of all that America stands for & the voters are not going to give recognition to Les Mis set in France when they have their own story to support. Life Of Pi stands no chance & that's fine by me. 

As great a story teller as QT is he can only make certain types of films...He could not have made The Descendants...A story that makes me laugh and makes me cry...A film about life from folks who apparently have lived...It won't appeal to most of you...But to some...Maybe Sam...Maybe Paccie...Maybe JaiDee...You'll find it very moving...and very real...The Descendants...George Clooney at his very best...

Damn! Now I wish I had watched it. There were a few other films I saw around the time of its release & I chose them before The Descendants. I kept reading how good it was but I kept sitting through the trailer scanning it for signs that it would appeal to me. I think Clooney is a fine actor but it smacked too much of being some sort of family drama with problem children. I have no idea if that's what it was about but I will look out for it & make a point of watching it.

It's not about problem children...It's a story about life's messes...It's about love and caring and about human imperfections...It's about learning from others...It's about tradition...It's about paradise...

It has kinda sorta a happy ending...As happy as life will allow sometimes...Maybe y'all wouldn't enjoy it...Maybe I was wrong...Wouldn't be the first time...But because of this film my daughter has made a promise to me that I know she will keep...So perhaps I've made this film a bit more personal than it might be to others...

Same guy that did this film also did another of my very favorites, About Schmidt starring Jack Nicholson...Another nearly perfect film...

EDIT: Another film that I think Clooney is absolutely marvelous in is Michael Clayton...

I loved The Descendents,. have seen it 3 times now and recommended it to my friends.

Would hardly say it was "obscure" as it received a general 4-star rating from just about anyone who reviewed it, but for sure matched up to movies which the general public seem to eat up like candy  these days {IE, Iron Man, Batman, SuperMan....anything with "Man" ending in the title} it was relatively unknown when it came out in 2011.  I still have no idea how anything with George Clooney in it can not be automatically popular; he is one of the finest actors of this era. Also liked him in The American from 2010, another of his which was highly regarded but made just a small ripple in the mind of movie-goers, much more interested in seeing explosions and fantasy than just plain good acting.

The role of Clooney's daughter was also very well-played by Shailene Woodley, someone I hope will do more good work in the future.  Her portrayal of an angst-ridden teen pissed off at her Mom and wanting little to do with her Dad will really hit home for anyone who has or had a teenage daughter.

Hey? Really? Not in the list I just googled. I am sure you will explain, I am not aware of any nomination in 2012 for Django in any category. (It wasn't even released when the 2012 list was a

Here is the list of this year's Nominations by the Academy for Best Picture...

BEST PICTURE

"Zero Dark Thirty"

"Silver Linings Playbook"

"Lincoln"

"Les Miserables"

"Life of Pi"

"Amour"

"Django Unchained"

"Argo"

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Not yet,  but I want to take my son to see Zero Dark Thirty, which looks excellent.

Some people are upset that Ben Affleck didn't get a Best Director nod for Argo.....it's up for best picture but they say that if the director isn't nominated also, it has a shot in hell of winning.  Too bad, that was a great movie and just one more step in the right direction for Affleck, who became famous with the amazing 'Good Will Hunting" then did some absolute stink bombs [Gigli, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Daredevil, et al ....].  With 'Gone Baby Gone", ' The Town' 'The Company Men' and now Argo he is finally getting his due as a great director and a good actor. Smart and well-read also, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the move into politics some day, despite recently declaring zero interest in the vacant John Kerry senate seat.

Django was never going to get a nomination, whether it deserved one or not. It had too many things going against it. Too violent for a start after what happened in Connecticut. Other nominees have violence but a line had to be drawn. And if it can be agreed that the violence is all in the name of art, the prolific use of the 'N' word made sure it was not going to be get a nod. The moment I read the complaints from African-American spokespeople, I knew then it was going to be too much of a hot potato for the Academy. They get criticised for things beyond their control, they don't need to shoot themselves in the foot.

On the face of it, Lincoln would seem to have a lock on Best Picture. But all the reviews I have read & seen, (all four of them), suggest the film is an hour too long & gets badly bogged down trying to make its point. Spielberg can be very self indulgent as witnessed by some rather long movies he has made. I wonder if patriotism on the part of the Academy voters will override their subjective taste? Or will they acknowledge something more worthy? 

A movie like Life Of Pi. I saw it & found it unlike anything I have ever seen before & think it deserves all the credit it gets. Not for everyone but Ang Lee is a creative genius. IMO.

I suspect that Daniel Day-Lewis will get his third award for Lincoln but would not be surprised if Joaquin Phoenix wins for his role in The Master. He's that good. (Has he been sick? He looks positively frail in the film, there's nothing of him)

And the other outsider I would love to get up is the nine year old girl in Beasts of the Southern Wild, Quvenzhané Wallis. I was amazed by her screen presence & maturity in the film. A great film with one of those performances you see once in a decade. IMO. She's set for a huge future. And she would be a worthy winner.

If we are starting an Oscar thread, would someone please move this post over to it. Thanks.

Django did get a best picture nomination. Waltz got a better supporting actor nomination. There was one for best original screenplay too, as I recall. Maybe others.

Some people are upset that Ben Affleck didn't get a Best Director nod for Argo.....it's up for best picture but they say that if the director isn't nominated also, it has a shot in hell of winning.  Too bad, that was a great movie and just one more step in the right direction for Affleck, who became famous with the amazing 'Good Will Hunting" then did some absolute stink bombs [Gigli, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Daredevil, et al ....].  With 'Gone Baby Gone", ' The Town' 'The Company Men' and now Argo he is finally getting his due as a great director and a good actor. Smart and well-read also, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the move into politics some day, despite recently declaring zero interest in the vacant John Kerry senate seat.

I agree about Ben. Love everything he does, just about. I even liked Pearl Harbor! The Town was just too simply incredible for words, especially the uncut version. Best thing you ever recommended to me.

I loved The Descendents,. have seen it 3 times now and recommended it to my friends.

Would hardly say it was "obscure" as it received a general 4-star rating from just about anyone who reviewed it, but for sure matched up to movies which the general public seem to eat up like candy  these days {IE, Iron Man, Batman, SuperMan....anything with "Man" ending in the title} it was relatively unknown when it came out in 2011.  I still have no idea how anything with George Clooney in it can not be automatically popular; he is one of the finest actors of this era. Also liked him in The American from 2010, another of his which was highly regarded but made just a small ripple in the mind of movie-goers, much more interested in seeing explosions and fantasy than just plain good acting.

The role of Clooney's daughter was also very well-played by Shailene Woodley, someone I hope will do more good work in the future.  Her portrayal of an angst-ridden teen pissed off at her Mom and wanting little to do with her Dad will really hit home for anyone who has or had a teenage daughter.

My favorite Clooney movies are the ones he did directed by The Coen Bros.

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, Intolerable Cruelty, and Burn After Reading. The Coens use him in roles where at first he comes across like he's really cool, and confident, has his shit together, then at the end he turns out to be a bumbling doofus. He does those roles so well.

Here is the list of this year's Nominations by the Academy for Best Picture...

BEST PICTURE

"Zero Dark Thirty"

"Silver Linings Playbook"

"Lincoln"

"Les Miserables"

"Life of Pi"

"Amour"

"Django Unchained"

"Argo"

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Ohhh.....        :mad0261:

I get it now - that's the list for 2013, not 2012. 

I still should have noticed Django is on the current list. Dunno how I missed it...        :blink: