Three somewhat obscure movies, everyone should see

Lefty

On 7/15/2012 at 4:16 PM, Luung said:

Fuckin' Tarantino wants to grow up & stop glamourising piss pots & wankers too!

Tarantino made a good remake of inglorious bastards but i say the best version is original made in 1974 with Bo Stevenson and Fred Williamson who went on to work with Tarantino in From Dusk till Dawn

• Like 2

The second film I love is in Bruges , Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleason are amazing and back at it in the Banchees of Inishmore (jeezus can't wait to see how well it will do at those Oscars) 

Third film is Goodbye Lenin, amazing film about family in East Berlin when wall came down, and how Western ideals came flooding in quickly.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2023 at 3:18 PM, seanbeag7 said:

The second film I love is in Bruges , Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleason are amazing and back at it in the Banchees of Inishmore (jeezus can't wait to see how well it will do at those Oscars) 

Third film is Goodbye Lenin, amazing film about family in East Berlin when wall came down, and how Western ideals came flooding in quickly.

I watched the Bruges film....watched all of it, it had its moments, but a movie I would pass along, but pretty original, so I give it that.  I saw the other movie, Banchees, and wondered if it was a spin off.  I guess it is.  So, since  decent movies are hard to come by on amazon and netflix, i will watch it.

I swear those pay for, like netflix, amazon, etc.......I spend more time trying to find something that i can stomach, then i do watching the movie.......

• Like 2

what i find interesting is the logic of film like in shawshank redemption Andy is put Alone beside a foundation wall ( yes its a film ) and apart from the physical and mental torment of digging every night and also releasing dirt next day he has the energy to start a library and do tax returns and the usual prison duties , the stress of doing that for years would age a man as it could be taken away at any moment with a shakedown of his cell , yet he shows no regard for it and in fact does everything he can to sabotage it like playing opera and pissing off the guards to land in solitary for months but they keep his cell in perfect condition for his return to carry on and throw in morgan freemans wise Magical black man trope with no family connections or personal backstory but only there to show the white pratagonist how to exist in this place , also they have to have a bird guy its mandatory , fun thing is the support actors have made more in residuals then they did by salary , its always playing on tv :)

yes i made " The Ladyboy Redemption " for my subscribestar with a blonde Bangkok ladyboy standing in for Rita Hayworth just saying :)

• Like 4
9 hours ago, seanbeag7 said:

I  won't pay for Netflix or any other of those open choice platform's, as they control what you eventually watch, so I go to charity shops and old film shops and you can old amazing films on DVD and blue-ray.

I agree with you.  I don't pay for them either....

• Like 2
23 hours ago, seanbeag7 said:

I notice that small production companies will not pay to change films to blue-ray and 4k instead of DVDs which is a shame as DVDs are now becoming obsulate as DVD can scratch easy compared to blue-ray disc

Hey Shaun

Plenty of YT vids on how to remove scratches off DVD's. Apparently colgate toothpaste works.

Check it out. 

You can always burn the film and put it on USB stick or if your a movie buff, a good selection on an SSD drive.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 1/24/2023 at 9:33 AM, seanbeag7 said:

Tarantino made a good remake of inglorious bastards but i say the best version is original made in 1974 with Bo Stevenson and Fred Williamson who went on to work with Tarantino in From Dusk till Dawn

QT's Inglourious Basterds was not a remake of The Inglorious Bastards, 1974, with Bo Svenson and Fred  Williamson. The latter was more like a remake of The Dirty Dozen. 

Song for a Raggy Boy is an 2003 Irish historical drama film directed by Aisling Walsh. It is based on the book of the same name by Patrick Galvin and is based on true events.

This excellent but disturbing story of young boys in a Reformatory school in 1930s Ireland. Iain Glen plays Brother John, the sadistic prefect who rules by fear and intimidation, eventually crossing swords with the new teacher played by Aidan Quinn. The whole cast are superb, with some great performances by many of the boys. The film is thought provoking and moving in the extreme and one of the best films I have seen for a long time.

WARNING: If you are sensitive, WATCH IT ANYWAY. It's that important.

• Like 1
On 7/18/2012 at 3:36 AM, azza33 said:

Now back to obscure after reviewing my movie collection...

Sin City is a good flick -probably not to everyone's taste

The Chronicles of Riddick is an excellent sequel to Pitch Black and a very enjoyable watch.

4 Layer Cake is a good english gangster flick.

Lucky number slevin (the wrong man) - gold! love watching this one again & again.

It's fun for me to scroll back through the comments from 10 or so years ago, and thinking to myself, "I wrote that?".   LOL.

I apparently didn't respond to your Lucky Number Slevin mention, but I did see it once when it was fairly recent, and really liked it a lot. 

The title made me think of a more recent movie from 2017 that I really enjoyed and highly recommend, Logan Lucky.  I guess I'd describe it as a comedy and a heist caper combination. Channing Tatum and Adam Driver as brothers are the main characters. Daniel Craig is very good in a comedic role, which is sort of going against type for him, but he pulled it off.  The Logan brothers need explosives expert Joe Bang (Craig) to pull off their heist.  But he is incarcerated. So they hatch up a crazy scheme to sneak him out, pull off the heist, and sneak him back in. Anyway, I found the whole thing very entertaining and the time flew by as I watched.

• Like 1

Best Picture

“All Quiet on the Western Front,” Malte Grunert, Producer

“Avatar: The Way of Water,” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

“The Banshees of Inisherin,” Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers

“Elvis,” Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Gail Berman, Patrick McCormick and Schuyler Weiss, Producers

“Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers

“The Fabelmans,” Kristie Macosko Krieger, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner, Producers

“Tár,” Todd Field, Alexandra Milchan and Scott Lambert, Producers

“Top Gun: Maverick,” Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, Producers

“Triangle of Sadness,” Erik Hemmendorff and Philippe Bober, Producers

“Women Talking,” Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Frances McDormand, Producers

I saw two of the films nominated for the best picture Oscar which is more than usual.  Of the two I saw, I liked Top Gun Maverick better than Avatar The Way Of The Water.

On 3/11/2023 at 8:47 AM, Pdoggg said:

I saw two of the films nominated for the best picture Oscar which is more than usual.  Of the two I saw, I liked Top Gun Maverick better than Avatar The Way Of The Water.

I'd love to see The Banshees of Inisherin win an Oscar. Every movie Martin McDonagh has done has been outstanding. 

Bad Times at the El Royale is a really good movie if you like Tarantino, Coen Bros, etc, but much different than anything they have done. Well worth watching once, twice, or three times.

Synopsis: 

In the year 1959, a man named Felix (Nick Offerman) enters a hotel room and unrolls the carpet. He opens up the floorboards and stashes a bag full of money in there, and then puts everything back together like it was untouched. A while later, Felix is visited by a man. He invites the man into his room, only for him to shoot Felix in the back, killing him.

Ten years later.

Several individuals are arriving at the El Royale hotel in California. Father Daniel Flynn (Jeff Bridges) meets lounge singer Darlene Sweet (Cynthia Erivo), who is heading to perform in Reno. They meet vacuum salesman Laramie Seymour Sullivan (Jon Hamm), who is trying to fix himself a drink. He makes a few patronizing comments toward Darlene in regards to her race, though he claims to be joking. Moments later, the hotel's sole employee, Miles Miller (Lewis Pullman), emerges from the maintenance closet to tend to the patrons. A car then speeds up to the front, and in enters Emily Summerspring (Dakota Johnson), dressed like a hippie. The four sign their names (although Emily signs "fuck you") on the itinerary and then head to their rooms.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2023 at 12:33 PM, seanbeag7 said:

How could Fred Williamson (an ex pro football player) be one of the glorious bastards.  They were all jews!!, with exception of the german officer they picked up along the way?  Do I have the wrong Fred W?

On 2/7/2023 at 1:26 PM, seanbeag7 said:

I prefer blu ray discs as there is a special non-sctatch coating on the disc, and I have tried toothpaste and numerous cleaners to clean and repair damaged DVD discs, sometimes to disappointing satisfaction

Careful, colgate will take the enamel off the disk...just saying!

• Upvote 1
On 3/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, Lefty said:

It's fun for me to scroll back through the comments from 10 or so years ago, and thinking to myself, "I wrote that?".   LOL.

I apparently didn't respond to your Lucky Number Slevin mention, but I did see it once when it was fairly recent, and really liked it a lot. 

The title made me think of a more recent movie from 2017 that I really enjoyed and highly recommend, Logan Lucky.  I guess I'd describe it as a comedy and a heist caper combination. Channing Tatum and Adam Driver as brothers are the main characters. Daniel Craig is very good in a comedic role, which is sort of going against type for him, but he pulled it off.  The Logan brothers need explosives expert Joe Bang (Craig) to pull off their heist.  But he is incarcerated. So they hatch up a crazy scheme to sneak him out, pull off the heist, and sneak him back in. Anyway, I found the whole thing very entertaining and the time flew by as I watched.

Daniel Craig...is an excellent actor.......and I can see him doing comedy.....I have always taken him a bit of smart arse, in a good way.  I think he was the best Bond's ever, but have to keep in mind all the new technologies for movie making, plays a part in that.  I say this, with exception of the last Bond movie made......what a joke....it was like ok we have a contract so we need to make another Bond movie, so let's just get it over and quickly....

• Like 2
On 3/14/2023 at 5:03 PM, Lefty said:

I'd love to see The Banshees of Inisherin win an Oscar. Every movie Martin McDonagh has done has been outstanding. 

I did watch it, and yes had some good acting, and could keep your attention, but I think expectations outweigh the results.  I for one would not feel compelled to watch again... 

• Like 1
On 3/19/2023 at 4:00 PM, Lefty said:

Bad Times at the El Royale is a really good movie if you like Tarantino, Coen Bros, etc, but much different than anything they have done. Well worth watching once, twice, or three times.

Synopsis: 

In the year 1959, a man named Felix (Nick Offerman) enters a hotel room and unrolls the carpet. He opens up the floorboards and stashes a bag full of money in there, and then puts everything back together like it was untouched. A while later, Felix is visited by a man. He invites the man into his room, only for him to shoot Felix in the back, killing him.

Ten years later.

Several individuals are arriving at the El Royale hotel in California. Father Daniel Flynn (Jeff Bridges) meets lounge singer Darlene Sweet (Cynthia Erivo), who is heading to perform in Reno. They meet vacuum salesman Laramie Seymour Sullivan (Jon Hamm), who is trying to fix himself a drink. He makes a few patronizing comments toward Darlene in regards to her race, though he claims to be joking. Moments later, the hotel's sole employee, Miles Miller (Lewis Pullman), emerges from the maintenance closet to tend to the patrons. A car then speeds up to the front, and in enters Emily Summerspring (Dakota Johnson), dressed like a hippie. The four sign their names (although Emily signs "fuck you") on the itinerary and then head to their rooms.

Coen bro's i like, the other 50/50.  I saw that movie..........it was cool.

• Like 1

I watched a rather strange movie on tv yesterday. Flicked over to World Movies and there was this unusual one called Asterix at an Olympic Games. Strange title and a strange script. Thats not the only thing about it.

There was a scene where they were having chariot races as in Ben Hur. But in this case a bit different. I watched for a minute or so and thought, I know that driver. It had to be Michael Schumacher!. That slightly bent smile etc. That wasn't the end of it. Who should be in the official box but Jean Todt!. Past boss of the Ferrari team and then boss of F1.

To top it off, Schumacher's chariot was painted Ferrari red.

As an addendum. Just checked out wikipedia and I was not dreaming, it was those two guys.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Woodie said:

That wasn't the end of it. Who should be in the official box but Jean Todt!. Past boss of the Ferrari team and then boss of F1.

An interesting thing about Todt that I didn't know until recently, he is the long-time partner of Michelle Yeoh who just won the Oscar for "Everything Everywhere all at Once."

1537373792_166531todtsmall.jpg.a377adc5f2ecc7f5ac5344d8a5ada0a1.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Woodie said:

I watched a rather strange movie on tv yesterday. Flicked over to World Movies and there was this unusual one called Asterix at an Olympic Games. Strange title and a strange script. Thats not the only thing about it.

There was a scene where they were having chariot races as in Ben Hur. But in this case a bit different. I watched for a minute or so and thought, I know that driver. It had to be Michael Schumacher!. That slightly bent smile etc. That wasn't the end of it. Who should be in the official box but Jean Todt!. Past boss of the Ferrari team and then boss of F1.

To top it off, Schumacher's chariot was painted Ferrari red.

As an addendum. Just checked out wikipedia and I was not dreaming, it was those two guys.

I was going to say, at what point did you awake!!!.......anyhow, nice catch.  You didnt comment if you liked it or not?