Ramblings & Replies

I am 52, my goal is to walk away in December of 2014. That will give me 2.5 years more of a good salary and 3 more good year end bonuses. I have already started training my replacement and he will do better than me. I dont want to be one of those guys working till they are 70.

Personally I'm highly suspicious of this ...Maybe Turkey are being lined up as another "tonkin incident"....so the USA can flex their muscles by proxy against Syria,yet another domino falling for their forthcoming war with Iran.

too political?

Thats a fair point Willie, it has been rumoured to have been done many times before, USS Maine etc.

However as Syria has one of the largest chemical arsenals in the region, Israel and the west have been quite content with the status quo - albeit officically taking an anti- Assad position for years

It really pisses me off that I can't buy a fookin' beer around here until 5PM. Everybody knows that Beer O'Clock is 4-sharp.

You can buy booze from 11AM to 2PM, if you're a planner with mind headed southward already, and, you can actually buy alcohol between 2PM and 5PM... if it's more than ten litres! So, if you really wanna get shitfaced, you have our blessing, but if you want a casual cold brew at four o'clock on a Sunday afternoon, well then fuck off!

Wanna pick-up a nightcap for the room? Oh, it's after midnight? Fuck off!

TIT. Bangkok. Thankfully, they seem to ignore this in Pattaya...

I don't think the GOTC can be moved to November Ken. Two of the organizers have birthdays during the late Jan/early Feb period and their tickets have already been purchased, hotels booked, et cetera. However nothing stops the clan from organizing an ad hoc shin-dig gathering and having a whooping good time in November. I might even try to get there.

If there's a gathering during November then please don't plan it at the very beginnning of November as I would not make it.

The River Water Festival (Bon Om Touk) takes place in Phnom Penh for 3 days from October 30th to November 1st and I am not missing that. Transportation will likely be bogged down for a few days either side too. It celebrates a major natural event where the flow of the Tonle Sap reverses allowing the water to return to the Mekong following the end of the rainy season.

The city will be jam-packed with Khmers as they descend from all provinces and hotel rooms will probably be hard to come by more than usual. It was cancelled last year following the loss of many lives during the stampede of 2010 on one of the bridges leading to Diamond Island.

The King will be in attendance and the spectacle of Naga boat races and events will be unmissable.

With so many guys coming and going during November, I reckon a few big meet ups in the Pattaya Beer Garden will kick of an evening followed by an mass invasion of some unsuspecting LB establishment. We did a few of these last November and February. It allows guys to chat in relative comfort and for members to put faces to avatars without being pestered by LBs, that of course comes later. :biggrin:

If I watch it then I'll have to do it online, I hope I can find a decent feed.

I took my Toshiba 36" CRT TV to the local rubbish tip last week with the help of a buddy as part of clearing my house out for rental, it takes two grown men to carry that bloody great thing.

It really pisses me off that I can't buy a fookin' beer around here until 5PM. Everybody knows that Beer O'Clock is 4-sharp.

You can buy booze from 11AM to 2PM, if you're a planner with mind headed southward already, and, you can actually buy alcohol between 2PM and 5PM... if it's more than ten litres! So, if you really wanna get shitfaced, you have our blessing, but if you want a casual cold brew at four o'clock on a Sunday afternoon, well then fuck off!

Wanna pick-up a nightcap for the room? Oh, it's after midnight? Fuck off!

TIT. Bangkok. Thankfully, they seem to ignore this in Pattaya...

Foodland and Family Mart are your best bets. Foodland deffo used to sell 24 hrs a day except Buddist hol's and most Family Marts will also sell anytime of the day. Infact i do remember one drunken night buying some wine at 4am as a policeman in uniform was buying some whiskey at Foodland in Patpong.

So Engerrland go out on the dreaded penalties yet again, but the bottom line is justice was done. That was the biggest 0-0 drubbing in the history of the game. Totally outclassed in all areas, and that has been the story for the last number of major tournaments when it comes to the big games for England.

Personally, I believe that while the English Premier league continues to pay ridiculous amounts of money to what are often less than average foreign players, nothing will change. There seems to be no chance for young English (or the rest of the UK and Ireland) talent to be natured and nurtured into top players at the bigger teams.The owners are too focused on paying £millions to buy someone & £millions more on their wage, because it seems a better option. Until such a time as the money goes south in this league (and with the new Sky deal that is not happenng soon) our home nations are never going to have the ability to bring through the talent to match the Spanish,Germans and Italians of this world.

• Upvote 1

Aint that the truth Brother Ciobha......Germany for instance has a far greater percentage of the Bundeslaiga being German Nationals.In England ,Arsenal for instance have fielded teams without a single English player! How are young home grown talent meant to learn their trade? Young German players get to learn theirs in the Bundesliga,young English players usually dont even make it into the Prem League,usually only the 2nd division.

By the way....Italy was comprised of players who play exclusively in serie A.....Spain,with the exception of Torres,their players all play in La Liga..Isn't there a lesson there for the English FA?They need to curtail the foreign players in the country,to give their own home grown players a chance to shine.

Its a no-brainer!

With so many guys coming and going during November, I reckon a few big meet ups in the Pattaya Beer Garden will kick of an evening followed by an mass invasion of some unsuspecting LB establishment.

As scoffable as this sounds, I have yet to set foot in the PBG, so I am looking forward to that.

I'll have to get a leave pass from Wan Cafe, abandon the caraffes for one sunset and make it over there.

The most frightening thing I've experienced lately is noticing how much more I enjoy my career here now that I've decided I don't really need it any longer. Odd. Partly down to my age and experience - at 51 years old and 25 years experience I no longer feel the need to "prove" myself, and now the success just keeps piling on (as does some very fine renumeration as well). Just when I'm getting ready to pack it all in, it suddenly starts becoming sorta fun....

Well, I guess I should have expected that.

Unless your career is now more fun than los (surely not!), maybe you should consider taking some unpaid leave and spending longer in Pattaya than 2 weeks a year. A longer trip means you don't have to cram in all your liasons into a short period and can be more relaxed. I can't understand how you US guys can make that long trip for such short stays. A 12-15 hour trip from UK is bad enough, I don't think I could do the length of flights you guys do.

• Upvote 1

Just keep in mind brother Ciobha, it is officially the wet season in Los at that time of year, albeit warmer rain. :character00292:

That's bullshit BB. It may be officially "wet season" but I've been to Patts during July/August nine times and the rain has been minimal. in fact most of those trips it has hardly rained at all, maybe just a few 30 minute downpours.

Cheers DK

P.S. Sorry about the bullshit comment. :biggrin:

That's bullshit BB. It may be officially "wet season" but I've been to Patts during July/August nine times and the rain has been minimal. in fact most of those trips it has hardly rained at all, maybe just a few 30 minute downpours.

Cheers DK

P.S. Sorry about the bullshit comment. :biggrin:

:character00292: Good point Brucie, it seems to rain a lot in October from my experience. Not been in Los in July/August for a long time now.

As scoffable as this sounds, I have yet to set foot in the PBG, so I am looking forward to that.

I'll have to get a leave pass from Wan Cafe, abandon the caraffes for one sunset and make it over there.

I reckon you'd enjoy the place Ken. They do wine there also, I'd imagine it's ok as the drinks in general are pretty reasonable and it's Aussie owned. It really is a great location for a big meet up, just join a couple of tables together and 20 odd, some odder than others, guys can shoot the breeze in relative comfort.

Unless your career is now more fun than los (surely not!), maybe you should consider taking some unpaid leave and spending longer in Pattaya than 2 weeks a year. A longer trip means you don't have to cram in all your liasons into a short period and can be more relaxed. I can't understand how you US guys can make that long trip for such short stays. A 12-15 hour trip from UK is bad enough, I don't think I could do the length of flights you guys do.

I fully agree with you Quietguy regarding the longer trips being more relaxing. For anyone who can manage one it's highly recommended. The one time I did a 2 weeker last year, I really enjoyed it of course but felt under a lot more pressure to pack in as much as I could in the short window of opportunity available.

Those long flights from the US sound like a killer, fair fooks to you guys for enduring them for your 2 weeks in funland. :hi: