Ramblings & Replies

I just watched this video on Youtube and found it an interesting take on the subject of sexuality.

She makes reference to the Kinsey scale which as you are probably aware suggests that sexuality is not a binary choice. The part I found most interesting is that she goes on to discuss a similar scale for gender, which is something I'd never thought about much before but makes sense.

Good stuff. I liked the no BS personal angle. I found the first half of her video post a bit boring but from about mid way it becomes very interesting.

Interesting video of excerpts of a lecture on why straight guys are attracted to transsexuals.  Worth a listen perhaps without rolling your eyes to heaven and thinking here we go on another boring " Am I gay?" thread. :winking0023:

http://youtu.be/0v79_9x7JlQ

Very interesting indeed, despite her sleazy appearance she manages to break down the subject and explains all the parts and is very convincing. As a sidenote I wonder how many of the students that then go home and objectify HER? 

I watched a new movie Samsara this week. It's another documentary of the weird & wonderful sights of the world from the guys who made Baraka 20+ years ago. There is not a single word of narration during the entire film, nor one word spoken by those who feature in it. But it boasts the most fantastic sound track with various elements from neoclassical to Gregorian chants to Tibetan throat singing at one point. It is so well done the time passed too quickly & before I knew it, it was over. I would have liked another few hours of it, it was quite meditative in its presentation. 

Thanks for mentioning this film, I was completely unaware of it and after reading you post I watched it last night. It's a stunning and beautiful film and I was unable to take my eyes off the screen all the way through.

I saw a similar film a few years ago (Kooyanisqatsi) and after watching Samsara last night I downloaded this again and other films I could find in this genre. So, if anyone is wanting more of the same after watching Samsara then try these out.

Directed by Ron Fricke who also did Samsara

Baraka 

Directed by Godfrey Reggio ...

Kooyanisqatsi

Naqoyqatsi

Powaqqatsi

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed it Xray. It's one movie I should get the DVD for, I found it so peaceful to watch.

I don't know Godfrey Reggio but I have heard of his films. At least one or two of them, I didn't know there were three in the series. One of them was playing at a local cinema a few years back but I didn't know anything about it & I didn't bother to find out. My loss.

I am happy that someone else likes something different. I so often think I am talking to myself when I mention something weird. As for non-mainstream films, I do hope that Searching For Sugarman takes out the Oscar for best documentary later this month. If ever there's a story worthy of attention, it is the 40 year wait for the fame & fortune that Rodriguez deserves. Downloads of Cold Fact have gone through the roof so it appears that he is finally going to receive the money denied to him so long.

If anyone is looking for a nice story to go see at the cinema that also happens to be true, I recommend Sugarman without hesitation.

This gave me a chuckle when I stumbled upon them.  Reminds me of a guy I know who does tattoos in my home town. 

In the early days when he started off one of my friends asked him how he learned Chinese to do those tatts.  His reply was "I use a menu from the local take away."  Not sure if he was joking....

post-106-0-84651600-1360639976_thumb.png

post-106-0-13620000-1360640002_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Any French speakers here?

How do you say "no French allowed" in French? Its showing up as "Pas de permis Francais" on google translate. How accurate is that?

Oh la vache!

Not a native speaker, but used to be fluent, once upon a time (pretty rusty these days, admittedly). But that's close enough it seems to get the original meaning across. But it's not clear from the original English whether you mean spoken French, as in the language, or actual French people ...

Still not quite clear on your meaning. It's meant to keep French people out, or explain something to them? In any event, I would keep it simple:

Pas peuple Francais = No French people. As in no French people are allowed (in here, to go inside, apply for the job, etc.). That's should be clear enough, n'est pas?

If it's that you don't want the French people to speak French, then

Ne parlez pas Francaise. Don't speak French.

So I gotta ask ... what's the issue with the Froggies?

• Upvote 1

So I gotta ask ... what's the issue with the Froggies?

Its nothing bad. I just have a server rented out for an online game, and want to keep out French players because they have freakishly fast internet connections in France and which gives them a massive advantage over UK and Ireland players, plus the server is hosted in France so their ping is very very good.

• 2 weeks later...