Ramblings & Replies

I reckon it's actually upside-down 87.

Which would read right-side-up as upside-down 87, or upside-down 7 followed by an 8.

Which is 78?

For upside down numbers go left to right as 91, 90, 89, 88, space, 86.

So the number for the space has to be upside down to fit the sequence.

It can't be normal 87. Upside-down 87.

I did a little housecleaning and moved a few posts from here in the Boiler Room to Boiler Room Politics and Religion. 

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5948-political-rambles-and-replies/

There are a number of threads that could be started in various sub-forums.  But in general, topics about Politics, Christianity, Islam, Immigration, Guns, Global Warming, anything to do with Fox News are better suited for the Politics and Religion sub forums.  Things that relate to transgender rights would be a core issue central to LBR and not :offtopic:

Same sex marriage is closely related to transgeneder rights so I reckon more of a core subject for LBR.   Threads will meander like a chat in a bar so some topics and posts will end up in places you might not expect them to be, no big deal really.

The idea is to give every member the online experience they want.  So if if one doesn't want to read about Politics on LBR they can opt out of that sub forum when using the View New Content method but still have access if they click on the sub forum itself.

Bottom line is that we want everyone to be happy.  So I think the separation of Politics and Religion from other Off Topic stuff makes LBR a slightly better place to navigate.

Here is a story reported by CNN, about a greedy unethical cancer doctor in Michigan who knowingly harmed his patients in order to gain more $$$. This guy will likely be in for the rest of his life - but that is too easy a sentence as he will be serving in a low security prison

CNN) A Detroit-area doctor who authorities say gave cancer treatment drugs to patients who did not need them -- including some who didn't actually have cancer -- was sentenced Friday to 45 years in prison.

Dr. Farid Fata, 50, pleaded guilty in September to giving chemotherapy to misdiagnosed cancer patients, telling some they had a terminal blood cancer called multiple myeloma. He pleaded guilty to 13 counts of Medicare fraud, one count of conspiracy to pay or receive kickbacks and two counts of money laundering.

Federal prosecutors called him the "most egregious fraudster in the history of this country." To Fata, they said, "patients were not people. They were profit centers."

Fata forfeited $17.6 million that he collected from Medicare and private insurance companies. Some 553 patients received medically unnecessary infusions or injections, prosecutors said.

The oncologist gave an emotional apology in court, saying he was "ashamed" of his actions.

"I have violated the Hippocratic oath and violated the trust of my patients," Fata said, according to CNN affiliate WDIV. "I do not know how I can heal the wound. I do not know how to express the sorrow and the shame."

But to the dozens of Fata's victims who filed into U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan throughout the week to watch his sentencing, his apology doesn't matter. Many will live with the effects of his, at times, unnecessary treatments, for the rest of their lives.

As Geraldine Parkin, the wife of one former patient said in court, many were "tortured until their last breaths."

Treated, but not sick

Robert Sobieray went to Fata and was given chemotherapy treatment for two and a half years. But he never had cancer.

"It just gets to me," Sobieray said. "What was the motivation? Why, why me? I don't know what did I ever do to him."

The chemotherapy treatments were painful, and made him physically sick. They were so strong that his teeth fell out and his jaw started to change shape. Years after finding out he didn't have cancer, he has lost all but one of his teeth.

"With all the bills piling up, I can't afford to get new teeth," Sobieray said. "(I) would like to eat a good meal again someday. Like salad, used to love eating salad. I can't eat that anymore. A lot of things I love I can't eat anymore."

Patty Hester went to Fata in 2010 after being recommended by another doctor. Her white blood cell counts were low, and Fata was a renowned hematologist and oncologist.

"He was, according to the web page, and according to the fliers, he's world-renowned," Hester said. "When you went in his office, he was top doc."

Hester, who worked in an emergency room at the time, was devastated when Fata told her she had myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).

"He said, 'You need to start on chemo, like, immediately,'" Hester recalled.

She was in disbelief. And after debating with Fata, he instead put her on iron treatments and, eventually, blood plasma treatments. She was still taking those pricey plasma treatments the day co-workers made her come to the TV and see the news: her doctor had been arrested.

Hester did not have cancer.

'Took full advantage of my trust '

Some of Fata's patients did have various forms of cancer.

Chris Sneary faced Fata for the first time since his former doctor's arrest on Tuesday as he read his victim impact statement in court. He turned to glance at Fata, took a deep breath and read his story.

Sneary came to Fata to be treated for testicular cancer from 2010 to 2013. He had 40 days of chemotherapy, 14 days of hydration therapy and dozens of other treatments and procedures.

"I gave full and total trust to this man to get me and my family through this journey I was about to begin," Sneary said.

Sneary discovered after Fata's arrest that he'd been given "gross overtreatment" -- more expensive and harsh chemotherapy than was necessary and, worse, he had a testicle removed that was medically unnecessary.

"Dr. Fata took full advantage of my trust in him, my fear of dying and, most of all, my top of the line health insurance," Sneary said, at times fighting back tears in court.

And one patient who did have cancer spoke out in court posthumously. Donald Crabtree's wife, Marietta, read a statement he wrote back in December last year.

"None of the tumors were helped -- they increased in number, they increased in size," Crabtree read in court. "I believe Dr. Fata knowingly and purposely treated me for the wrong cancer and gave me the wrong chemotherapy."

Crabtree said it was his dying wish for Fata to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Fata apologizes to patients

Before being sentenced, Fata turned to face those who were at his sentencing and apologized.

"The quest for power is self-destructive," he said, according to WDIV. "They came to me seeking compassion and care. I failed. Yes, I failed."

Now some of his former patients have a chance to file claims and possibly be awarded some of the funds that he collected from Medicare and insurance companies.

Fata is expected to serve at least 34 years of his sentence, possibly at a low-security prison in Michigan.

Now Somchai even has a more expensive phone than I have.

A recent survey on Internet "newcomers" in Thailand, commissioned by GroupM Thailand, produced interesting results. Many of those surveyed are using cheap mobile phones to access news and other information online - without ever having used the Web before. Many still aren't sure what the Internet is. They have never used a computer, a laptop or a tablet. Now they're reading the news on mobile phones simply because they've learned it's possible.

These "Net newbies" are growing in number in the less-developed areas of the country and are having a big influence on where wi-fi is made available. Just as urban coffee shops once did, more and more food shops and grooming salons upcountry are installing routers to service customers who are anything but teenagers in trendy clothes. The customers arrive with mobile phones costing between Bt1,000 and Bt2,000 and want to plug into the news or find ways to promote their own businesses through Facebook or the Line application.

The survey's key findings are intriguing. Many respondents said they'd "lost their Internet virginity" via smartphones, meaning that, before they bought the gadgets, they'd never surfed the World Wide Web. They'd never communicated by email. And, although they'd heard of Facebook, they didn't understand what it had to do with the Internet.

They did not know what made Facebook or Line possible.

The newbies don't own smartphones to show off. They buy only what serves their needs. Brand names don't influence them. Anything that's cheap and enables them to talk to friends, read the news or watch videos is fine. Second-hand phones are popular. In a way, they are the real "smart users" of smartphones, because they don't pay for extras or add-ons that are of no use to them.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Spread-of-the-Internet-into-rural-areas-is-a-GAME--30264260.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LaBambaBar

Not what I thought it would be when I saw the headline...

My imagined version is soooooooooooo much better.

Gabon corruption

It would be so much better for all concerned if the real deal was President of Gabon:

post-6837-0-89126500-1437635843_thumb.jp

Guest LaBambaBar

Yet another dumbass 'hunter':

GIRAFFES ARE DANGEROUS

True, true - it still pains me to recall the time my Uncle Bert was hunted and eaten by a pack of ravenous giraffes...

Maybe these numbskulls should be made to hunt the way the indigenous people hunted - armed only with a spear.  I'd love to see that jackass dentist, armed with nought but a pointy stick, go up against a pride of lions.