Two Roads Diverged

bumblebee

On 5/29/2012 at 3:00 AM, Jimslim said:

Anyone ever wish they'd never discovered the place ?

What you don't know you've never missed and all that .

Not wanting to go off on a tangent on The Affliction thread, this comment from Jimslim struck a chord. What if you had not discovered Los and more importantly ladyboys, where would you be today?

Well I guess some guys love the country and would return no matter, but without the ladyboys, where would we go and how would life be different if we had not explored this sexual awakening for many of us.

Discovering Los for me in early 2002 was a turning point in not just my choice of holiday destination, but a big part of my life. In 2001 I was living in Barcelona, I was, and still am interested in Latin culture. My time in Spain at this period of my life was part of a bigger plan to get acquainted all things Spanish and then explore Latin America for a few years. The idea was to stay there, travel and work and eventually move back to Spain and settle down there.

I went home at Xmas '01 for 2 week to see the family. The job was not going too well in Bcn, along with a particularly cold winter there, which did not fit in with me dream of beaches in December/ January that had motivated me to move their among other things.

My brother said himself and a friend were heading to Thailand in early February and did I fancy coming. I thought hell why not, I can always move back to Spain or Latin America in September '02. I knew there would be ladyboys there, and I could finally get my hands on the Asian version of the Latina transsexuals I used to check out on Barcelona's beach.

After 1 more 2 month trip in late '03, finally in September '04 I made the move back to Spain, this time to Valencia. I was job hunting but could not get the images of what I had experienced in Los out of my head. I knew the transsexuals in Spain, the addiction had set in, would not satisfy my Yellow fever. One day while having a break from job hunting, I sat on the beach and looked East. I said to myself, you have got to get yourself back over there for a longer period and sort this thing out in your head.

A week later I gave up job hunting and headed home, and 3 weeks later I was sitting on Hua Hin beach with a big smile. I have not been back to Spain since and never made it to Latin America. What should have been a once off voyage of curiosity became a full on addiction that found me living in Bangkok for 2 years and meeting most of you great guys in later visits.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."

-Robert Frost via JaiDee

So how has discovering Los, including the LBs, impacted on you life?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Shit, mang, I shiver at the thought. As I have now fully given myself over to this place, it's pretty certain my life would be drastically different right now. As long as this lifestyle, and LBs, exist, I think I would have found it. But if they didn't...

Growing up in the eastern U.S. is brutal on a young man's libido. The culture is so painfully repressed. And the itch that wasn't getting scratched was getting, well, itchier and itchier...

So, it's not inconceivable that I could have eventually gotten even more subversive, trolled the bowels of NYC, and startws hanging out in places frequented by guys who look like the dude in black leather from the Village People.

Or maybe I woulda copped out and been in some hateful marriage in the 'burbs, eventually doing weird and pathetic things with other dead souls in the neighborhood.

As it stands, I'm living in paradise and having blood-rushing experiences I never imagined possible on the regular. So yeah, no regrets finding this divergent path... :sign0200:

• Like 1

excellent story BB, and surely something we can all relate to, anyone who reads this message board or others like it. It's a strange appeal, something almost other-worldly which grips us; we have found a place which is better than where we come from and yet costs 1/2 as much, has better weather, and of course; Ladyboys!

Which, lets face it, is the ultimate draw.....

I had dinner tonight with someone who has been here 3 times in the past year since first discovering Thailand in 2011, and he fully has the bug now and is considering moving here as well. It's like a drug for sure.

How has it changed my life? Coming here the first time allowed me to dream that I could actually live here, and then making it a reality; if I didn't come here the first time none of that would have occurred and most likely I never would have strayed too far from my hometown.

• Like 1

The reason I said this in the first instance is I do think about it a lot .

Sometimes I really do wish I'd never found the place .

I'd love to visit Brazil , Argentina , Cuba , Peru , Australia and a few other places but over the last 7 years I can't get beyond Thailand .

And its not that I love Thailand which I don't , its a sexual addiction to ladyboys .

I've always told myself that when I stop enjoying it I'll walk away problem is 18 trips down the line I'm still enjoying it too much .

An addiction/ affliction for sure .

Ah for 2 weeks in Magaluf B)

• Like 1

Ah for 2 weeks in Magaluf B)

It wasn't quite Magaluf, but Benidorm that was my chosen destination with a group of friends, twice a year for five years running. At that time I thought it didn't get much better than a week in the funtown that is Benidorm, hanging out with a decent bunch of guys and getting full drunk every night at Valentines or Top Of The Town bars, listening to the same comedians telling the same jokes,night after night.

Then one fateful day in 2005 a young man called Jim invited me to join him and a few friends on a voyage of discovery to Thailand. The rest is history. I returned to Benidorm once after that, but the magic was lost and I yearned only to return to LOS and possibly explore in more detsil this whole "ladyboy" thing.

For a few years now I have had zero contact with that original group of mates, just different preferences and choices in life now I guess. I really can never see myself at any time in the foreseeable, returning to the old routine around the likes of Benidorm, chasing average to ugly looking women, buying them drinks all night in the hope of a leg over, and them feeling special and beautiful because they have a bit of power over a half drunk horny guy. The disappointment at the end of the night when they disappear into the night with their friends, drunk as fuck without having spent a penny, while me and my mates staggered back to our overpriced accomodation trying to convince/kid ourselves that we had a great night out. But in hindsight , those holidays were a routine, a habit, and not a plethora of fun filled nights.

So no, I don't regret one bit discovering LOS, and all that goes with it, both positive and negative. That group of guys still to this day do the twice a year trip to Benidorm, and as I said, because our ideas of a good holiday now differ so dramatically, I no longer even keep in touch with them. That unfortunately is one downside of LOS taking over my life almost, but alas, I am more happy now than I have been in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I no longer even keep in touch with them. That unfortunately is one downside of LOS taking over my life almost, but alas, I am more happy now than I have been in a long time.

Yea I hear what you are saying about losing contact with friends at home Ciobha, but in many cases that is a natural progression anyway as we pursue different interests in life. But think of all the great guys you know now who you meet up with when in Los, so not all a loss. See you in November to share your new lifestyle. :drinks:

If I had never been to Thailand then I would still be in a bad relationship due to the fact I wasn't getting any younger and was convinced that was the only option available to me.

I always had a very good social life when I was younger. I would be out on the town most night with friends and also played in bands which while never successful did lead to one girl after another while moving in the right circles. When one relationship ended I would blink and be in another. I moved to a different town with a few friends, met new ones and the cycle continued.

As I was getting into my late 20's I started to settle with one girl and the social life started to drop off. Some friends moved away and I lost contact with a lot of others. After a few years the relationship wasn't working out and I moved back to my home town which is where the real problems began.

I had no social life at all now. For years the only outlet I had was work and although I got on with a few of the guys there it rarely carried over into things like going out as they were in relationships and at that time in their life where the social side seems to dry up.

Then I met Angie. I met her on a rare night out and we started seeing each other. Looking back there were enough warning signs at the beginning but I had not been in a relationship for quite a few years and I suppose in the back of my mind was almost thinking this was my last chance. Plus it was nice to have sex again (even if it had soon become once a month if I was lucky). We were together four years and the second half of that time was going through the all too familiar cycle of me realising I was not happy with the situation, breaking up, then after a month or so feeling desperate and getting back together with her. This situation was not only making me desperately unhappy but was also having and adverse effect on my health.

My parents had split up when I was young and as a result I had lost contact with my dad. During my relationship with Angie my mother died which was an all time low point and with no other family members left I tracked down my dad and started to rebuild a relationship with him.

Through the next couple of years he got to witness first hand the turmoil I was going through in my relationship with Angie and would offer support (and somewhere to stay) during the bad times.

The crunch came when me and Angie had once again split up and I was stopping at my dad's house. He'd been to Thailand a few times himself in the past and as it was coming up to my birthday he said "I've bought you an early birthday present, a return journey to Thailand so start saving some spending money!"

That first trip I had just ten days in Pattaya but it was the most amazing ten days of my life. It really woke me up to the fun I could be having and made me realise how stupid I'd been putting up with all the misery of my on / off relationship with Angie.

Needless to say, me and Angie never got back together but I have no doubt in my mind that if that trip had not happened then I would still be going through that unhappy cycle with her.

Pattaya made me realise that the fun doesn't need to stop once you're 40. Every six months I can have two weeks filled with more than enough fun to put my younger years to shame. Sure, it costs money - in the eighteen months since my first trip I have already spent over £8,000 on my four trips but had I not been going would this money be sat in the bank? No. It would only have been wasted on buying crap that I don't even need.

So, Thailand has been a big positive influence on my life. Sure there are times when it can be a rollercoaster of emotions but even when I feel low it's still a lot better than I felt in that bad relationship.

As for my (relatively new found) attraction to ladyboys? Well, I suppose it's made me more open minded, put me in fun situations I never would have dreamt of previously and added enormous colour to my trips.

Apologies for my life story, I didn't mean to go on so long :blush:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 7 years later...
2 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Another old thread that may cause a few more of you to reminisce on how discovering Los changed your life.  

It hasn't changed my life as I have never had any desire to live there tbh, but I have really enjoyed most of the 65 or so trips I have had to the Kingdom since July 2001. 

Meanwhile its back to Spain for myself and Ciobha for the time being :biggrin:, and my last two trips to Benidorm have been a blast and thoroughly enjoyable. B)

I do have a month's stay planned and accommodation booked in Pattaya for next June, should be fun again after a 16 month break from the place as it was becoming a tad  'same  same' for me. <_<

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, duke007 said:

It hasn't changed my life as I have never had any desire to live there tbh, 

But were you interested in transsexuals before you came to Thailand?  Many guys weren’t and discovering them in Los no doubt changed their sexual preferences and holidays options.  That’s the change I was getting at all those years back, if it hadn’t been for the discovery of ladyboys would guys have kept coming back to Los for the nightlife, food, culture, beaches etc or would they have checked out other destinations and filed Thailand under been there, saw that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

But were you interested in transsexuals before you came to Thailand?

I always quite fancied David Bowie in a sexual way, does that count? :wink:

I had zero interest in ladyboys until I met my first one in August 2004, but you are right... if it wasn't for the ladyboys I would have not kept returning to Thailand ... though if I never met a ladyboy again from now on it wouldn't bother me ^_^

• Like 2