Airline News

FatboyUK

Will you making your way down to Pattaya Sam? If so hope to finally meet you and share a beer. PD's buying. :drinks:

Man oh man nothing would make me happier than to make my way down to Pattaya to meet up with you and ESPECIALLY if PD is buying.  :biggrin:. However I am going from Bangkok directly to Samui for three weeks. I am with my gal and she does not approve of me going to Pattaya. I am sure you understand...

Nonetheless I am hoping the opportunity will present itself in the new year sometime for me to revisit and reconvene the sins of the past. 

I wish you the best for the holidays and same same for 2016 and beyond. 

Cheers Sam :biggrin: As it happens, if flights aren't an extortionate price, I may make a few days side tour to Samui, as I have an investment there, and haven't checked up on it for a few years. So who knows, we might get that drink after all. I'll raid PD's wallet before I come. :rolleye0012:

Cheers Sam :biggrin: As it happens, if flights aren't an extortionate price,

Unfortunately prices are usually high/very high for domestic flights to Samui. Especially if you book late. Bangkok Air owns the airport and charges dearly for the privilage of flying to Samui.

Unfortunately prices are usually high/very high for domestic flights to Samui. Especially if you book late. Bangkok Air owns the airport and charges dearly for the privilage of flying to Samui.

Prices are quite high though you can fly out of Swampy where they have free snacks in their Lounge or from U-Tapao.

A cheaper alternative is to fly from Don Muang to Surathani and then for an extra 400 baht you can buy a combined bus/ferry ticket.  

Depends on how valuable one's time is.

Yesterday there was a disgruntled passenger on Bangkok Air whio announced a bomb threat.

A foreign passenger was arrested after he made a bomb hoax abroad a Bangkok Airways flight heading from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Koh Samui, causing the flight to be delayed for over five hours.

The PG145 flight was supposed to take off at 2 pm but the passenger in question had quarrel with another foreign passenger and claimed that there was a bomb on board.

His statement prompted the pilot to abroad the take-off while the plane was on the taxiway, Sirote Duangrat, director of the Suvarnabhumi airport, said.

The plane was taxied to an isolate parking for authorities to check all luggage but no bomb was found.

The flight continued to Koh Samui at 7:30 pm.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Bangkok-Airways-flight-delayed-following-bomb-hoax-30274777.html

I may be wrong, but didn't regulations change a few years ago, meaning Bangkok Air no longer are allowed the monopoly on Samui airport and others can can now fly there??? Anyway, it may be a long shot, but as Emirates now have some sort of stake in Bangkok Air, and I have a lot of Emirates air miles, it might not be so bad. All that said, me knowing me, once I have settled in Pattaya, I couldn't be arsed moving n, even for a few days.

Looking out into mid January it's US$194 BKK-USM return and about US$224 from U-Tapao (UTP). Only one flight a day goes direct UTP-USM. The rest you fly to HKT and then turn around and go back to USM or go through BKK. Thai Air is about US$90 more from BKK. At least most of the flights out of BKK are an Airbus  A-319 (one flight is an ATR-72). All the flights out of UTP are an ATR-72 prop plane. I did HKT-USM-UTP once on two ATR-72s (changed planes in USM). Small seats and as I recall baggage weight and carry-on weight/space are less.  

• Upvote 1

Looking out into mid January it's US$194 BKK-USM return and about US$224 from U-Tapao (UTP). 

If the flight is at a good time, I prefer the Bell Bus to Swampy rather than going to U-Tapao.  

Either one is a pretty good alternative to Don Muang to Surathani although the ferry from Donsak to Samui is pleasant.

There are at least 50 homeless people who live inside Terminal B in the LaGuardia Airport, which they can get into without passing through security. Men and women have spread out on the floor and others curl up on chairs. Only a few are bunched together while others go solo and keep a distance from others.

"It has definitely increased - it's more noticeable on the overnight or midnight tours," a Port Authority source said.

According to the report of the New York Post, in the mornings, some of them leave and spend their time around town, but many others hang around 24/7, robbing food from vendors, and even washing themselves naked in bathroom sinks, passengers and airport employees say.

"They have taken over," said one worker in the food court. "You can't even use the bathroom. They take showers. They hang their clothes on the stalls. They are butt-naked. They think they are in their house."

"There ain't anywhere else for me to go that is warm and safe like here," said a 49-year-old man who has been living in the airport for a few months.

Squatters living in La Guardia Airport "have taken over," and passengers and employees are afraid to go near them.

Syracuse news said that these homeless people sometimes sleep on pieces of cardboard on the ground or in chairs. Airport staffs are reportedly afraid to disturb them. "Sometimes they sleep on the bathroom floor," one janitor told the Post. "I clean around them. I don't touch them. They might get mad, and I don't want any trouble."

These people say they are safer in the airport than at city shelters.

http://www.realtytoday.com/articles/62568/20151215/exclusive-real-estate-update-laguardia-airport-home-homeless-squatters.htm

Here's a great paper detailing how policies enacted under the Reagan administration have resulted in a dramatic increase in mentally ill folks living on the streets, rather than being cared for by society. As most of us realize, Reagan catered to business interests without looking at the long-term effects on the rest of us. Remember "trickle down" economics?

http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BA pilot's eyes damaged after laser attack

laser-pointer-cockpit.jpg

A British Airways co-pilot has damaged his eyes after a laser with 'military-strength' shone in the cockpit while on finals of Heathrow Airport. The co-pilot suffered burnt retina's, according to the head of the British Airline Pilots’ Association (Balpa). This is not the first laserpen accident, but one of the first ones where a pilot suffers serious eye damage.

According to Balpa's Jim McAuslan that people assumed that the laser was a military strength laser, this because the damage was way more severe then the damage from a 'normal' 5 dollar laserpen. The number of laser attacks grows every year. In the first 6 months of this year Heathrow had 46 laser attacks and, according to Balpa, 50% off all the pilots has been in a targeted plane in the last 12 months time.

Even though most off the laserpens are small and not very powerful, there are also very strong lasers. These types can burn through plastic, balloons, ignite matches and can cause severe damage to eyes. These lasers are usually sold on illegal sites and can cost up to 400 dollar.

“We urge our pilots to report such incidents so we can make the authorities aware.”, a spokeswoman stated. She also mentioned: "We are also aware of concern around the ease of access to lasers, the increasing power of the technology and the potential they have to cause injury.”.

• 5 weeks later...

A protest by a small group of pilots has forced Nok Air to cancel nine flights on Sunday causing hundreds of passengers to be stranded at Don Meuang international airport.

Nok Air CEO Pathee Sarasin said that he had not talked with about 4-5 protesting pilots yet about the reason of their protest but he reckoned that it stemmed from their dissatisfaction with the company’s upgrading of the standard of aviation inspection management to be in line with EASA standard.

Mr Pathee admitted that he was totally unaware of the protest in advance and when he learned about it at about 3 pm he ordered officials concerned to inform the passengers and, at the same time, contacted the other airlines to help accommodate the affected passengers.

He further said that the protesting pilots chose to stop working on Sunday because they knew that most planes were fully booked.

He said that the company had offered options for the affected passengers: if they are unable to fly, the company will arrange for hotel accommodation for them; they can get refund for their tickets if they don’t want to fly; the company will try to find seats in the other airlines or arrange for cars to send them home.

The company will hold a meeting on Monday to discuss the problem with the protesting pilots, said Mr Pathee as he assured that there would be no abrupt cancellation of flights.

Earlier, the company attributed technical problem for causing the cancellation of nine flights which include the followings: Don Meuang-Khon Kaen-Don Meuang, Don Meuang-Hat Yai-Don Meuang, Don Meuang-Nakhon Si Thammarat-Don Meuang, Don Meuang-Surat Thani-Don Meuang, Don Meuang-Phitsanuloke-Don Meuang, Don Meuang-Phuket-Don Meuang and Don Meuang-Ubon-Don Meuang.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150896

Well sort of Airline news...

Tuesday the 16th my airasia flight from Australia was cancelled so had to get the next flight the next day, they must of had a special on kids fly free or something , thousands of them ( well 12 anyway ) and they can all screem, yell and run up and down the isle at the same time ( little shits ) if I did that the cops would have got me when we landed in Kl.

Any way I am here now in bkk ..... Way cool man.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...