Airline News

FatboyUK

28 minutes ago, Soju said:

Yes that's round trip. I've used reward tickets before and it's usually about 60,000 Won.  A non-reward ticket runs about 500,000 or so but this year damn! add 30 to 40%

-I've never flown Seoul to Clark (Jeju Air?)  but did a Bangkok to Clark flight a few years back when Tiger Air used to do a direct flight.

Looks like there are direct flights to Clark out of both ICN and PUS.

2 hours ago, Soju said:

How much are flights from the UK to Thailand normally?

Pre-covid I could get return direct flights Heathrow-Bangkok in Jan/Feb for around £500-600. In January this year I paid £820.

The main reason seems to be because BA are still not flying to Bangkok so there are only Thai Airways and Eva Air flying there direct.

No current direct flights to Thailand from USA. The only current direct flight from North America to Thailand is Air Canada out of Vancouver, departing on Mon., Wed, Fri, Sun, and returns on Tues, Wed, Fri, and Sun. They are operating that route with the 787-9, which is a nice plane.

This will be only for the winter months for now.

• Like 2

If The thai government finished the portion of the track in the north and lined it up with what the chinese built you could take a train from london to singapore i guess in theory , whats the hold up i do not know , the chinese finished two months early and they were blasting through 67 mountains and 50 overhead gorge bridges all the thai need to do is upgrade the existing track , i guess avoiding any flight would be an incentive for me ... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I stopped checking for ladyboys prices and opportunities. As I was exploring possibilities in Indonesia, I also checked airline tickets prices and found out that was a bit too much expensive. I hope that what I posted might interest a BM coming from Australia or New Zealand since Indonesia is closer to these countries than Thailand. I then checked airline prics to go to Vietnam (I still intend to have a last trip in VN) then Thailand. Too much expensive too. 

I'm used to pay a few tens of euros above the minimum prices since I use the services of a travel agency. At least, I can have good info and advice. Prices should remain high this year. The reason is that airline companies didn't open so many new airlines this year so demand is higher than offers. 

Therefore, I'm afraid that'll be a no go for me this year. Since I got used to traveling at the end of Autumn, I will probably look for another destination, using airline programs with low prices, but I'm not sure I will be likely to find ladyboys near the beaches I will visit to have lazy time. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

A pet peeve of mine is over-airconditioned planes, busses, and movie theatres.  Stumbled across this nugget today:

Here is a flight attendant secret: We sometimes keep the airplane cold intentionally. For people who struggle with airsickness, heat makes it worse. We don’t want anyone to use those sick sacks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bangkok Airways has introduced weight measurement for all passengers before boarding, effective until October 31st, assuring that the information obtained will be kept confidential.

The airline said in a statement that the weighing of passengers is in line with the standard measures of the International Civil Aviation Organisation and the purpose is to aid in the calculation of the take-off weight, to ensure flight safety.

The airline said the weighing will be done at the departure gate before boarding and it is seeking cooperation from all passengers.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-airways-applies-now-weighing-passengers-before-boarding/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Bangkok Airways has introduced weight measurement for all passengers before boarding, effective until October 31st, assuring that the information obtained will be kept confidential.

The airline said in a statement that the weighing of passengers is in line with the standard measures of the International Civil Aviation Organisation and the purpose is to aid in the calculation of the take-off weight, to ensure flight safety.

The airline said the weighing will be done at the departure gate before boarding and it is seeking cooperation from all passengers.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-airways-applies-now-weighing-passengers-before-boarding/

Pfff ... another queue ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Engine explodes on Thai Lion Air flight.

The engine of an aircraft from Don Mueang carrying famed singer Unnop Thongborisut, better known as Por, exploded mid-flight, causing widespread panic among passengers

The incident occurred as the aircraft was en route from Don Mueang Airport, with the safe landing achieved at the same airport. Por, one of the passengers, posted a clip on her Instagram story recounting the terrifying experience.

TikTok user @ben_benga, another passenger on the flight, uploaded a video of the captain and crew explaining the incident to the passengers. He stated that the flight had taken off from Don Mueang at 11.10am and landed back at the same airport at 12.05pm due to an issue with the right engine.

Passengers alerted the crew of sparks coming from the right engine, following which the engine was shut down. The captain declared that the flight could not continue and had to return to Don Mueang.

As passengers began to feel ill, the captain conversed with the passengers who reported the sparks. Half of the passengers were vomiting, while others were fainting. Upon landing, everyone clapped and cheered in relief.

One particular passenger who reported the sparks said that the plane had been shaking during takeoff and that a long streak of fire could be seen coming from the engine. A flight attendant happened to ask the passenger, who then reported the incident.

The captain explained that there were two possible causes. He was unsure whether a bird had flown into the engine as they had flown through a flock of birds on the right side. However, the incident occurred at around 6,000 feet, while the bird had passed at around 4,000 to 5,000 feet two to three days earlier.

The bird was large, but there was a delay before the incident happened. Once the engine failure was recognised, it had to be shut down, and there were indeed sparks at that time, reported KhaoSod.

Another passenger who reported the incident, TikTok user @maisl284, posted a clip of the captain explaining the probable cause after she reported the incident. The captain then returned to his duties, expressing his gratitude to @ben_benga and @maisl284 for their vigilance.

19 hours ago, Zeppie said:

Engines are tested for such ingestions........I think they use chicken fired into the engine......

Yes, they are. I saw such videos. they use 6 kg dead chicken (ready to be used for a kitchen) packed in polystyrene boxes. Most of the times, the engine experienced what is called 'engine surge'. After the first surge, the engine should come back to  normal running? But when old engines surge, they are likely to repeat the bad operating and the pilot must cut off the engine rapidly. It's probably due to the surge (or the bird or both) damaged the engine. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Federal Aviation Administration on Saturday ordered U.S. airlines to stop using some Boeing 737 Max 9 planes until they were inspected, less than a day after one of those planes lost a chunk of its body in midair, terrifying passengers until the plane landed safely.

Alaska and United Airlines on Saturday began canceling dozens of flights after grounding their Max 9 fleets so the planes could undergo the federally mandated inspections.

Alaska Airlines Flight 1282 took off from Portland, Ore., on Friday, bound for Ontario, Calif., but was diverted back to Portland six minutes later, according to FlightAware, a flight tracking website. Those on board the flight described an unnerving experience, with wind blowing through a gaping hole that showed the night sky and the city lights below. The plane landed about 20 minutes after it had taken off, and no one aboard was seriously injured.

A passenger, Vi Nguyen of Portland, said that she woke up to a loud sound during the flight. “I open up my eyes and the first thing I see is the oxygen mask right in front of me,” Ms. Nguyen, 22, said. “And I look to the left and the wall on the side of the plane is gone.”

“The first thing I thought was, ‘I’m going to die,’” she added.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent a team to Portland to begin its investigation into the incident.

While the F.A.A. has yet to publicly discuss what caused the incident, it ordered airlines to inspect what it called a “mid cabin door plug.” Some of the Boeing 737 Max 9s are configured with fewer seats and, therefore, do not need all the exits originally designed for the plane. The unneeded doors are filled with a plug. The Alaska Air plane had two of those unneeded doors, located between the rear of the plane and the wing emergency exits, that were “plugged.”

Forrest Gossett, a spokesman for Spirit AeroSystems, said on Saturday that his company installed door plugs on the Max 9s and that Spirit had installed the plug on the Alaska Air flight.

The F.A.A.’s order affects about 171 planes. The agency said that the required inspections should take four to eight hours per plane to complete.