Airline News

FatboyUK

47 minutes ago, duke007 said:

I paid 700 baht for mine while sat at Mr Pee Bar one afternoon on Beach Road, I was unsure myself because the battery on my phone was dead but the lady put my phone on charge and I tested the speaker using bluetooth from my phone, it works great and its worth every penny imho for what I want it for B)

pee bar.jpg

thanks and by the way I would be suspect of anything I bought sitting in a place called Mr. Pee bar :) 

23 minutes ago, globetrotter said:

thanks and by the way I would be suspect of anything I bought sitting in a place called Mr. Pee bar :) 

The thing was is that I was dying for a pee and thought it an apt place to go and have one, had a few bottles of Tiger's while I was at it and a also bought a drink for and had a good chat with a gg who works there, also had my trainers cleaned and bought a DVD which was tested in front of me.........Result :biggrin:

pee7.jpg

pee6.jpg

pee5.jpg

25 minutes ago, duke007 said:

The thing was is that I was dying for a pee and thought it an apt place to go and have one, had a few bottles of Tiger's while I was at it and a also bought a drink for and had a good chat with a gg who works there, also had my trainers cleaned and bought a DVD which was tested in front of me.........Result :biggrin:

pee7.jpg

pee6.jpg

pee5.jpg

I love one stop shopping 

• 2 weeks later...

Qatar Airways is taking on the US government's ban on large electronics with a rather ingenious solution: loaner laptops.

On Thursday, the Doha, Qatar-based airline announced that business-class passengers aboard its flights to the US would have access to loaner laptops beginning next week.

"By providing this laptop loan service we can ensure that our passengers on flights to the US can continue to work whilst on-board," Qatar Airways Group's CEO, Akbar Al Baker, said in a statement.

"This unique ability to offer 'business as usual,' above and beyond the competition, is yet another example of Qatar Airways justification for being the 'World's Best Business Class.'"

In addition, business-class passengers will have access to complimentary Wi-Fi.

Qatar Airways has not announced which type of laptops will be available.

The loaner program will not be available to economy-class passengers. At the same time, Qatar Airways has moved toward a two-cabin class configuration, which means the airline's flights to the US operate without a first-class cabin.

The laptop program is the latest reaction by one of the nine airlines affected by the US laptop ban. The policy, which took effect Saturday, prohibits passengers flying to the US from some airports in the Middle East and North Africa from carrying-on electronics bigger than a smartphone. The US government has said it introduced the policy in response to fears that terrorists could hide explosives within electronics, though it has not mentioned any imminent plots.

While all of the affected carriers have made it clear they plan to comply with the ban, they have also come up with a series of ways to work around the US government's new policy.

On Wednesday, the Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates-based Etihad Airways announced that it would offer first- and business-class passengers free Wi-Fi and loaner iPads on US-bound flights beginning Saturday.

Earlier this week, Turkish Airlines announced on Twitter that passengers who turned in their laptops and tablets at boarding would receive free Wi-Fi on board. Last week, Emirates implemented a laptop handling program allowing passengers getting on US-bound flights to have access to their laptop until boarding. The Dubai, UAE-based carrier has also hinted that it may offer loaner laptops.

According to Emirates' president, Tim Clark, the US government's laptop ban has created logistical challenges for the airline and the airports that handle its flights. Thus far, the short-term effects have not been as dire as anticipated, while its long-term effects won't be clear for some time, Clark told Business Insider. Not having access to laptops, however, is still an inconvenience to the carrier's passengers.

qatar laptop.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I flew from the States to Asia is was flying the very friendly skies of United.  I was treated like royalty!

A couple days ago, after the flight was fully boarded, the Gate Agents found out the head count was wrong and some extra seats were needed but nobody wanted to voluntarily deplane for the level of compensation being offered.

A 69 year old Chinese doctor was chosen for involuntarily removal based on elite flyer status, fare class etc. Removal once you're on the plane is obviously a different sort of situation than simply being denied to board based on overbooking.

He must have only paid for Vomit Class!

So private security removed him by force. Brings back memories of the 1968 Democratic Convention which was also in the Windy City.

The video of the removal is in the ABOVE post.

United is suffering in the wake of tremendous backlash via social media over this incident. Their stock has tumbled 3.7% since. United's CEO has been falling over backwards apologizing but they continue to receive abundant negative fallout. It turns out the flight wasn't oversold but just full and they needed to get four of their employees to another airport to work another flight. They handled this situation terribly and it is unfortunate. United can expect a heavy lawsuit as well as the Chicago airport security folk. 

3 hours ago, SiamSam said:

United is suffering in the wake of tremendous backlash via social media over this incident. Their stock has tumbled 3.7% since. United's CEO has been falling over backwards apologizing but they continue to receive abundant negative fallout. It turns out the flight wasn't oversold but just full and they needed to get four of their employees to another airport to work another flight. They handled this situation terribly and it is unfortunate. United can expect a heavy lawsuit as well as the Chicago airport security folk. 

And rightly so that was a complete disgrace I hope the guy takes them to the cleaners 

• Upvote 1

Doctor Dao said his experience on the friendly tarmacs of United was more horrific than his escape from Vietnam in 1974. He had a broken nose, lost some teeth, and a concussion. FFS

One thing for sure is he will get more money from CEO Munoz than he got from Chairman Ho.

The London Daily Mail reported that Doctor Dao traded prescription drugs for secret gay sex with a patient half his age in Kentucky.

The experience on the plane left him dazed and confused; see he video below.

Here is Jimmy Dore's take on the situation. He bring sup a good point that if United is determined to to forceably remove him that all passemgers should deplane so no other passengers become collateral damage in a physical altercation.

• 1 month later...

Emirates and Etihad suspend flights to Qatar - how your flight could be affected EMIRATES and Etihad Airways have both suspended flights to Doha, as Middle Eastern nations sever diplomatic ties with Qatar.

The Middle Eastern airlines have announced the unprecedented suspension of flight services to Doha, the capital of Qatar. 

Etihad and Emirates will continue a normal schedule today but as of tomorrow morning, there will be no more flights to or from the nation.

Qatar’s Doha is a well known connection point for long-haul flights from the UK. 

The country’s national airline, Qatar Airways, has yet to reveal how it will operate based on the suspension. 

An Etihad Airways spokesman said the Abu Dhabi airline will “suspend flights to and from Qatar on Tuesday morning…until further notice”. 

The last flight from Abu Dhabi to Doha will depart at 02:45 local time on Tuesday.

Dubai-based Emirates announced its own suspension plan on its website this morning. 

The significant decision comes in the wake of several Middle Eastern nations severing diplomatic ties with Qatar

Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE have all cut ties this morning with the peninsular nation.

They have collectively accused Qatar of supporting Islamist groups and the terrorist movement. 

Qatar officials have argued there is “no legitimate justification" for the four countries cutting it off. 

Land, sea and air contact with the Gulf state has been severed, with Bahrain blaming Qatar’s “media incitement, support for armed terrorist activities and funding linked to Iranian groups to carry out sabotage and spreading chaos in Bahrain”.

A close ally of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain is giving Qatar’s citizens 14 days to leave the country.

In contrast Bahrain and Emirates diplomats have been given only 48 hours to leave Qatar.

Egypt has cut ties after accusing the Gulf Arab state of supporting “terrorist” organisations including the Muslim Brotherhood, the country's state news agency reported.

The agency added that Qatar's policy “threatens Arab national security and sows the seeds of strife and division within Arab societies according to a deliberate plan aimed at the unity and interests of the Arab nation.”

Saudi Arabia said Qatari troops would be pulled from its continuing war in Yemen.

7 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Doesn't sound like the ideal venue for the World Cup. :rolleye0012:

It never did funny enough 

There's clear evidence their bid to win the 2022 World cup was bought by corruption and bribes , dozen's of people have died in slave labour conditions building stadiums , the English Premiership will have to be rearranged that season as it has to be played Nov/Dec due to the heat .... and of course last but not least the links to terrorism .

But money talks and the charade must go on ...

Have a look at some entitled twat berating an airport customer service agent in brussles.  What a twat.  Hes American-could be Canadian but I doubt it.  Its on youtube if someone can post/link it.  They were working for ryan Air.  I guess you must print out your own boarding pass.  If you dont they charge you 50 Euros.  Stupid I know but I guess you get forewarned.  this guy didnt do his homework and acts like a total asshole/bully.  I wish we knew whom he was.  Hope he either paid up or wasnt allowed to board!

39 minutes ago, ArchieBunker said:

Have a look at some entitled twat berating an airport customer service agent in brussles.  What a twat.  Hes American-could be Canadian but I doubt it.  Its on youtube if someone can post/link it.  They were working for ryan Air.  I guess you must print out your own boarding pass.  If you dont they charge you 50 Euros.  Stupid I know but I guess you get forewarned.  this guy didnt do his homework and acts like a total asshole/bully.  I wish we knew whom he was.  Hope he either paid up or wasnt allowed to board!

This one?, and I agree that the guy is a Grade A cunt and twat 

The guy is an asshole.

But the CEO of Ryan air is even a bigger asshole.  Some customers aren't going to check all the small print to discover that they have to pay a 50 euro surcharge if they didn't print out a boarding pass in this day and age when many people have a boarding pass on their phone.

50 euros. Fuck you Ryan Air.

Ryan Air management must know there are going to be lots of pissed off people and despite knowing that they put this poor young lady in the line of fire.

The asshole customer is not the first guy who was taking a connecting flight and had no means of printing out his boarding pass. She probably gets irate customers due to this issue a few times a week. Management knows this and management also knows that a percentage of the irate customers will be an extreme asshole like this clown. 

I wouldn't be happy if it was 5 euros but that would be enough of a deternet so that most people would print it out.

50 fucking Euros.

Ryan Air was the airline that was going to charge people to use the Hong Nam until there was too big of a backlash.

Shame on the CEO who put this girl in the line of fire by instituting this stupid policy.

And yes, the customer is an asshole.....that management should have anticipated.

I always read the small print with low cost airlines, for add ons and any other surprise shit that may be thrust upon me at the airport

The other passengers in this video seemed to know about the extra 50 euro surcharge if you not print off your ticket, why didn't this prick? :blink:

I certainly don't agree with it and I would never fly Ryan Air anyway, but it is there in black and white at the end of the day.

btw....I find Air Asia ok   :biggrin:

4 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

a total a-hole to be sure, definitely not Canadian with that  accent though 

1 hour ago, duke007 said:

btw....I find Air Asia ok   :biggrin:

I fly Air Asia quite a bit and they have a reputation for being inexpensive but they aren't all that cheap.

For domestic flights inside Thailand, Thai Lion Air is often cheaper especially if you have checked baggage.

Sometimes even Thai Airways and Bangkok Air are even cheaper and they both fly out of Swampy. Thai Airways has a generous 30 kilo free baggage allowance and with Bangkok Air you can use their lounge with free coffee, juice, pastries, and very light snacks.

With Air Asia if you are flying with a friend and want to sit next to each other you need to pay extra. You also have to make sure that you unchecked their insurance and unchecked their crappie paid meal. They try to induce you to pick a seat by not making it obvious upfront that it costs extra. And if booking online there is no avoiding their credit charge surcharge.

What I find irritating is that you can't find out the final price until you fill in lots of personal info.

But I used to assume that they were always cheaper and sometimes they are cheapest.

With Thai Airways, the price you see is what u get with 30 free kilos of checked baggage. 

One good thing that Air Asia offers is emergency exit row seats for an extra 11 bucks which is worth it IMO on long 3 and 1/2 hour flights to the PI as generally nobody pays extra for a middle seat so you probably will have nobody next to you and lots of extra leg room.

Hong Nam is free on Air Asia.  :party0011:

If going from Pattaya to Don Muang you can take the Bell Bus to Swampy and then a free shuttle from Swampy to Don Muang.

But if going from Don Muang to Pattaya, the free shuttle is not available, they check if you have a ticket but sometimes you can bullshit your way on if your nice. The Ryan Air ASSHOLE wouldn'T Be Able To Do it.

The Air Asia Flights I had pre-booked for this month were both reasonably priced for me

DMK - SGN

REP - DMK

This included seat selection and extra baggage, my intention was to stay in Bangkok the night before my outward flight anyway and to get a taxi back from DMK to Pattaya for 1500 baht on my return 

Just a shame I had to cancel my trip :biggrin:

Very rarely do I have to actually buy airline tickets.  Did a few months ago on Air Asia and was stunned I was charged almost 1,000 baht to pay ONLINE with a CREDIT CARD.  What was I supposed to do, mail them cash??  i felt ripped off.

i wish we knew who this asshole was berating this staff.  Believe me I would have handled this differently.  Would have been professional but firm and I would have kicked this up the food chain.  If you are dealing with someone irrational or agitated, its OK to punt to football.  Try and deal with it but, if its obvious you cannot placate, up the food chain it goes.

this prick seems like a totally entitled asshole/cupcake, the type we (america) seems to be producing in abundance.  Everyone is a victim, my RIGHTS are being trampled.  Actually no one has a RIGHT to fly, no one has a RIGHT to bully staff. I wonder what he does for a living?

i cannot help but think that the stuff in the news about airlines recently totally embolden cock wombles like this.

• Upvote 2

Not exactly on topic but I am just booking a ticket to BKK. From where I live in Aus it is a stopover flight. Amazing to see the variation in fares with the cheapest also the quickest. You do have to add $100.00 for checked baggage which brings it up to just under the luggage inclusive fares, but some of these have total travel times of 2-3 times as long as the cheapest!!!.Why anybody would buy one of those fares beggars belief.

My thoughts about air travel are to spend the least amount of time possible in one of those aluminium cigar tubes, especially with screaming kids around which seems to be more common these days. Not forgetting the stopovers which can last 4-5 hours!.

I did not go with the cheapest but with Singapore Airlines as I was able to get a combined flight which takes only an hour more, and I will be flying with one of the best airlines.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

i cannot help but think that the stuff in the news about airlines recently totally embolden cock wombles like this.

I think you're on to something there Arch.

It must be extremely embarrassing for the cockwomble when his coworkers and neighbors see the video.

On another note :biggrin:

IN a bid to keep up with other airlines that it admires and aspires to be like, budget flight providers Ryanair have announced that they will be following United Airlines example, when it comes to dragging people off their planes, adding that they will be imposing a 15 euro charge to cover the cost of the process.