Airline News

FatboyUK

5 hours ago, Billy69 said:

most of the time this deals are come up  at Skyscaner.

Skyscanner seems to be the most popular airline search site in the UK and Ireland.

Hey guys, just a reminder, if you are using Skyscanner we would really appreciate it if you use the Skyscanner links on our sister site, Asia Hotel and Travel.  

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/forum/24-direct-travel-links/

Same cost to you but helps defray the cost of running the forum as we earn a small commission on searches that are followed by a click through to see all the details at one of Skyscanners partners even if there is no purchase.

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Skyscanner seems to be the most popular airline search site in the UK and Ireland.

Hey guys, just a reminder, if you are using Skyscanner we would really appreciate it if you use the Skyscanner links on our sister site, Asia Hotel and Travel.  

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/forum/24-direct-travel-links/

Same cost to you but helps defray the cost of running the forum as we earn a small commission on searches that are followed by a click through to see all the details at one of Skyscanners partners even if there is no purchase.

Added your link to bookmarks...I'm always looking at Skyscanner...you'll be getting lots of small commissions from me..:friends:

All ready looking for a flights for November trip...But my last few flights are always been with EVA air..I only fly indirect if saving is  more then £90+ over direct flight...with short stop overs..

PS..

Dose any one knows any tricks how to secure economy seat on Qatar's 380's upper deck?  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Billy69 said:

Dose any one knows any tricks how to secure economy seat on Qatar's 380's upper deck?  

I would imagine you would have to book your Flights direct with the Qatar Airways website where you can pick your seats and would have to do so many many months in advance, or book with a London Qatar Airways Agent, only a theory 

London Harrods Ticket Desk - London, SW1X 7XL

Address London Harrods Ticket Desk
  Harrods Lower Ground Floor, 87-135 Brompton Road
  Knightsbridge
  London, SW1X 7XL, United Kingdom
Booking fee: A £25 per person fee applies to all bookings not made on qatarairways.co.uk
Harrods opening hours: Monday-Saturday 10am-9pm, Sunday 11:30am-6pm.
Closest underground station: Knightsbridge
General reservations 0330 024 0125 (Open Monday to Saturday 9am-6pm and Sunday 9am-5pm).
Trade support 0330 024 0126
Trade support hours: 9am-6pm Monday-Saturday
Privilege Club support 0330 024 0127
Website support 0330 024 0128
Other Telephone: null
Fax: 0207 341 602

btw....as an Economy passenger on the Upper Deck of the Qatar A380 you will be the last passengers off the plane

Good point Mr. Duke. On these large aircrafts if you are one of the last to disembark it can take another 20 to 30 minutes just to get everyone off. Add that time to the often times long taxis to the terminal you can add an additional 45 minutes to your trip after you land. Not fun after a 10 or 12 hour trip. All that grief just to sit in the economy section of the upper deck isn't my cuppa. 

• Upvote 1

Unless I have a connecting flight or think I might be in a rush to catch the Bell Bus, I prefer to be in the back of the plane as I am convinced you're more likely to have an empty seat next to you in the back. But then I'm also told that nowadays they try to fill every seat.

I try to make up for the lost time by walking as fast as I can to Immigration often passing 50 people in the process.

But I find that unless Immigration is super slow that I'm almost at te baggage carousel before my luggage arrives,

30 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

But I find that unless Immigration is super slow that I'm almost at te baggage carousel before my luggage arrives,

Tell me about it, just when I think I have done really well by getting through immigration in good time and my first luggage bag arrives very quickly, the second one turns up 30 minutes later :search:

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Unless I have a connecting flight or think I might be in a rush to catch the Bell Bus, I prefer to be in the back of the plane as I am convinced you're more likely to have an empty seat next too you in the back. But then I'm also told that nowadays they try to fill every seat.

I try to make up for the lost time by walking as fast as I can to Immigration often passing 50 people in the process.

I'm guessing most of you guys know there is 2 immigration points at BKK airport..If first one is to bizy just walk to next one ..about 50-60 yards away..That one is never bizy ..you can save 20-30 min.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Billy69 said:

I'm guessing most of you guys know there is 2 immigration points at BKK airport..If first one is to bizy just walk to next one ..about 50-60 yards away..That one is never bizy ..you can save 20-30 min.

I am aware of it but it does not make your suitcase arrive any quicker if it is the back of the line :biggrin:, I check in on-line 48 hours before my Flight now to get a good seat, and be able to unload my suitcases at the drop-off counter at Manchester Airport 2 hours before departure (without queues at check in counter ) in the hope that my suitcases will be one of the last on the plane so in theory one of the first off, then after a couple of trips I realised my bags get transferred at the connecting Airport be it Doha, Dubai or Hong Kong so that put an end to that theory :crazy:

22 hours ago, Billy69 said:

Depending on ones arrival gate you can come in on different sides of immigration. On most flights I take to BKK as I walk toward immigration it is on the left. However I've had Cathay Pacific flights that when I approach customs it's on the right. So it can be relative as to which side the next one is located.

For 850 baht BFS Services will meet you at the gate, take you through Fast Track (FT) immigration, to the baggage carousel, out of customs and to wherever you are going in the airport to get a ride. It's 1600 baht if you want to ride in an electric cart instead of walking. I used the 850 baht option once and they took me to a FT that isn't the usual business class FT. There were four staffed immigration desks and two were immediately available. The female immigration officer even joked with me a bit. I assume BFS has some special FT thing going with the airport as it looked like a VIP FT. FWIW

https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/index.html

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Depending on ones arrival gate you can come in on different sides of immigration. On most flights I take to BKK as I walk toward immigration it is on the left. However I've had Cathay Pacific flights that when I approach customs it's on the right. So it can be relative as to which side the next one is located.

For 850 baht BFS Services will meet you at the gate, take you through Fast Track (FT) immigration, to the baggage carousel, out of customs and to wherever you are going in the airport to get a ride. It's 1600 baht if you want to ride in an electric cart instead of walking. I used the 850 baht option once and they took me to a FT that isn't the usual business class FT. There were four staffed immigration desks and two were immediately available. The female immigration officer even joked with me a bit. I assume BFS has some special FT thing going with the airport as it looked like a VIP FT. FWIW

https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/index.html

Well..Call me a cheap Carly but I'm not going to pay 1600 or even 850bt to save 20-30 min....1600bt is more then 2 days money for my loom..or a LT... :cool:

1 hour ago, Billy69 said:

Well..Call me a cheap Carly but I'm not going to pay 1600 or even 850bt to save 20-30 min....1600bt is more then 2 days money for my loom..or a LT... :cool:

OK Carly. :Drooling:  I signed up for the 850 baht service a few days before I arrived after reading two forum stories about guys that got stuck in two hour lines at immigration. But standing in lines is one of my least favorite activities. I would never spring for the 1600 baht ride but I can do 850 to not stand in line. Different strokes for different folks. I'll probably use it again when I'm not flying business class which provides a complementary FT pass. 1600 baht is also more than two days where I stay.

Netflights is showing £408 with EVA air for November...at Skyscaner...From London..I thinks thats the best price i have seen for long time for a direct flight...Only wished Eva din't stopped the early afternoon flights..14 years ago payed £350 for the same flight..

I thought BFS was the greatest thing since sliced bread the first time I used it but the balloon soon burst on a subsequent trip.

I got through their speedy immigration quickly that day but then waited for ages at the baggage carousel and saw the guy I sat next to on the plane already on his way out with suitcase on a trolley - he'd been through the standard immigration queue.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2016 at 2:38 AM, KendoUK said:

I thought BFS was the greatest thing since sliced bread the first time I used it but the balloon soon burst on a subsequent trip.

I got through their speedy immigration quickly that day but then waited for ages at the baggage carousel and saw the guy I sat next to on the plane already on his way out with suitcase on a trolley - he'd been through the standard immigration queue.

I used BFS on a flight from Phnom Penh. Those flights don't go directly to the terminal and one must take a 6-10 minute bus ride to the terminal. Even though I went pretty much directly to the carousels my bag was already out. But that was a A319 that was about half full. 

I would use BFS again for the off chance that I might get caught in a huge immigration queue. I did a 90 minute queue years ago and will blow the $$ just in case. But steerage economy class baggage can take a long time to come out on the big planes. 

• 3 months later...

Air Asia management has categorically denied that it forced one cabin crew to apologize a passenger by means of prostrating before her and her autistic niece.
The incident occurred on September 2 and the incident was eventually posted on the social media and went wild sparking off dissenting comments against the woman passenger and also against a manager of the airline for allegedly forcing the crew to prostrate.

Many of the comments came from staff of Air Asia as they vented frustration on the social media against the passenger as well as the manager.

The incident has prompted Air Asia CEO Tony Fernandez to fly into Bangkok to personally assure the company’s Thai staff that is fair to its staff.

Tony Fernandez, accompanied by the airline’s Thai executives, will on Friday fly to Hat Yai to personally apologize to the air crew and her family over the unfortunate incident.

At a meeting with the Thai staff on Thursday, the CEO vowed to take responsibility for the incident and assured them that the management has always attached importance to its staff.

Mr Tassapol Belevelle, CEO of Thai Air Asia, said the airline did not force the crew member to prostrate in front of the passenger but it was the crew member herself to perform the prostration in order to end the dispute with the passenger.

The incident reportedly stemmed from the crew member who approached the passenger’s autistic daughter to offer help but her approach was mistaken by her mother that the crew mocked her daughter, demanding an apology from the crew.

It was reported in the social media that even though the crew had apologized and “wai” the passenger, the latter was not satisfied and demanded that she prostrated to apologize.

In the aftermath of the incident, Mr Tassapol said the airline would adjust the in-flight protocol regarding conflict between cabin crews and passengers by referring the incidents to the customer’s relations department.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/air-asia-management-says-crew-volunteered-prostrate-passenger-apologize/

• 4 months later...

THIS is the terrifying moment ten passengers restrain a rampaging drunk at 35,000ft on a British Airways flight.

The Russian man became “very aggressive” after drinking one litre of duty-free Whiskey and complimentary in-flight drinks on an 11-hour flight from Heathrow to Bangkok on January 21.

Shocking mobile phone footage shows eight men and two women grapple with the thug, while cabin crew fetch handcuffs and straight-jacket style body straps.

They eventually subdue the aggressor and hold him down in his seat for the remaining two hours of the flight.

Passenger Simon Johnson, 47, who helped tackle the rowdy passenger while a friend filmed, said the Russian was ”out of control”.

The chef, 47, from Darlington, bundled the man into his seat after being attacked while waiting for the toilet.

He said: ”I was standing near his seat waiting for the lavatory when he came behind me and he hit me in the back and started pushing me.

”He was a big lad, very drunk, and very aggressive. It was pretty scary. I got him down into his seat but he was still causing a problem.

”There were eight men and two women helping to control him at one point. The cabin crew couldn’t cope. One of them went to get handcuffs and we had to restrain him.

”The man was making a lot of noise, shouting and being violent. It happened at around 35,000ft which is pretty terrifying.”

Simon, a former doorman, said passengers had to restrain the tourist as the plane descended into Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi Airport at 9.25am local time on January 22.

They found a bottle of whiskey under his seat that was ”about three quarters empty”.

Armed Thai police boarded the Boeing 777 but said they couldn’t arrest the man until he was on the tarmac.

Passengers and cabin crew were then forced to bundle the passenger off the plane before cops took him away.

Simon was offered 2,000THB compensation and an upgrade to business class on his return flight for the heroic deed, which he accepted.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2732305/terrifying-moment-10-passengers-restrain-rampaging-drunk-russian-on-british-airways-flight/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought one of these Bose speakers last month in Pattaya and it has been brilliant to carry around and listen to Talksport while my phone was on charge.

I was worried that I would not be able to bring it back to the UK when I flew home last Thursday so I carried it in my hand luggage and showed it the girl at the check in counter, she asked me to turn it on and it says something like "bluetooth connected", she then says to me "ok, no problem" and I am off through the baggage check and onto the plane with it

As the UK ban does not include Qatar and the UAE and as I fly with either Qatar or Emirates airlines I shall be taking it back to Pattaya with me  :)

Bose1.jpg

Bose.jpg

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, duke007 said:

I bought one of these Bose speakers last month in Pattaya and it has been brilliant to carry around and listen to Talksport while my phone was on charge.

I was worried that I would not be able to bring it back to the UK when I flew home last Thursday so I carried it in my hand luggage and showed it the girl at the check in counter, she asked me to turn it on and it says something like "bluetooth connected", she then says to me "ok, no problem" and I am off through the baggage check and onto the plane with it

As the UK ban does not include Qatar and the UAE and as I fly with either Qatar or Emirates airlines I shall be taking it back to Pattaya with me  :)

Bose1.jpg

Bose.jpg

where did you buy it (have seen bar room hawkers selling them but always leary about them ) and how much you pay? 

18 minutes ago, globetrotter said:

where did you buy it (have seen bar room hawkers selling them but always leary about them ) and how much you pay? 

I paid 700 baht for mine while sat at Mr Pee Bar one afternoon on Beach Road, I was unsure myself because the battery on my phone was dead but the lady put my phone on charge and I tested the speaker using bluetooth from my phone, it works great and its worth every penny imho for what I want it for B)

pee bar.jpg

• Upvote 1