Airline News

FatboyUK

On 11/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, BigTel said:

Absolutely !      I shan't be rushing to Scoot I will stick with Qatar Air at these prices.   :drinks:

First Scoot flight to Bangkok was yesterday. A report is in the Telegraph, link below. Took 12 hours 30 minutes. Direct flights I have been on with BA, Eva Air and Thai Airways take around 11 hours 20 minutes iirc.  A late booking for today's flight costs £877. I think cheaper options could be found. The flight arrived 2 hours and thirty-five minutes late.

I too won't be rushing to book with Scoot.

https://www.uk.yahoo.com/style/board-first-low-cost-flight-102327621.html

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued an airworthiness notification regarding the 5G network deployment and the Boeing 787 aircraft family.

According to the FAA, in the airworthiness notification released January 14, 2022, operators of Boeing 787s are required to take additional precautions when landing on wet or snowy runways at airports where 5G C-band service is deployed.

“The FAA determined anomalies on Boeing Model 787-8, 787-9, and 787-10 airplanes due to 5G C-Band interference which may affect multiple airplane systems using radio altimeter data, regardless of the approach type or weather,” the FAA airworthiness notification said.

“These anomalies may not be evident until the airplane is at low altitude during approach. Impacted systems include, but are not limited to: autopilot flight director system; autothrottle system; engines; thrust reversers; flight controls; flight instruments; traffic alert and collision avoidance system (TCAS); ground proximity warning system (GPWS); and configuration warnings.”

Further, the notification added: “During landing, this interference could prevent proper transition from AIR to GROUND mode, which may have multiple effects. As a result, lack of thrust reverser and speedbrake deployment and increased idle thrust may occur; and brakes may be the only means to slow the airplane. Therefore, the presence of 5G C-Band interference can result in degraded deceleration performance, increased landing distance, and runway excursion.”

The notification is for all Boeing 787-8, 787-9, and 787-10 airplanes.

On January 16, 2022, the FAA announced that it had cleared about 45% of the commercial fleet in the US to perform low-visibility landings at many of the airports where 5G C-band will be deployed on January 19, 2022.

The airplane models approved by the FAA included some Boeing 737, 747, 757, 767, MD-10/-11 and Airbus A310, A319, A320, A321, A330 and A350 models. The FAA expects to issue more approvals in the days to come.

https://www.aerotime.aero/29970-faa-issues-airworthiness-boeing-seveneightseven

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soiboy said:

Thanks, Pdoggg!  (How can I tell what vids on YouTube will or won't play in Thailand or other countries?)

I really don't know Soiboy.  But I've noticed that there often seems to be problems with SNL videos. But Fenton's video above played perhaps because it is an old video. No real harm though if only half the guys can see it.

• 4 months later...

Thailand’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAAT) has reported what it describes as a “serious incident” which took place earlier this month.  On May 4, an AirAsia Airbus A320-200 is reported to have landed on the wrong runway at Bangkok’s Don Mueang Airport.

The Thai AirAsia aircraft departed Ranong city at 12:43 and landed on Don Muang’s unassigned 21L runway at 13:36, instead of the 21R runway as intended.

No accidents occurred as a result of the mistake, but Thailand’s CAAT has rated the incident as “serious” following standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organisation. Two pilots have been temporarily suspended in connection with the incident.

Landing on the wrong runway can have fatal consequences, for example the 1979 crash of Western Airlines Flight 2605 which landed on a runway which was closed for maintenance in Mexico City, killing 72 of the 89 people on board and a maintenance worker on the runway.

Thailand’s CAAT has launched an investigation into the incident which should be completed within 30 days.

Don Mueang Airport only has two runways, with a golf course in between them owned by the Royal Thai Air Force, golfers are warned by a red light whenever a plane is about to land.

AirAsia has apologised for the incident and insists it aims to always strictly adhere to relevant safety procedures.

https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/05/woops-air-asia-lands-on-the-wrong-runway-at-don-mueang/

• 2 months later...

British Airways last year suspended flights to Thailand until this October. They have last week announced the flights suspension has been extended until 2023.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/07/20/british-airways-extends-bangkok-suspension-into-2023/

I had thought they would have reinstated flights in October for what used to be 'High Season'. I use BA because I collect Avios and using those I can usually get a LHR-BKK flight for just the cost of the airport taxes which is less than half the cost of an economy ticket.

I prefer Eva Air and they and Thai Airways are still operating flights to Thailand, though Eva Air have temporarily suspended bookings for their flights again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Kayak are predicting prices for direct flights from London Heathrow to Bangkok in January should go down over next four weeks.

Well now... i hope they are better at predicting than the mob who predicted last August that the Baht would go to 50 to the pound by Christmas last year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2022 at 7:48 AM, Quietguy said:

British Airways last year suspended flights to Thailand until this October. They have last week announced the flights suspension has been extended until 2023.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/07/20/british-airways-extends-bangkok-suspension-into-2023/

I had thought they would have reinstated flights in October for what used to be 'High Season'. I use BA because I collect Avios and using those I can usually get a LHR-BKK flight for just the cost of the airport taxes which is less than half the cost of an economy ticket.

I prefer Eva Air and they and Thai Airways are still operating flights to Thailand, though Eva Air have temporarily suspended bookings for their flights again.

About 12 days ago BA said they would be suspending direct flights from London Heathrow to Bangkok until 2023. It had been thought to mean January 2023.

Now they have said they won't be reinstating flights until at least March 2023.

https://www.simpleflying.com/british-airways-defers-bangkok-flights-goes-double-daily-singapore/

Looks like I can't get a cheap flight with my Avios.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2022 at 6:51 AM, Quietguy said:

About 12 days ago BA said they would be suspending direct flights from London Heathrow to Bangkok until 2023. It had been thought to mean January 2023.

Now they have said they won't be reinstating flights until at least March 2023.

https://www.simpleflying.com/british-airways-defers-bangkok-flights-goes-double-daily-singapore/

Looks like I can't get a cheap flight with my Avios.

I havent flown BA for ages. I much prefer EVA when flying from London. BA attendants are mostlyh a bunch of fat, middleaged, entitled cows. Ive had too many bad experiences with them. Never again.

EVA has a direct roundtrip flight from Heathrow right now for about 750 GBP. Not too shabbi. 

Word of advice about Heahtrow, be careful with your baggage. Heathrow baggage handlers are a bunch of dolts. FFS Ive had bags go missed twice from that airport, years ago when i was still flying BA. I dont know where they find the the baggege handers who work there but they are a bunch of planks. the lot of them.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ladypat said:

I havent flown BA for ages. I much prefer EVA when flying from London.

I prefer EVA too, but I collect Avios and a BA economy return flight would only cost around £350 for airport charges & taxes with those. So about half the price of a flight with EVA. I'm not too bothered about the cabin staff as I sleep through most of the flight. I've never yet (fingers crossed) had problems with baggage, I know there are problems now. I only have a small case in hold with five changes of shorts and shirts. Anything expensive or essential is in my cabin baggage. If my hold case gets lost I can buy some clothes in los.

The dates I'm looking at for next January/February are currently £808 economy return booking direct with EVA. I think they will probably come down before November so I'll hold off booking for now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I prefer EVA too, but I collect Avios and a BA economy return flight would only cost around £350 for airport charges & taxes with those. So about half the price of a flight with EVA. I'm not too bothered about the cabin staff as I sleep through most of the flight. I've never yet (fingers crossed) had problems with baggage, I know there are problems now. I only have a small case in hold with five changes of shorts and shirts. Anything expensive or essential is in my cabin baggage. If my hold case gets lost I can buy some clothes in los.

The dates I'm looking at for next January/February are currently £808 economy return booking direct with EVA. I think they will probably come down before November so I'll hold off booking for now.

350 is a great fare. Yes keep your valuables in your carry-on bags. Heathrow baggage handlers suck big brown cocks. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 7/31/2022 at 8:42 AM, Quietguy said:

I was wrong. I should have booked then. Prices continued to rise by £10-20 every week. I booked in October for just under £1000 with Thai Airways. Those flight are now around £1600.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:19 AM, Pdoggg said:

Thai Vietjet has just won the ‘Most Passenger-Friendly Cabin Crew – Thailand 2021’ award by International Finance Magazine, London, reinforcing its core value of ‘Friendly and Fun’ service, emphasizing its solid mission of becoming the ‘Airline of hospitality’.

VietJet-Air-Cabin-Crew.jpeg

vj2.jpeg

vj3.jpeg

I flew with Vietjetair thrice this year. As a travel agent told me " don't try to calculate the price. Unless you book at the last minute or a long time before, you will pay each time between 50 and 55 $".  Vietjetair has become the number one "low cost" airline in Vietnam. The other two are Bamboo and Jetstar Pacific. It seems that Jetstar Pacific is sharply  losing market shares.  

As I flew back from Phú Quốc, I chatted with my neighbour, a Canadian professional Rugby player in Bangkok.  He told me he flew direct from Bangkok to Phú Quốc. Good to know for those who want to use it for visa run for example. 

Flight attendants still wear the same short throusers (or skirts). They have no time to joke or play sexy games however. 

Pilots come either from Vietnam or Foreign countries. Before covid I had chatted with a Vietnamese pilot who had trained at Flight Safety school in Florida. This year, I chatted with a Russian captain, 31 years old. For what I heard in announces there must be British pilots or pilots coming from Hong Kong or Singapore given their accents. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Soju said:

How much are flights from the UK to Thailand normally? I booked a so called "rewards" ticket from Seoul to Bangkok for next month and it cost me 280,000 won (about $220). With the added fuel surtaxes I feel like they bent me over and fucked me hard (not in a good way). :(

Edit: I should have added it cost 50,000 points too.

Round trip Soju?

But you are lucky that you can fly direct from Seoul to Angeles City and land at Clark just 15 minutes from the action and avoid Manila entirely.