Airline News

FatboyUK

The researchers at FAU used a combination of aerosolized smoke and glycerin to simulate a cough with particle sizes around 10-20 microns.

If you prefer Japanese researchers with a human example here is one below - with about the same results. This was posted by the India Times.

There are some possible clues how Thailand may handle tourists - they are rating countries red that do not have COVID-19 under control. They may allow tourists from green countries where COVID 19 is under control without restriction, and ban those from red countries or subject them to testing and quarantine if they test positive on arrival.

much more believable...notice how most of the cloud heads down. BUT then at the end range seems to start rising it seems. Wish they had backed the camera off to catch the full range.  Almost as bad as the virus is the fact that NO ONE KNOWS "anything".  Qualifiers like believe, suspect, unsure, possible... and so on give me the impression that even IF someone KNOWS, cover your ass is in play, they'll waffle to avoid future repercussions.  Not good, especially when you consider, that like HIV it MIGHT NOT be going away.

I'm keen to see the results of test subjects (that's people in areas where their fearless leaders have begun opening things up).

Obviously as the biggest ground zero for stupid (Rainman says it's just the flu)USA citizens are banned entry.  I suppose once economy freezing hurts the wealthy enough they will make their puppets ease up on restrictions, as is happening now in some places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustSumGai said:

Almost as bad as the virus is the fact that NO ONE KNOWS "anything". 

I agree this seems to be the case..I think the Science will start to converge around  Xmas...but now its very confusing

But one things for sure , when i do take off , i aint going nowhere near that middle seat :biggrin:.  Some trains you have to book in advance and only every fourth row can be taken....as my Attorney tells me , where theres blame , there a claim

A Lawyer was on RT last night and he says that this Covid will be a legal health and safety Wild Wild West . A lot of Companies are going to get shot up in this 

to me the bottom line IS that MONEY is as important or MORE important than (poor/old) peoples lives.  Funny, the world did not BLINK when the KR drove a million people from Phnom Penh into the countryside to starve to death or be murdered, again it did  not blink as Hutu's hacked and killed an estimated 800,000 people (in ONE hundred days).  Most of the covid news is on nations that HAVE money or nations that are rising and MAKING money (can you say investors? I knew ya could).  I think it's more possible to suss how things are going looking at markets and following the money than it is to look to science, who lets face it, in their need to KNOW, and have FACTS, and duplicate, test, examine, etc. WILL usually say something like "we don't have enough information yet".   And don't forget the lawyers, because SOMEONE will sue scientists eventually.

A Roadmap for Aviation Industry Restart has been published by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the Airports Council International (ACI) World.

It's a 5 page document that I recommend anyone who will be flying review - and while it isn't binding on countries/airlines or airports, I think it will be used by many countries as there needs to be coordination. You can't have one country/airline/airport doing something completely different from another, or there will be travel disruptions.

This document also clarifies the IATA stance on blocking the middle seat on planes. It doesn't recommend this be done, but understands in the early phase of restarting, some airlines may offer this. They state that social distancing be

Limited to the initial restart phase, as they are incompatible with the restoration and development of air connectivity over-time given their limiting factor on airport capacity and aircraft capacity.

That makes sense as there is no way that airlines can price affordable tickets if middle seats are blocked off long term (until an effective vaccine or treatment is found), and the volumes of passengers cannot be handled by current airport infrastructure if social distancing is maintained long term.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got an e-mail from Thai  today. Last time I wasn't too impressed with them so time to change next trip.

Dear Valued customers,

We would like to inform our valued customers that certain letters, documents, or notifications may be delivered to you via E-mail or SMS in accordance with the business reorganization process of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited consequent to the relevant business reorganization petition filed with and found for by the Central Bankruptcy Court.

During the period where the company undergoes the business reorganization, which plays a significant role to its survival, the company remains resolute to ensure our customers are provided with the best care within its current capability, especially for those whose airfare refunds are pending as well as honor certain benefits for our Royal Orchid Plus members, including membership status and miles being the most important . Please rest assured that the company shall overcome this crisis, albeit great magnitude, and be ‘Airline of Pride’ which offers the best on-flight services for our valued customers once again. Any update and progress will be further communicated to you via various channels.

On this occasion, please allow us to express our gratitude for your kind understanding and patronage through these years. It is our greatest hope to be able to serve you again in the near future.

Best regards, 
Thai Airways International Public Company Limited

9 hours ago, seven said:

Got an e-mail from Thai  today. Last time I wasn't too impressed with them so time to change next trip.

I changed from Thai Airways who I had used for approx 7 years to Qatar Airways thank's to a reccomendation from Dave Duke approx 3 years ago and must say they are a refreshing change and well worth you trying Seven in your next Thai adventure.  :drinks:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigTel said:

I changed from Thai Airways who I had used for approx 7 years to Qatar Airways thank's to a reccomendation from Dave Duke approx 3 years ago and must say they are a refreshing change and well worth you trying Seven in your next Thai adventure.  :drinks:

Thanks, Tel. I have always used Thai and have been a happy customer, but unfortunately they screwed up numerous times last trip. We all make mistakes, thats not the problem, but when I pointed out some things I was met with arrogance and plain rudeness. 

Qatar has been on my mind lately. Thanks for the tip.:drinks:

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, seven said:

Thanks, Tel. I have always used Thai and have been a happy customer, but unfortunately they screwed up numerous times last trip. We all make mistakes, thats not the problem, but when I pointed out some things I was met with arrogance and plain rudeness. 

Qatar has been on my mind lately. Thanks for the tip.:drinks:

That's asian culture for you, its always all about saving face even if you have to lie about it to do so

• Like 1

Just announced today that Qantas dont expect to start International flights until after the New Year!.

It just gets worse. Hope other airlines flying to Aussie don't do the same. This comes after a Gov directive/advice. I wonder what else the gov comes up with?.

The whole economy will just go into a tailspin. Excuse the pun!.

• Like 1

NokScoot is liquidating.  49% was available for 1 Baht.   I should have bought it.  Could have turned it into Gender Bender Airways offering direct flights from U-Tapao to Clark.  Design edgy uniforms, perhaps shorts and suspenders,  for the Flipper Femboy and Thai Twink crew.  

Singapore Airlines, which owns 49 percent of NokScoot, said Friday (26 June) that the board of directors of Thai affiliate NokScoot have passed a resolution to liquidate the company. NokScoot’s shareholders will consider the move at a general meeting to be held in about 14 days. NokScoot, a joint venture between Scoot and Thailand-based airline Nok Air, has been unable to record a full-year profit since its inception in 2014. Much of this was contributed by the difficulties in growing the network, and the intense competitive environment, Singapore Airlines said in a statement.

“Unprecedented challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic have further exacerbated the situation,” the company added. “Consequently, Scoot does not see a path to recovery and sustainable growth for NokScoot. In considering other possible alternatives, Scoot also offered to sell its 49 percent stake in NokScoot to Nok Air for a nominal sum of 1 Thai Baht. This was not taken up. We regrettably had to then make the joint decision to move ahead with the liquidation. Thailand remains an important market for the Singapore Airlines Group. Singapore Airlines, SilkAir and Scoot are committed to continuing to serve customers in Thailand with their existing operations.”

In view of the likelihood of the liquidation of NokScoot, Singapore Airlines will record a total one-off charge of S$123.6 million (US$88.89 million) for the first quarter ending 30 June 2020. This comprises a S$106.9 million charge mainly due to impairment of SIA’s book value of seven Boeing 777-200 aircraft which had been leased to NokScoot, and provisions by Scoot of S$16.7 million to cover its share of liquidation and related costs.

https://asianaviation.com/nokscoot-to-be-liquidated/

• Haha 1

This will give a bit of a idea on what to expect.

Foreign business people who registered for a self-funded isolation package at luxury hotels, known as “alternative state quarantine,” are permitted to fly into the country. Hotels can sell them with upgraded accommodation and private doctor consultations.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/06/29/deserted-as-never-before-virus-knocks-thai-tourism-into-comatose/

• Like 1

so how many of you guys are going all IN for two weeks at a 4500 baht a night hotel, I assume quarantine means you don't leave your hotel/room for 2 weeks.  So add in another 1000 a day for meals and beverages I suppose. They really SHOULD define "quarantine".

• Like 2

Read today that the Thai gov is going ahead with plans to upgrade U-Tapao/Pattaya Airport into a major one. Then have train links to Pattaya and Swampy etc.

The driver seems to be tourism and also the proximity to Rayong and it's commercial activities.