Airline News

FatboyUK

it's bad enough that a flight from east coast USA to Bkk is 30 hours on average, at $800-1000 it's tolerable. I've often thought of a mask as the dry recirculated air plays hell with my sinus and dry sinus is more accepting of nasties like cold or flu. (the fuggin thing is goin thru the air at 600mph, you'd think only a virtual pinhole to let in FRESH air might be possible...hey it worked great on the fly windows of older cars :) ). BUT if you DOUBLE the fare and MAKE passengers wear a mask (will they deny you your non refundable ticket flight if all you have is say a bandana mask? will they mandate it be N95 or whatever is the medical level?) for 30 hours of flying to a place where the minute you touch down every other person you meet is attempting to fleece you in some manner and the government is forever busy changing Imm regs to be as hostile as possible to anyone but the wealthy...well the decision to go to the LoS (land of smirks?) starts to make itself in my book. Luckily I can tolerate Cambodia, (Laos, no, they ROB you at entry. Unless you have $35 in US bills that came off the press last week, plus they price things as if they are a major destination. I can find nicer cheaper places to stay in Bkk for example) might look at Malaysia again and will surely check out VN.

we will see how it all pans out...years back to boost sagging tourism they gave out FREE tourist visa's. Anymore I just do not enjoy being in a place where you might as well keep your wallet out and in hand for the flurry of demands for money (because of course you are rich).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

I've often thought of a mask as the dry recirculated air plays hell with my sinus and dry sinus is more accepting of nasties like cold or flu.

The carbon fiber planes like the 787 or A350 have a higher humidity than other planes. I try to get my flights on one of those when I can but of course not always possible.

• Like 1

Guest Woodie

The boss of Qantas (in Australia), was saying yesterday that initially airfares domestically may be really cheap to get people flying again. It may be a lot of hot air though, especially as the main competitor Virgin is in receivership. Although we are led to believe there are a few potential buyers waiting in the wings. Excuse the pun!. We need another otherwise it will be a massacre!.

Governments in NZ and Australia are having talks about reopening travel between the two countries due to the virus be under control. (sort of).

What happens with International flights is anybody's guess. Could be cheap to stimulate numbers, or could be exe as there will be a lot of people needing to fly and some airlines out of business. Time will tell.

leave it to xyzzy to know humidity ratings on airplane hull materials :D

if I ever get a chance to hit LOS again I'm gonna test my bandana mask idea and hit the bathroom to wash it well, wonder how long breathing thru a damp/wet mask it will take for a big dry spot to develop where the cabin airflow goes. Almost EVERY time I've flown to Asia I've gotten what I originally called Bangkok Lung.  Starts as a dry sinus feeling, into sore throat, then coughing and then coughing up oysters (phlegm chunks). Bronchitis at least, tho a few times it may have evolved into walking pneumonia. ONE time this started and a young doctor checked into the bunk below mine, heard me coughing and gave me a few pills. ONE a day he said, wish I could remember what it was cuz it killed THAT problem dead. Another time i had it on and off for almost 2 months, getting better then stressed, dehydrated, etc and it would sneak back IN. Oddly usually when I went to Cambodia it cleared up.  But on recent trips where I mostly bail straightaway to Udon, it still happens so it's not just Bkk, I figure it's the plane ride.  Usually grab s hold in the first week after touchdown.  It was BAD a couple times, who knows, maybe a cousin to covid. As people are avoiding malls, resto's etc. that are eased up places in some states, they are STILL basically EMPTY. People do not trust the easing of restrictions.  Might help if we had some REAL facts. It's always "we just don't know" for so long I don't believe the government (OF COURSE) OR the medicos at this point. Lotta "cover your ass" methinks. 

When flights resume, first we'll have to see what airlines SURVIVE and second IF people begin flying again as normal or staying away like the malls n such (one report I read on Reuters mentioned a Texas mall as "upscale". Got TOO MANY of those anyways, thin the herd). 

• Like 1

It is not going to be likely airlines will go with an empty middle row - IATA the International Air Transport Association has changed that initial recommendation from social distancing for passengers to having them wear masks and temperature checks - with some airlines proposing a COVID-19 rapid test as part of check in.

The same recommendation of mask wearing goes for cabin crew - with additional wearing of gloves.

Here's the link for that news.

As for the planes - I posted about the 787 before and this also applies to the A350. All planes do have fresh air to circulate in the cabin, but it has to be pressurized, and limited to a certain percentage to be mixed with existing cabin air. IATA also has recommendations for that here

There are some improved things about the 787 Dreamliner that are not obvious. I have flown once on it recently in premium economy. The air is pressurized to a lower altitude than most airliners 6,000 feet, vs 8,000. Cabin humidity can be set up to 15% vs 4% for the older planes. In addition they have added a special gaseous filtration system that removes more odors, particles, bacteria and viruses than then older HEPA only based systems. The air used to pressurize the cabin is no longer "bleed air" from the engines, so is free from possible fuel and oil fumes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

l Almost EVERY time I've flown to Asia I've gotten what I originally called Bangkok Lung.  Starts as a dry sinus feeling, into sore throat, then coughing and then coughing up oysters (phlegm chunks).

Most long haul travelers have similar.... around one in five people are sick after a long haul.. just talk to about anyone and they will tell the same tale

I personally think the middle seat will be blocked off  . the other options i have seen are big plastic shields between passengers,  ..im glad i dont fly economy :biggrin:

It wont stay as it is ( IMO)

Sitting in the middle would be Russian Roulette , that seat would be cheaper anyway i suppose. Even if they test everyone who would book that seat

:blink::blink::blink:

:blink::wacko::blink:

:blink::blink::blink:

22 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

leave it to xyzzy to know humidity ratings on airplane hull materials :D

After spending months in the humidity of Pattaya my goal is to get home without a nose bleed from the dry air. I have allergies so blow my nose a lot which doesn't help. The newer planes make it a bit easier. I live in a dry climate so not much better when I get home. Since I never has a bloody noses earlier in life I was somewhat shocked the first time I made a mess of my shirt flying home.

Here is a Reuters news release about the EU not requiring empty middle seats for airlines to resume flights.

Reuters/Brussels

The European Commission will say on Wednesday that airlines will not have to leave the middle seats empty but the wearing of masks onboard and in airports should be required as travel across the bloc restarts gradually.
The guidance for air travel is part of a wider package of recommendations the Commission is issuing on Wednesday to gradually lift border restrictions and cautiously restart travel stalled by the coronavirus pandemic in order to revive tourism.

I expect that most other countries will follow this as well, since it is part of the IATA recommendations. It would make things economically unfeasible for people to afford tickets with the middle seats blocked off.

8 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

bottom line...if anti virus regulations KILL economies are we all ready to pick up a hoe and learn black smithing?

If that's the case JSG then I will be fine   I have been farming for many years and also did a dual apprenticeship as a Master farrier and general Black smith.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rxpharm said:

Here is a Reuters news release about the EU not requiring empty middle seats for airlines to resume flights.

This news report does not fully answer the middle seat issue and even mentions that the EU is a bit vague on this

The twitter feed below went  viral  and was from a Professor Weiss last week after being forced into a plane where he was told the middle seat was blocked off  but the plane was full and packed to the rafters, he said will probably never fly again.

Lets face it no one is going to climb into a middle seat unless its free . So i cant see anyone making a  booking if they dont have a gap of some kind.

As he was signing out of his last shift at the hospital on Friday night, Weiss says he told a group of physicians that he was actually more nervous about getting on an airplane than walking into a COVID ICU.

I have a Sky Scanner price update running on my previous itinerary. Australia-UK-BKK-Shanghai-BKK-Australia.

Holy crap!. In the last 3 weeks it has gone up like crazy. The Aus to UK has tripled, the UK to BKK has doubled, and the others up about 40-50%.

One of the factors on the UK trip was that I was going to use Singapore, but their hookup with Virgin Australia is now not working. May do in the future if Virgin is bought by another airline or group.

If this is a sign of things to come, I wont be going far. My destinations will change anyway. No UK in there, Just Aus to BKK. The internals in Thailand still seem to be ok for when I plan to go. Would like to do the BKK to Krabi flight but who knows when everything will kick off. Been listening to so called experts today and they are predicting a big fall off in business travel but still ok for holidays. I would have thought it would be the other way around!.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke007 said:

IMG_20200517_071014.jpg

Not that I can afford it anyway, but over 7 times the price for Business over cattle is just not on. By the time I am in the taxi on the way to what will be a sexual union, I have forgotten all about the plane trip!!!!B)

I checked last week, and business class from Dublin to BKK over the Xmas period with Emirates was €4,500. That is almost twice what it would normally be. I reckon a lot more people are now looking at Business Class, people who previously would have never considered paying the extra just for a seat on a plane, now perhaps consider this to be worth it as it could be safer, given the natural distancing.

• Like 2

Blocking out the middle seat makes no difference - this is a video from the Florida Atlantic University how droplets spread from a cough with and without a mask.

They showed a regular surgical mask still having particles come out around the sides - which is why I would recommend an N95 mask while you're on the plane to reduce the chances of you inhaling those particles. Also If you aren't wearing glasses, wrap around safety glasses, sanitizing wipes/hand sanitizers, frequent hand washing and not touching your face all would be good strategies.

I'm sorry but I do not  see this as science from Dinkville U (never heard of that uni and I have friends in Fla.).  Firstly, it appears to ME that a big part of what we are seeing is SMOKE, it wafts and rises like smoke.  No doubt to make things visible in the green light.  I don't believe moisture FLOATS lazily like that.  These guys are just looking for umm...it's an ad basically. Rx, are you feeling ok? :)

interestingly enough JAL is offering 30 hour flights to Bkk from Biloxi for around $700 which is dirt CHEAP.  I would consider booking, but GOD only knows what SHIT Thai regulation robots would put me thru.  Would I have to spend half my 30 days in quarantine somewhere? It's an interesting surprise and hopefully shows the way other airlines might deal with things when flying opens up enough.