Airline News

FatboyUK

3 hours ago, TEXASMAC said:

Finally on the 8th try the form was able to be spent. I don't work that hard at work.

I always use PT Taxi and I always contact him via Email. The form seems to have problems at times. An Email to the gmail address always gets a prompt response for me.

• 2 months later...

Cathay Pacific is the first airline to land an Airbus A350-1000 in Thailand and was congratulated by Airports of Thailand deputy vice president Kanogwan Kasetsin and customer relations director Anussara Mongsup. Cathay Pacific’s A350-1000, the largest variant in the A350 family, carries 334 passengers in all seating categories.  

The aircraft offers unparalleled comfort. Economy Class seats feature a larger, higher-definition personal television and an advanced inflight entertainment system and LED mood lighting, along with enhanced Wi-Fi connectivity.

Cathay Pacific will begin flying the A350-1000 to Washington DC on September 15. The aircraft will also serve Madrid, Tel Aviv, Amsterdam, Manchester and Zurich beginning in the winter.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350003

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

JAKARTA, Indonesia — A Lion Air flight with 189 people on board crashed into the sea moments after taking off from Indonesia's capital early Monday. The airliner said it had lost contact with Flight JT-610 and Indonesia's search and rescue agency posted images of debris it has found from the Boeing 737 Max 8 plane that went down in the waters off West Java. There was no immediate word of any survivors and the aircraft is believed to have sunk after it crashed.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:34 PM, Pdoggg said:

JAKARTA, Indonesia — A Lion Air flight with 189 people on board crashed into the sea moments after taking off from Indonesia's capital early Monday. The airliner said it had lost contact with Flight JT-610 and Indonesia's search and rescue agency posted images of debris it has found from the Boeing 737 Max 8 plane that went down in the waters off West Java. There was no immediate word of any survivors and the aircraft is believed to have sunk after it crashed.

Who is to blame?

Indonesia?

Lion Air?

Boeing?

Pilot was only 31 years old.

Anyone know the relationship between Lion and Thai Lion?

Lion seems to have a bad rep ad does Indo safety.

• 2 weeks later...

The second passenger terminal building at U-Tapao International Airport will be fully opened in February, the airport's director said.

Rear Adm Luachai Sri-iamkul, the director of the airport, said the new terminal has been partially opened for domestic flight passengers and for inbound international flight passengers. He said the airport would have to build more toilets to cope with the high number of passengers and to open bidding for the commercial management of the building so that there would be shops and restaurants for passengers. The director said the outbound immigration police booths and work on some shops has yet to be completed.

Luachai said all the facilities should be ready by February next year. He said the second terminal building, which is about 80 per cent complete, covers 22,000 square metres and can accommodate 3 million passengers a year but with effective management, the building could accommodate up to 5 million passengers a year. Luachai said 2 million passengers used the airport last year and this year the number could rise to 2.5 million.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358145

This aircraft had issues with the air speed indicator on the previous flight.  I know a little about aviation but I do know this is an issue.  I think its pretty safe to say this plane would NOT have even been in service if it were in the US/Europe.  Even if the company would instruct the pilots to take the plane/flight I have a feeling the younger Asian pilots would be bullied into taking an aircraft.  No way that happens in the USA.  Many times, I have seen pilots "refuse" an aircraft due to issues much less concerned than a faulty air speed indicator......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

This aircraft had issues with the air speed indicator on the previous flight.  I know a little about aviation but I do know this is an issue.  I think its pretty safe to say this plane would NOT have even been in service if it were in the US/Europe.  Even if the company would instruct the pilots to take the plane/flight I have a feeling the younger Asian pilots would be bullied into taking an aircraft.  No way that happens in the USA.  Many times, I have seen pilots "refuse" an aircraft due to issues much less concerned than a faulty air speed indicator......

There's more involved than that. Boeing is preparing an advisory that the angle of attack indicator may also be faulty, which is also tied into the stall warning system, combined with a faulty airspeed indicator, may cause the plane's automatic system to push the nose down (which is the usual method to recover from a stall). There are reports that the same plane on an earlier flight had a situation with automatic system pushing down the nose - but the flight crew was able to recover.

Yup, I fully agree with you Arch, in the US or Europe even the most minor problems are deemed serious enough to take a flight out of service until fully repaired. Last year my Emirates flight out of Dublin had a problem with a cargo door, before push back a warning light remained lit in the flight deck saying a door was open. Engineers checked, ensured the door was fully secure and that it was simply a faulty sensor giving a false reading.

Pilot refused to take off until the sensor was replaced, even though he was assured there was no threat to the aircraft. Meant a 3 hour delay, always a bit of downer such delays, but in hindsight I am glad we have such stringent pilots/regulations.

I would fault both Boeing and Lion Air.

Whether there is a design flaw in all Max8's or whether that particular plane was a lemon, Boeing has delivered an inferior product.

Of course given the magnitude of the problem on the previous flight the airplane Lion Air should have been taken out of service until repairs were made and  a test flight completed.

It seems that it would have been very difficult for even a pilot such as Capt Sully to avoid crashing as the proper decision needed to made within 10 seconds of noticing the problem.  But then Capt Sully would never have taken off in this plane.

What is the relationship between Lion Air and Thai Lion Air?

I think I'll pass on flying Thai Lion in the future to save 500 baht!  Not that I really want to fly out of Don Mueang anyway.  

My experience was quite good with Thai Lion as I was on a nice new plane, maybe a Max8.

• 3 months later...

Airbus is giving up on their A380 jumbo jet. 

Airbus is ending the A380 program, pulling the plug on its iconic superjumbo jet that once promised to revolutionize commercial air travel but failed to deliver on outsized expectations.

The European plane maker said Thursday that it will stop delivering A380s in 2021 after Dubai-based airline Emirates slashed its orders for the huge jetliner.
"We have no substantial A380 backlog and hence no basis to sustain production, despite all our sales efforts with other airlines in recent years," Airbus CEO Tom Enders said in a statement.

The A380, the world's largest airliner, first took to the skies 14 years ago. But Airbus' giant bet that airlines would need lots of extra-big planes to fly passengers between major airport hubs didn't pay off as the company had hoped.

The company has delivered 234 of the superjumbos to date, less than a quarter of the 1,200 it predicted it would sell when it first introduced the double-decker aircraft. Its plans were undermined by airlines shifting their interest to lighter, more fuel efficient passenger jets that have reduced the need to ferry passengers between the big hubs.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/14/business/a380-airbus-news-emirates/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

Thai Airways just reduced their economy class checked baggage limit from 30 kilos to 20 kilos effective April 1st.

Bangkok Air has a 20 kilo limit but if you are a member of their frequent flyer program, free to join,  you get an extra 5 kilos, down from 10 extra kilos last year.

Bangkok Air has a reputation for being overpriced on non-competitive routes such as Samui but I've gotten many good deals with them.   

Air Asia has this reputation for being cheap but once you add in all the extras they aren't so cheap anymore and fly out of Don Muang.

I much prefer flying out of Swampy. Bangkok Air has free meals, free seat selection, and a free Lounge with light snacks, coffee, and wifi.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Thai Airways just reduced their economy class checked baggage limit from 30 kilos to 20 kilos effective April 1st.

Bangkok Air has a 20 kilo limit but if you are a member of their frequent flyer program, free to join,  you get an extra 5 kilos, down from 10 extra kilos last year.

Bangkok Air has a reputation for being overpriced on non-competitive routes such as Samui but I've gotten many good deals with them.   

Air Asia has this reputation for being cheap but once you add in all the extras they aren't so cheap anymore and fly out of Don Muang.

I much prefer flying out of Swampy. Bangkok Air has free meals, free seat selection, and a free Lounge with light snacks, coffee, and wifi.

I don't fly Thai but 20k would be a problem as I'm usually right at the US economy limit of 50 pounds. This trip I was actually 51.5 but the nice baggage check-in person at Southwest let it go. They likely allow a few extra pounds anyway? But 25k from BKK Air would be OK for my 50 pounds.

I also prefer BKK Air/Swampy to AirAsia/Don Mueang. Although on my BKK Air flights I've always had to get on a bus to take me to the plane instead of the flight using a gate. Not terrible but a gate would be better. I was once on an ANA 787 flight (Narita to BKK) and they took us to the plane in buses. First time I ever saw a plane that big being loaded from buses.

FWIW BKK Air charges more for a one way ticket than they do for the same flight if purchased as a round trip/return. Plus the first price you see at BKK Air is not what it costs after everything is added in. I picked a random date and the results are below. 

BKK1.jpg

BKK2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

AirAsia has now apologised following an advertising campaign using the phrase “Get off in Thailand” was posted around the city of Brisbane to promote the airline’s direct route to Bangkok.

Collective Shout, a campaign movement against the objectification of women says the marketing gaff promoted sex tourism in Thailand.

getoff.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A THIRTY-one stone tourist who forced flight crew to wipe his bum as he moaned with pleasure has died in a seedy Thai resort famed for prostitution.

The American, who hasn't been named, died last month while on a lengthy trip on Ko Samui due to an undisclosed illness.

Airline EVA Air discovered he had passed away as they put plans in motion to ban the traveller from flying with them again.

He sent shockwaves across the world when he was accused of forcing cabin crew to strip him in a cramped loo and wipe his bum while he moaned with pleasure.

The disgusting incident allegedly occurred on an EVA Air long-haul flight from Los Angeles to Taiwan’s Taoyuan Airport.

A stunned flight attendant told how the hulking passenger boarded the plane on a wheelchair and asked to be given three adjoining seats in economy class due to his size.

'HE STARTED YELLING'
He then demanded to use the plane’s business class lavatory, as he could not fit in the economy-size cubicle.

But while in the toilet, he claimed he had an injury to his right hand that prevented him from undressing so demanded cabin crew strip him down so he could relieve himself.

The attendant said: "I told him we couldn’t help him, but he started yelling.

"He told me to go in there immediately and threatened to relieve himself on the floor.
“As the passenger’s genitals were now exposed, one of my colleagues brought a blanket, which I used to cover his modesty.

MOANED WITH PLEASURE
"But he very angrily slapped my hand away, saying he didn’t want it and only wanted me to remove his underwear so he could use the toilet.”

The tourist then asked crew to wipe his bum for him - leading him to groan as the chief attendant fulfilled his request while wearing three pairs of latex gloves.

The attendant, who was holding onto the passenger to keep him steady, recalled: “He said: ‘Oh, mmm, deeper, deeper,’ and then accused my chief attendant of not properly cleaning his backside, requesting that she do it again.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8895358/us-tourist-flight-attendant-wipe-bum-dies/

On 4/19/2019 at 1:19 AM, Pdoggg said:

A stunned flight attendant told how the hulking passenger boarded the plane on a wheelchair and asked to be given three adjoining seats in economy class due to his size.

I would guess the poor slob that had the seat next to him hoped he got three seats.

There is NO WAY in the world that me or anyone on my crew would have gone anywhere near this slobs ass!!!

As an aside, I have worked at my current company for almost 22 years.  The first 21 plus, I have never had to throw someone off the plane.  In the last 6 months, I have ejected three!!!  Its a sign of the fucking times!!!!!!

• Like 1