Airline News

FatboyUK

A United Airlines flight attendant intentionally deployed an emergency slide after the aircraft arrived at Houston's airport in Texas, the airline says.

Flight 1246 - carrying 159 passengers and six crew - had just taxied to its gate at Bush Intercontinental Airport when the flight attendant deployed the chute, ABC reports.

Mashable reported the flight attendant opened the plane's front door, deployed the emergency slide, slid out and walked away.

The plane was taken out of service, inspected, and returned to service, while the attendant was removed from flying duty, according to United.

I heard rumors about this.  Now here is the confirmation.  From the number of customers it sounds like a 737 and it was probably a Continental F/A-the crews are still not integrated 5 years after the announced merge FFS but thats another story!!!  The ex Cons work some horrible duty days with little or no rest and they abuse their reserves.  Maybe it was a junior reserve who was going to quit and had had enough!!!!

You can??  This was in the USA.  I wonder why they didnt have an aircraft.  If the delay were that long, I am a bit suprised that the crew did not "run out of time".  

I didnt watch the videos but if you rant and rave and use profanity in this day and age, you might not travel.

I tell you my tolerance for misbehavior/loutish behavior is next to nil.  DONT let a problem get on the airplane be it a drunk, be it a perve, be it a raving, angry passenger.

Maybe the guy had a beef I dont know but let me tell you the people manning the gate are peons, the crew are peons.  You like to think yourself as a "man of the people" thats exactly to whom you are dishing out major grief....

I just flew American R/T from Seattle to JFK (NYC) 2 weeks ago and had to be one of the worst airline experiences of my life.

Paid for First Class but the seats were only marginally better than the worst Economy seat I've sat in recently. Connection through Phoenix on the way home and they changed the flight so I only had a 25 minute window between the scheduled arrival and next departure. Luggage didn't make it on the flight, I only barely did. The First Class cabin had 4 customers and about 12 empty seats, cabin crew said most of the customers missed the flight. Food sucked. No personal entertainment - each flight had one of those fu**ing 1980's shared screen at the front of the cabin for the entire First Class section. My First Class ticket did NOT allow me entrance to the American Airlines "Admirals Club" lounges. 

I'll never voluntarily fly AA again, even though I have a buttload of miles. I'll use them for their partner airlines only.

Flying Seattle to LAX to Fiji, then Fiji to Sydney, then Sydney to HKG to LAX to Seattle in 2 weeks. Cannot wait. The trip home from Sydney is all first class via Cathay Pacific. Ah, that's a REAL airline for you.

• 3 weeks later...

My First Class ticket did NOT allow me entrance to the American Airlines "Admirals Club" lounges. 

I'll never voluntarily fly AA again, even though I have a buttload of miles. I'll use them for their partner airlines only.

During my working days I finagled a way to become "Lifetime Gold" on AA's FF program mainly so I could use the Business class lounges on international flights, really helped on the transpacific trips. Recently the fookers dropped that advantage from the program, wtf...  It was the main attraction of the program for me, oh well, back with the hoi polloi at the gates.   :mad0245:

• 2 weeks later...

AirAsia To Launch Bangkok-Vientiane Route On July 1

Published 14th May 2016 

AirAsia To Launch Bangkok-Vientiane Route On July 1

Thai AirAsia are set to launch a daily service between Bangkok and the Laos capital Vientiane on 1st July.

The announcement comes shortly after a policy change on low cost carriers by Laotian authorities in a bid to boost tourism in the country and becomes Air Asia’s second route across the border in as many months following the launch of the Bangkok-Luang Prabang route in late March.

Fares from Don Mueang to Vientiane start from 990 baht one-way minus taxes and all the usual add-ons and are now available to purchase through the Air Asia website.

• Upvote 1

Is PC Air still flying?

PC-Air-ladyboy-trabbnssex-007.jpg

Her eyelashes, and her stockinged legs, are long enough to warrant a double-take from passengers on board. It may seem a form of harassment to others, but Thai flight attendant Punthakarn Sringern, 25, relishes the attention.

Sringern – or Mew, as she likes to be called – is one of four "ladyboys" working for PC Air, the first Thai airline to employ transgender people.

Finding work beyond the entertainment and cosmetic sectors is difficult for Thailand's "third sex", who are said to be more numerous here than anywhere else in the world – so this job, says Mew, is "a dream come true".

PC Air is so named because its founder and president is Peter Chan – the title does not allude to political correctness. Chan, a property developer, began PC Air last year and immediately confronted what he calls a "question of human rights" in this generally open-minded but still socially conservative nation of 69 million.

"Ladyboys in Thailand don't have good jobs," Chan said from PC Air's 34th-floor Bangkok HQ, where crystalline chandeliers and white bearskin rugs distract from the sprawling view of the city below.

"They work as dancers or entertainers or in shops, because society doesn't accept them in other jobs."

Emblazoned across each PC Air jet is the company motto –"I believe it's my way".

Chan hopes Thailand, and the world, will eventually accept transgender people – known here as kathoey – in everyday life. "This is the ladyboys' dream," he said. "Everybody has to have it [their way], it's a human right."

His airline, which also employs a female-to-male transgender pilot, first flew in December – from Bangkok to Vientiane in Laos. It plans to fly to Hong Kong, China, Japan and South Korea from early next month.

Chan, who worked for Thai Airways before making money in the housing market, plans to develop the company's inclusive hiring policy further by employing people with disabilities and those aged over 60 in the airline's office. The ambitions of PC Air's kathoey, on the other hand, are a bit more personal.

"We hope this job will change [Thai] politics, that this is the first of other opportunities," said Chayathisa Nakmai, 24, who had gender realignment surgery after leaving school and always hoped to become a flight attendant.

"It's our dream to get married one day," added 26-year-old Nathatai Sukkaset, referring to government rules that say kathoey cannot change their gender on any official identity forms.

These stipulations have made other airlines wary of following PC Air's lead. Under Thai law, kathoey must be listed as male on their passports – a requirement that critics say could confound immigration officers in less forward-thinking destinations and disrupt flight operations.

Others in Thailand are uncomfortable with PC Air's open-minded policy for different reasons. One airline veteran, speaking to the Bangkok Post on condition of anonymity, said: "A lot of our passengers, especially conservative Thais with families, may shun flying with us [if we hired ladyboys]."

PC Air's passengers have, to date, been welcoming, say the flight attendants.

"The customers want to take many pictures with us, they ask us to pose with them," said Sukkaset.

"I think they're excited about flying with us," said Mew. "They know they'll meet ladyboys and they like the idea."

The airline has just recruited an additional 30 attendants – but of the five kathoey applicants, only one got a job.

"The other ladyboys' English was good, but their looks no good," said cabin crew manager Natcha Mitsumoto. "You still have to look like a lady to work here."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jan/17/pc-air-transgender-flight-attendants

2 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

The airline was founded by Khun Peter Chan ("P.C.") in 2010. In January 2012, the PC Air's sole aircraft was impounded at South Korea'sIncheon International Airport, leaving its passengers without alternative transport.[3] The airline sued its Korean sales agent, Skyjet, and oil company Jae Sin for 1.5 billion baht in compensation for damage to its reputation.[4] Despite attempts to find an investor, the airline ceased operations entirely in the same year after this incident.[5]

As of November 2012, the P.C. Air fleet consisted of the following aircraft:[5]

pc air.jpg

• Upvote 1

Edinburgh to Bangkok Return 31/10 to 13/11 for only £280.00 with Qatar   

OUTBOUND.png
QR.png
Qatar Airways

Edinburgh Airport, UK (EDI)Sun 30 Oct 2016Depart 15:45

Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thailand (BKK)Mon 31 Oct 2016Arrive 18:50

Duration:20hrs 05mins

No. of Stops: 1Quick View 

INBOUND.png
QR.png
Qatar Airways

Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thailand (BKK)Sun 13 Nov 2016Depart 19:25

Edinburgh Airport, UK (EDI)Mon 14 Nov 2016Arrive 05:50

Duration:17hrs 25mins

No. of Stops: 1Quick View 

• Upvote 1

UAL has (open jaw) flights on many dates Sept-Dec from several US gateway cities USA-BKK & return KUL-USA for under $500 US all in. LAX was $435 last I checked. Best price I've seen in years, one could take a LCC from BKK to KL or a leisurely land trip too for the return flight, it was very tempting but doesn't work for me unfortunately...  

Found on momondo.com

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hefe said:

UAL has (open jaw) flights on many dates Sept-Dec from several US gateway cities USA-BKK & return KUL-USA for under $500 US all in. LAX was $435 last I checked. Best price I've seen in years, one could take a LCC from BKK to KL or a leisurely land trip too for the return flight, it was very tempting but doesn't work for me unfortunately...  

I've been hearing the same thing and it's not just United.  But the great prices tend to be from hubs.  Not all carriers fly to Bangkok so as Hefe points out there are good prices to KL and other Asian Cities.  Nice thing about KL is that u can often get cheap flights on Air Asia (KL is their hub) to Surathani if you are going to Samui.   Btw, I know a cheap airport hotel, just a few minutes on the airport train in KL, but some of you might want to check out KL proper if you've never been there.  KL is not really my cup of tea but I did stay downtown for a few nights. You can avoid traffic by taking teh airport train the Sentral Station and then hopping a taxi or their elevated lines within the city.

Both Skyscanner and Airfare Watchdog are good places to start an airfare search.  You get an idea of which airlines offer good prices and then maybe you can get a better price by going to the airline's website.

Guys, if you are doing airfare searches on Skyscanner or Airfare Watchdog we would really appreciate it if you use the links on our sister site, Asia Hotel and Travel.  We get a few pennies if you use these site whether you buy or not and the forum does have operating expenses. 

Skysanner

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/forum/24-direct-travel-links/

Airfare Watchdog

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/406-airfare-watchdog/

I posted something about these flights on another forum. It was LAX-NRT-BKK then KUL-NRT-LAX. A possible problem is the KUL flight leaves at 7 AM. I don't see any reasonably priced flights from BKK-KUL that don't arrive about midnight or before. So that means one has a seven hour layover in KUL at night. If you have a reason to go to KUL or don't mind a seven hour layover when the airport shops will mostly likely be closed then you can get all in for around $510.  

The LCCs BKK-KUL are around $50. But by the time you add a 20kg checked bag (and maybe a seat with decent legroom) it will be around US$70-75. Still cheap if one is willing to put up with the hassle or wants to have a day or two in KUL.

10 hours ago, Billy69 said:

This is perhaps the best deal I've ever seen from the UK.   :yahoo:

Hey Guys, if you are using th Qatar website we would sure appreciate it if you access Qatar by way of our sister site, Asia Hotel And Travel.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/390-qatar/

The flights are the same cost to you, but we earn a small commission which helps defray the operating costs of the forum.

Thanks!  :hi:

9 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

This is perhaps the best deal I've ever seen from the UK.   :yahoo:

Hey Guys, if you are using th Qatar website we would sure appreciate it if you access Qatar by way of our sister site, Asia Hotel And Travel.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/390-qatar/

The flights are the same cost to you, but we earn a small commission which helps defray the operating costs of the forum.

Thanks!  :hi:

As you know Pd....most of the time this deals are come up  at Skyscaner....Some how Qatar's own website this flight is lot more money...I don't know how this guys do it so cheap ...I been using Travel Trolley for a while now n i know they are good...