Airline News

FatboyUK

"I went to the back of the plane once they allowed us to get up and the flight attendant was icing her face and I asked her what happened. She said that the passenger was being obnoxious and had hit another passenger, and she asked her to come to the back of the plane so that she could talk with her, and while she was talking with her, the woman grabbed the flight attendant by the face, she kissed her and then she punched her in the face."

http://youtu.be/g2gINZNmAfo

Perhaps after paying too much money for her ticket, being charged to check a bag, given a middle seat 15 inches wide with no recline,  and offered no food unless she paid dearly via credit card for a shitty sandwich, she lost it. On top of which she might have been squeezed between two smelly fat people. Jammed airplanes make people crazy. It's insane when you think about it. 

Perhaps after paying too much money for her ticket, being charged to check a bag, given a middle seat 15 inches wide with no recline,  and offered no food unless she paid dearly via credit card for a shitty sandwich, she lost it. On top of which she might have been squeezed between two smelly fat people. Jammed airplanes make people crazy. It's insane when you think about it. 

Most of these incidents involve alcohol.  What, is flying a right now???  I am the last person to defend airline management since I have been screwed by it so often.  Its too expensive??  Take a fucking bus.  Drive.  Take the train.

Dont want to pay for a shitty sandwich??  Prepare, take something from home that you might like or buy something at the airport.  Oh yeah I am certain you wont get ripped off by food vendors at the airport.........

What about all the other people, those who could control themselves, that she inconvenienced by delaying them.  She caused enough of a ruckus for the crew to divert the aircraft.  Have a look at her behavior when being taken off by the police.  Bet booze was involved.  Whose fault is that??

By the way, who was complaining when fares were DIRT cheap for about 8 years right after Sept 11, 2001 and planes were not full??

I know flying can be a poor to miserable experience but this miscreant struck two people and forcefully kissed another.  I know it might sound like an ordinary night in Soi Buhkao but what would happen if you did this in your local Applebees????

One problem is that prosecutors dont want to deal with these knuckleheads and fuck all happen to them.

Mr. Bunker,

I certainly wasn't defending her actions whatsoever. I get it. She's a tit and undoubtedly drunk or soberly unbalanced. I just took the opportunity to express there is a serious discontent with the air travel business generally which I am sure you are acutely aware and can see both sides objectively. I know the airlines need to make a profit but at some point I think people simply burst due to the expense/stress of the overall flying experience of the 21st century. It will come to a head for sure and we will see the pendulum swing in the other direction eventually not unlike the days when Federal Express was born. Safety is key for sure, but service is also when it comes to anything the public buys. I for one would not want to be the CEO of any airline today. It's a nightmare for the time being until the industry realizes it is not sustainable until it appeals to its core clientele once again, which is not the rich elite but the common guy. And the common guy today feels increasingly abused.  

Just so you know I fly over 100K miles a year and usually in first or business class. I am not griping on my behalf. I am treated royally.  When I gripe it is about the people I see behind me in long lineups and being nickeled and dimed for everything attached to the privilege of flying.

But like you said. The alternative is the bus and I doubt many of us have much tolerance for that any more.  :biggrin:

Mr. Bunker,

I certainly wasn't defending her actions whatsoever. I get it. She's a tit and undoubtedly drunk or soberly unbalanced. I just took the opportunity to express there is a serious discontent with the air travel business generally which I am sure you are acutely aware and can see both sides objectively. I know the airlines need to make a profit but at some point I think people simply burst due to the expense/stress of the overall flying experience of the 21st century. It will come to a head for sure and we will see the pendulum swing in the other direction eventually not unlike the days when Federal Express was born. Safety is key for sure, but service is also when it comes to anything the public buys. I for one would not want to be the CEO of any airline today. It's a nightmare for the time being until the industry realizes it is not sustainable until it appeals to its core clientele once again, which is not the rich elite but the common guy. And the common guy today feels increasingly abused.  

Just so you know I fly over 100K miles a year and usually in first or business class. I am not griping on my behalf. I am treated royally.  When I gripe it is about the people I see behind me in long lineups and being nickeled and dimed for everything attached to the privilege of flying.

But like you said. The alternative is the bus and I doubt many of us have much tolerance for that any more.  :biggrin:

It did sound to me as if you were trying to explain away her jackassery.  Sorry if I overreacted.  With consolidation, demand is still strong and costs have dropped markedly due to the drop in the price of jet fuel.  I hear people ask why dont the airlines just raise the price of the ticket so the flying public isnt nickleled and dimed to death.  Well, the vast majority of fliers are extremely price sensitive.  Southwest loves to advertise that it doesnt charge for bags.  My question is why doesnt everyone fly them then???

I really know flying can be miserable if you arent in front.  But at the end of the day flying is the most efficient, not to mention by far the safest, mode of transport there is.  Thats true especially over long distances.

I would say 98% of the flying public are fine and great and "get it".  That 2% can cause disruption and can make front line employees lives miserable on a given day.  If you have a plane filled with 200 customers thats still 4 problem people. I tell you the vast majority of these cases where these people act like idiots involve alcohol.  If I am working a flight and get wind of folks who have really imbibed in waaaaay too many, I do what I can to ensure they dont fly on my flight.  It doesnt happen often but it does happen.  You just hope you have a supportive Captain.  In these situations, I would say 99% of the time you talk about the situation and you get the necessary support and, in the end, the issue is addressed.

If there are EVER any issues during boarding, they get sorted out when the jetbridge is still connected to the aircraft.

Good to hear Arch. I know everyone in your business is doing their best under extraordinary times and circumstances with the airline industry. Alcohol is indeed a major problem (I've seen it much too often). Because of this I often times choose to fly Egyptian Airlines just to avoid this silliness. They don't serve booze. Such a relief, pleasure and certainly no sweat off my ass. I remember a Thai fight from Oslo to Bangkok (in first class) where I had to deal with a drunk nut-bar trying to open the door numerous times at 32,000ft. He was so drunk. When we landed I thanked God. Goodness it was scary. 

Anyway, take care, stay and fly safe.  :biggrin:

All the best.

Southwest loves to advertise that it doesnt charge for bags.  My question is why doesnt everyone fly them then???

I have mostly switched my domestic travel to Southwest after three times on United when I ended up not using a ticket because it cost more to change the ticket than the original ticket cost. SW at least charges no change fee. But my home airport is a United hub so SW has about half as many direct flights to the west coast where I usually go to catch SE Asia flights. United has more flight possibilities but I do try to go SW when possible. I have credit cards from both airlines so it cost me nothing to check one bag on United. So that eliminates some of the SW advantage. But getting a SW credit card got me many free trips to the west coast.

SW does have one fee they get me with. For US$12.50 you can get an early boarding number in their open seating and don't have to try and get a good boarding position by being on the web site 24 hours before flight time. Maybe not necessary but I've had good luck ending up in an exit row.

I have mostly switched my domestic travel to Southwest after three times on United when I ended up not using a ticket because it cost more to change the ticket than the original ticket cost. SW at least charges no change fee. But my home airport is a United hub so SW has about half as many direct flights to the west coast where I usually go to catch SE Asia flights. United has more flight possibilities but I do try to go SW when possible. I have credit cards from both airlines so it cost me nothing to check one bag on United. So that eliminates some of the SW advantage. But getting a SW credit card got me many free trips to the west coast.

SW does have one fee they get me with. For US$12.50 you can get an early boarding number in their open seating and don't have to try and get a good boarding position by being on the web site 24 hours before flight time. Maybe not necessary but I've had good luck ending up in an exit row.

One word for everyone:  

Alaska

P.S. - happy belated birthday Xyzzy

One word for everyone:  

Alaska

P.S. - happy belated birthday Xyzzy

I knew you were going to post Alaska when I saw you posted a reply. I would agree except from my home airport I would have to go to SFO/LAX via Seattle. It often costs more to do so and then there is the extra time. A perk of having SEA as a home airport I guess. 

Thanks and you can be the last to say so as I've decide to no longer have birthdays...

• 1 month later...

BREAKING NEWS

All 224 people aboard a Russian airliner that crashed in Egypt have been confirmed dead

Saturday, October 31, 2015 9:08 AM EDT

All 224 people aboard a Russian airliner that crashed in Egypt early Saturday have been confirmed dead, officials say.

An Egyptian cabinet statement on Saturday morning said that military aircraft had spotted the wreckage of the Airbus plane in a mountainous area in Sinai. The Russian Embassy in Cairo said in a tweet that all on board the plane had been killed.

• 3 weeks later...

BANGKOK — Beginning in December, air travelers will need to pay another 35 baht when traveling through Thailand’s six major airports to pay for upgraded security systems.

Six months after an alarming security lapse exposed outdated systems at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the company managing them today announced its new passenger processing system will speed the immigration process and comply with international standards. Even more conveniently, passengers will be informed at check-in whether they are blacklisted by their destination countries.

“When the passenger check-in at the counter, the system will verify with the immigration database,” Nitinai Sirismatthakarn of Airports of Thailand said Wednesday in Dailynews. “The system will immediately respond back that the passenger is not allowed to leave or enter the country if they are on a blacklist.

The 35 baht per flight fee will be rolled into ticket prices. The system goes live next month at Airports of Thailand’s six facilities: Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai and Chiang Rai. The company said the system will eventually be introduced at the other 32 airports nationwide.

It comes as international aviation officials have called into question the safety standards of Thai air travel, and six months after a former police official apparently flew from Suvarnabhumi to Tokyo with a gun in his bag.

Some objected to passing the fee on to passengers, saying the airport operator should foot the bill for safety.

Nitinai said the 6 major airports have also tightened their security system since the terrorist attack in Paris.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447928511&typecate=06&section=

• 2 weeks later...

WASHINGTON — Civil aviation officials in the United States have ruled Thailand does not comply with international safety standards.

Following warnings earlier this year and inspections last month, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration this evening announced it had demoted Thailand to "Category 2," which will prevent Thai airlines from adding any new services in the United States.

Category 2 is assigned to nations which "lacks laws or regulations necessary to oversee air carriers in accordance with minimum international standards" or is "deficient in one or more areas, such as technical expertise, trained personnel, record-keeping, or inspection procedures," according to an FAA announcement.

Thai airlines can continue operating existing services in the United States.

No immediate response was available from Thai aviation officials to the announcement, which indicated talks between both nations had concluded Oct. 28.

In July, Transportation Minister Prajin Juntong said Thailand had been faulted for a lack of qualified inspectors, operational staff and incomplete documentation. At the time, he vowed the Department of Civil Aviation would address the issues and hire more experts to fix the problems.

Thailand was first assigned a Category 2 rating in 1996, but since 1997 had maintained a Category 1 rating, the FAA statement said, indicating a reassessment in July found Thailand was out of compliance with the standards of the International Civil Aviation Organization.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1448977331&typecate=06&section=

WASHINGTON — Civil aviation officials in the United States have ruled Thailand does not comply with international safety standards.

Following warnings earlier this year and inspections last month, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration this evening announced it had demoted Thailand to "Category 2," which will prevent Thai airlines from adding any new services in the United States.

Much to my surprise I found out a few days ago that Thai Air no longer flies to the US. So it won't affect much at the moment.

It's scary when a major airline like THAI AIRWAYS, a partner and founding member in the Star Alliance fraternity falls to this level. I am flying with them from Denmark to Bangkok later this month. I also return with them.

it is the Thailand civil authority being downgraded, not the airline.

That means that the authority work is not up to the standard. Mainly paperworks, but this can mean insufficient control of their own airlines.

If you have planes maintained and overhauled by a company certified by another country (not downgraded by the FAA) it means the work of the Thai civil authority is not influential.

Much to my surprise I found out a few days ago that Thai Air no longer flies to the US. So it won't affect much at the moment.

They cut out South Africa/Johannesburg from their routes last year.  I'm based in Australia and use Thai Air a lot.  They offer a free stopover so when I have business in Europe I would fly to BKK and stop over on the way there and on the way back.  I used to use them to travel to S.Africa and the the U.S. soemtimes. Now I will be forced to use United for the U.S routing and Singapore Air for South Africa.

That stopover break's up the long haul trip nicely.  If flying just to Thailand still get the free stop over, so I can go to Phuket or Chiang Mai with an extra charge.  

There service has slipped in recent years in my opinion.  When they cut out routes, I think they cut out staff, so it seems like the younger friendlier stewardesses are gone and only the longer tenured one's work those flights I'm on.  

As I understand it Thai's European maintenance facility(s) are European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) approved. So they should have no problem in EU. Not sure what they think about the US since they no longer fly there. Would you want to fly on a plane serviced in Thailand? :biggrin:

On Christmas day I am flying CPH to IST to KTM onward to BKK with both Turkish Airlines and Thai Airways. I am nervous as hell since our flight paths cross those crazy "lets shoot down an airplane" countries in the middle east. I have a weird feeling about this trip like none other ever felt. Perhaps simple paranoia given the current global nuttiness. Nonetheless I have the heebie jeebies. God speed and fingers crossed. 

On Christmas day I am flying CPH to IST to KTM onward to BKK with both Turkish Airlines and Thai Airways. I am nervous as hell since our flight paths cross those crazy "lets shoot down an airplane" countries in the middle east. I have a weird feeling about this trip like none other ever felt. Perhaps simple paranoia given the current global nuttiness. Nonetheless I have the heebie jeebies. God speed and fingers crossed. 

Had a hankering for some Doner Kebab at 20,000 feet Sam? Otherwise not sure what would spur such an, um.... "exotic" itinerary. 

Are you also traveling part of the way on a donkey or in a barrel? That would really make this interesting!