Airline News

FatboyUK

This reminds me the joke of a lady at the checkp-in when she was asked whether she preferred aisle or window.

She promptly replied: no window! I have just been at the hairdresser!

I was on a trans-Australian flight (that's one that flies from one side to the other, not one full of cross dressers) late at night when a lady sitting behind me passed a note asking me to close my window because it was blowing in her face. I stood up & shut off the air nozzle above her head that was fully open blowing straight at her. 

I never spoke to her, she was hiding her face when she realised how silly she was. I had no desire to make her feel worse but I do regret throwing away the note. I had several people dismiss my story as fanciful. 

As if I haven't better things to do than invent stories about dumb passengers. If I needed to do that I would have said it was a trans-American flight.....          8P              (apologies to Kahuna)

• 4 weeks later...

Flight OX682 was carrying Chinese tourists home from Phuket when the engine failed, and the rate of descent was so fast many passengers suffered from nosebleeds and fainted due to the sudden loss of altitude.

Some flight attendants reportedly began crying and oxygen masks were deployed, before the flight was stabilised and forced to make an emergency landing in Kunming, China.

Passenger Lixue Ku, 47, told the Daily Mail people were screaming and crying as they feared the plane would break apart in the sky or crash.

"I kept thinking about that plane crash in France, and I was convinced we were going to go the same way, but then the plane evened out," he said. "Everyone was in shock, even the staff."

After the emergency landing in Kunming province, the passengers were transferred to another flight to Chengdu while others received medical attention.

China Daily also reported the compensation has not been discussed.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/flight-from-phuket-suffers-engine-failure-51659.php

• 1 month later...

Kan Air starting flights from Pattaya (U-Tapao) to Hua Hin

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2015/05/kan-air-adds-routes-2/

http://www.kanairlines.com/web/

Nice find Xyzzy!  :party0011:

For guys going from Pattaya to Surathani/Samui/Ko Phangan it might be preferable to the high price of Bangkok Air out of Swampy or the inconvenience of DMK.

The planes don't look quite as solid as Air Asia's jets though.

post-7348-0-05896800-1432166182_thumb.jp

Stuck in the middle? Use these tips on locating the best economy seats

nice article but I have an improvement on this.

Middle seats always suck

You should never voluntarily choose this seat unless you’re flying with friends and family (even then, stick another poor unfortunate soul from your entourage in this seat).

I like an aisle seat but if I am flying with the teerak I would choose the aisle and window seat.  

There is a much better chance that a middle seat will remain vacant than a window seat.

If a guy shows up in the middle seat, there won't be any problem trading the window for the middle.

Unless it's important that you deplane a few minutes earlier than others, choose the back of the plane.

“Front seats are always chosen first, so look more toward the back, closer to takeoff, for empty rows.” The reason being that, unless it’s a full flight, you may end up with more room.

Nice find Xyzzy!  :party0011:

For guys going from Pattaya to Surathani/Samui/Ko Phangan it might be preferable to the high price of Bangkok Air out of Swampy or the inconvenience of DMK.

The planes don't look quite as solid as Air Asia's jets though.

attachicon.gifinside-no-36.jpg

Thats a wrong photo...

The airline will use a 66-seat ATR72-500 to serve all three destinations...sama same Nok air..

post-103-0-96961100-1432191253_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there is Bell Bus or similar service to Patts, I'd rather fly into Swampy.

CHONBURI, 4 June 2015 - The Royal Thai Navy and the Ministry of Transport have signed a collaboration agreement to develop U-Tapao Airport into the third commercial airport serving the capital city.

Minister of Transport Prajin Juntong and Navy Commander-in-Chief Kraisorn Chansuvanich on Wednesday signed an agreement on the development of U-Tapao Airport, in preparation for increased air transport activities in the future.

Full commercial service is expected to be available at U-Tapao Airport by 2017.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/agreement-signed-over-development-of-u-tapao-airport-as-3rd-airport-serving-bangkok-47701

Unless there is Bell Bus or similar service to Patts, I'd rather fly into Swampy.

I'm sure Bell Travel Service would set up a bus (or minibus) service once it becomes viable. I prefer them over any other option to get me to and from Bangkok Int'l Airport.

I flew into U-Tapao once on a 747 during the Suvarnabhumi take-over 7 years ago, then shared a taxi into Pattaya central with a fellow traveler I met inside the arrivals hall.  Best and speediest journey I've ever made into the Land of Smiles and that included baggage collection and customs as there was literally no-one there. It looked horrendous for those departing passengers though due to the sheer numbers, the feeder road to the airport was gridlocked for at least a kilometer. We had to walk 4 or 500 metres away from the airport to meet the ride as he couldn't get any closer.  The plane was virtually empty all the way in, intended more for getting people out rather than in, at the time.

Good call IMO.  Makes me think more highly of Nok Air.

Heavy downpours and strong winds in Ranong Monday morning prompted Nok Air Flight DD7312 with 47 passengers to return to Don Mueang.The flight was scheduled to land at the Ranong Airport at 10:54 am but the poor visibility forced the pilot to return to Bangkok after he learned that Surat Thani and Phuket also had heavy rains.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Nok-Air-flight-to-Ranong-forced-by-heavy-rains-to--30262334.html

LaGuardia gets a makeover.  Mayor LaGuardia used to read the funny papers to kids on the radio.

NEW YORK, NY - Most international travelers would never have used New York’s La Guardia Airport, named after a former charismatic Mayor (Kennedy was once called Idlewild in honour of a local land developer – it was quickly changed to Kennedy (JFK) after the death of the President in 1963). La Guardia started life as a seaplane base and last year moved 27 million passengers, domestically within the USA, and to and from Canada.

Situated in the northern suburb of Queens it is 10 miles from Times Square, it has a reputation as America’s most awful airport. Flushing Meadow for tennis is nearby. One can also route that way to JFK.

After years of bureaucratic to-and-fro, the Port Authority, which operates LaGuardia, as well as Kennedy and Newark airports plus Stewart New Jersey, general aviation base Teterboro and Atlantic City Airport, has now given the go-head for a nearly $4 billion renovation of the airport’s central terminal building.

The finished result will offer flyers a three- rather than two-level terminal, with 35 gates spread across 1.3 million sq ft, up from 835,000sq ft. It will accommodate 17.5m of the 34m passengers La Guardia expects annually by 2030.

http://www.eturbonews.com/60192/america-s-most-awful-airport-get-major-make-over

MELBOURNE, Australia - A passenger allegedly attacked a flight attendant on an Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi to Australia after he was told he wasn't allowed to smoke on the plane.

The incident saw fellow travelers on flight EY460 forced to restrain the man and he was tied to his seat using cable ties until the plane landed in Melbourne.

Etihad has a sale on flights booked by June 30th.  Edinburgh to Bangkok is 432 GBP and there are other good deals as well.  If you are using the Etihad website, please help support LBR by accessing the Etihad website by clicking on our links on Asia Hotel and Travel.  Thanks!   :hi:

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/345-edinburgh-to-bangkok-432-gbp/

The man, believed to be in his 20s, was then arrested by Australian Federal Police man at Tullamarine Airport.

Speaking to the Brisbane Times, a Melbourne woman returning from a holiday in England said: 'There was a lot of screaming, shouting and it was terrifying. There were about six or seven men who held him down and then the crew supplied cable ties to tie him to a seat in the last row.'

The drama happened around seven hours into the 13-hour flight, with the man said to be screaming and shouting as he was restrained in his seat.

The decision was taken by pilot and cabin crew not to make an emergency landing, as they believed the situation to be under control, and safe landing was made by the Boeing 777-300ER some six hours later.

Speaking to MailOnline Travel, a spokesperson for Etihad Airways said: 'We can confirms that a male passenger was physically restrained on board flight EY460 from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne on Wednesday (June 17).

'This was necessary because the passenger had assaulted a crew member and a fellow passenger when told by the cabin crew member that he could not smoke inflight. The male was restrained by cabin crew with the assistance of other passengers.

'With the male passenger restrained and no longer a threat, a decision was by made by the pilot, in consultation with cabin crew and the airline's security team, to continue the flight to Melbourne.

'On arrival, Australian Federal Police officers attended and assisted.

'Etihad Airways apologises to the passengers on board the flight for any distress the incident might have caused. The safety of Etihad Airways' passengers, staff and assets is the airline's number one priority.'

http://www.eturbonews.com/60405/passenger-restrained-strapped-his-seat-after-attacking-flight-at

There are reports that airlines are more closely scrutinizing travelers to Thailand. 

If you don't have a visa they are looking for a return ticket out of Thailand.

Also your passport should have at least 6 months validity left.

Not an issue for most guys but please be aware.

Some flights operated by Poland's national airline, LOT, were grounded on Sunday after hackers attacked its computer system.

The hacking attack targeted computers issuing flight plans at Warsaw's Okecie airport.

More than 1,400 passengers were affected, with 10 flights cancelled and another 12 delayed.

Services were getting back to normal on Sunday evening. The attack is now being investigated by airline authorities.

Flights to Dusseldorf, Hamburg and Copenhagen and Polish cities were affected, although LOT stressed that the glitch did not affect the airport or aeroplanes that were already in the air.

"We're using state-of-the-art computer systems, so this could potentially be a threat to others in the industry," said LOT spokesman Adrian Kubicki.

The source of the hack is not yet known.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33219276

A plane travelling from New York to Kuwait City has landed at Heathrow airport after declaring a state of emergency.

Flight KU118, which departed from JFK airport bound for the Kuwaiti capital, was diverted because of a medical emergency, according to aviation website Air Live.

Reports said six passengers on board were suffering from food poisoning.

Sky's Tom Parmenter explained that because of a terror attack in Kuwait yesterday there was initially "more reason to take note" of the diversion.

A suicide bomber blew himself up during prayers at a Shi'ite mosque in the Kuwait City on Friday, killing 27 people.

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack.

http://news.sky.com/story/1509297/kuwait-bound-plane-in-emergency-uk-landing

A plane travelling from New York to Kuwait City has landed at Heathrow airport after declaring a state of emergency.

Flight KU118, which departed from JFK airport bound for the Kuwaiti capital, was diverted because of a medical emergency, according to aviation website Air Live.

Reports said six passengers on board were board were suffering from food poisoning.

http://news.sky.com/story/1509297/kuwait-bound-plane-in-emergency-uk-landing

Thats why PD Im very thankful that the Pilots have to have a different meal from each other on Flights  B)

Not really, but many fond memories of flying into T1. For myself and Jimslim, it often meant the first part of our journey to LOS was well underway, just a quick walk over to T3, a few hours for some cold refreshments, and we were on the big bird to paradise.

Great days.

Of course, on the way home, sitting in T1 waiting on that flight back to Belfast brought different emotions.

Unfortunately we dont have direct Flights to BKK from Manchester (dont know why), I have done direct from LHR to BKK with BA, Qantas and Thai Airways after flying in from Manchester before, but never again, nothing wrong with the Airlines just a bit of a nightmare in transiting from Terminal to Terminal (it took longer than my Flight from MAN to LHR), 

I dont know if Terminal 1 was involved somewhere on one of these Flights but I have no fond memories of Heathrow in general