Weather

SiamSam

As a younger person I often wondered why my parents and grandparents spoke so much to each other about the weather. It was usually one of the first things they asked about and discussed.

The older I get the more I realize weather has a tremendous bearing on my overall mood and demeanor. With each winter I tend to gripe, bitch and swear more. With each winter I say never again, this is my last one. I look at the temperatures in Thailand and ache with longing.

They say there is only two things wrong with Canada. And that is, January and February. You have to live here to appreciate that.

Today it is minus 28 centigrade for me. With the wind chill factor it is minus 40!!! For you Americans, centigrade and fahrenheit meet at minus 40. So it is fucking numbingly cold. Cars don't start and dogs refuse to leave the house to take a piss. It is baffling why anybody lives in this climate and yet millions do. It is no wonder the suicide rates increase during this time of year. On the other hand the Scandinavians seem to enjoy the long winters, short days, and cold. So what am I missing?

I am curious how weather impacts the overall well-being of others. For example can 12 months of sunshine and 25 + temperatures drive you nuts also? Can rain on the west coast of North America do it to you? What about the northern latitudes with short days, long nights for 6 months? Is there the perfect climate and if so, where?

I am curious how weather impacts the overall well-being of others. For example can 12 months of sunshine and 25 + temperatures drive you nuts also?

I miss the change of seasons. There's a Dutch word, rokjesdag, which translates as "skirt day", which is that first really warm spring day where the girls are showing flesh. In Pattaya everyday is skirt day, so it loses that special appeal.

Would have loved to been part of the blizzard of 2010. Guess I'd feel differently if I had to drive or shovel the snow.

I'm not a big fan of cold weather but do like variety. So it'd be good if there was no such thing as February.