Phuket Red Carding Tourists

A new initiative called the “Red Card” system has been launched in Phuket, Thailand, to crack down on bad behaviour or law-breaking by foreigners. The initiative was announced by Praphansak Prasansuk, a senior Immigration officer, at a press conference attended by a horde of high-ranking officials yesterday.

Under the system, foreign visitors who engage in activities that are deemed inappropriate or illegal will be given a yellow card. They will also be issued with a warning and their embassy will be notified.

“Should they commit a second offence during the same period of stay, their permission to remain in the kingdom will be revoked and they will be deported”, according to a report in The Phuket News.

“If they attempt to visit Thailand on another occasion, they will not be given permission to remain, based on having broken the law during their previous stay.”

The red card system is part of a larger initiative aimed at promoting better behaviour among tourists. At the press conference, officials referred to a rise in bad behaviour among tourists in recent years, with incidents such as dangerous driving, riding a motorbike without a helmet, and not having the correct driving licence on the rise.

https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/phuket-authorities-introduce-red-card-system-for-foreigners-who-break-the-law/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

A new initiative called the “Red Card” system has been launched in Phuket, Thailand, to crack down on bad behaviour or law-breaking by foreigners. The initiative was announced by Praphansak Prasansuk, a senior Immigration officer, at a press conference attended by a horde of high-ranking officials yesterday.

Under the system, foreign visitors who engage in activities that are deemed inappropriate or illegal will be given a yellow card. They will also be issued with a warning and their embassy will be notified.

“Should they commit a second offence during the same period of stay, their permission to remain in the kingdom will be revoked and they will be deported”, according to a report in The Phuket News.

“If they attempt to visit Thailand on another occasion, they will not be given permission to remain, based on having broken the law during their previous stay.”

The red card system is part of a larger initiative aimed at promoting better behaviour among tourists. At the press conference, officials referred to a rise in bad behaviour among tourists in recent years, with incidents such as dangerous driving, riding a motorbike without a helmet, and not having the correct driving licence on the rise.

https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/phuket-authorities-introduce-red-card-system-for-foreigners-who-break-the-law/

So if foreigner behaves in the same manner as a Thai, he gets a colored card.  Sounds like they been watching to much soccer.

• Like 2

I see this initiative as neutral. At the time of "legends" (let's say the end of the last century), Thailand was perceived by farang tourists as a country of great freedom . However, more and more farangs came and a minority pushing too far started spreading disorder. So it became necessary to set the pressure on some people to stop disturbing Thai people and other tourists. Since people from some countries are too much protected by their embassy to be sentenced in Thailand, it may be wiser to use this yellow and red card system before offenses become too serious. Riding a motorbike without being insured or without the ad hoc driver's license may look like a minor offense, but who would be responsible in case of an accident with serious injuries ? 
I could also explain how I was scared by drunk English people in Koh Phi Phi. The island was full of drunk Russian people but they would stay quiet while some British tourists used it to offense other tourists. This system may be a solution to calm down potentially dangerous people. 

Hopefully, they won't use it to struggle stronger against p4p or protect Thai scammers. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

Riding a motorbike without being insured or without the ad hoc driver's license may look like a minor offense, but who would be responsible in case of an accident with serious injuries ? 

Perhaps the motorbike rental shop should be held accountable.  No license; no rental.

If you live in Thailand and own a motorbike it is best to obtain a Thai driver's license.  If you don't spend too much time in Thailand and still want to rent a bike then make sure you have the proper International driver's license.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:17 AM, Soju said:

The baht bus and Bolt are much better options IMO.

Agreed.  At least one LBR member has died in a motorbike accident.

That said I have a bike but rarely take it out of my low traffic neighborhood.

13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Perhaps the motorbike rental shop should be held accountable.  No license; no rental.

If you live in Thailand and own a motorbike it is best to obtain a Thai driver's license.  If you don't spend too much time in Thailand and still want to rent a bike then make sure you have the proper International driver's license.

I don't know about other countries in Europe, but there has been changes in International driver licenses in mine. When I obtained my international driver license, they hadn't stamped themot and motorbike categories in the booklet. They explained me that I had never passed a driver license for these type of driving but I had these categories in my domestic driver license by law. So I am allowed to ride a motorbike in the Schengen Area but not in Asia. If I want my stamps, I need to go to a driving school and get my driver license for these categories. 

I'm not sure a Thai motorbike rental shop would be able to understand all these administrative subtleties country by country. And in the end, the main problem would consist in being protected by an insurance. I don't know if my usual travel insurance would cover me, but I am sure they won't protect me if my driver license is not valid. Thai law could impose rental shops to sell an insurance included in the rental or insurance companies to propose tourists Thai contracts. But the problem would remain the same if the driver is not qualified to ride a motorbike. 

This has nothing to do with bad attitudes (overspeeding, careless driving or taking drugs in Thailand), but renting a motorbike belongs to the freedom we used to have in the past and that is no longer possible due too many tourists. (I have the same kind of problem in Vietnam without yellow or red card). 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

I don't know about other countries in Europe, but there has been changes in International driver licenses in mine. When I obtained my international driver license, they hadn't stamped themot and motorbike categories in the booklet. They explained me that I had never passed a driver license for these type of driving but I had these categories in my domestic driver license by law. So I am allowed to ride a motorbike in the Schengen Area but not in Asia. If I want my stamps, I need to go to a driving school and get my driver license for these categories. 

Same here. Never had a license for motorbike alas it shows in my IDL I am not allowed to drive motorbike. I've driven bikes all my life including Thailand  but I won't be taking any chances in Thailand anymore, as insurance wouldn't be valid should anything happen.

However,if you had your drivers license for car before 1977 you got the bike license included.  Which means that an 80 year old lady can jump on a hog legally. You spot any oldtimer in Thailand riding , he got his license for 'free' with the car license and most likely never rode a bike in the west. Scary.

• Like 1

I think we're slowly drifting off topic. The problem isn't the old ladies driving with old driver licenses but the fact that what could be done in the last century is no longer possible. Tourists wouldn't care but that was not really a problem. Since too many tourists come from all kind of countries, what was nothing became serious troubles and offenses to against Thai nature and other tourists. Therefore, the Thai administration needs to regulate, fine and even ban troublemakers. 

Koh.png.73bfa8681913042ab8df3897187db91d.png

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

The Phuket Immigration revealed to the Thai media that two foreigners received red cards and four foreigners received a yellow card this month, March 2023, so far.

Phuket Immigration reported that there are in total 181 foreigners in the legal process of criminal cases. Most of them are Russian, French, British, Myanmar, and Cambodian. The most criminal cases are in Patong.

Most cases are drunk driving, following by overstaying, illegally entering the kingdom, and working without a work permit.

According to Phuket Immigration the system is indeed like a football game. Red cards in sports mean leaving a sport field but in terms of Immigration it means withdrawing one’s visa and requiring the foreign national to immediately depart Thailand. The length of a ban for entry to Thailand under the red card rule varies based on the severity of the crime.

However, many foreigners don’t know about Thai culture or Thai laws, Phuket Immigration noted. As a result, many foreigners claimed when arrested or told about penalties based on their behavior that they didn’t know the law or rules or claimed that nobody had clearly told them the laws or rules. Many claimed they saw other people do the same type of crime or rule violation and not get penalized and felt they could do so also or asked why others were not penalized and they were.

Phuket Immigration however stated that the only consideration point in these cases was what the individual arrested or in trouble had done and not others. Phuket Immigration also stated it was the responsibility of a visitor to be familiar with laws of the country they were traveling to and not of the country to specifically inform every tourist or foreigner individually of every law and regulation.

Phuket Immigration has set up a measurement tool for the red card and yellow card system. For the first time one did something wrong, they gave them yellow cards for a warning and reported their behavior to consulates. If they did it again, they will receive red cards. Their visa will be withdrawn and will be deported as previously stated.

From March 1st to March 15th, 2023 four foreigners who are two French, a Ukrainian, and a Swedish national have received yellow cards. Two foreigners who are a Swedish and a French national have received red cards and their visas were withdrawn and they were deported.

TPN notes this system is currently only being operated in Phuket as a trial program but if successful may expand to other areas popular with tourists such as Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Koh Samui.

There are still many questions about the card program, however, such as what behaviors and offenses earn yellow cards and which don’t. Those questions were not specifically answered but Phuket Immigration said that if foreigners followed the laws and rules of Thailand they would have no problems.

Phuket Immigration noted that based on the statistics they released vs. the number of tourists that only an extremely small percentage of tourists and foreigners would ever get into trouble deemed suitable for a yellow or red card.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/03/25/phuket-immigration-reveals-more-information-about-yellow-and-red-card-system-for-misbehaving-foreigners/

• Like 1
On 3/26/2023 at 3:01 PM, Pdoggg said:

Most cases are drunk driving, following by overstaying, illegally entering the kingdom, and working without a work permit.

However, many foreigners don’t know about Thai culture or Thai laws, Phuket Immigration noted. As a result, many foreigners claimed when arrested or told about penalties based on their behavior that they didn’t know the law or rules or claimed that nobody had clearly told them the laws or rules. Many claimed they saw other people do the same type of crime or rule violation and not get penalized and felt they could do so also or asked why others were not penalized and they were.

but Phuket Immigration said that if foreigners followed the laws and rules of Thailand they would have no problems.

It appears that they did not violate any special laws based on their cultural background. The rules mentioned above apply to every country universally. As they had already received a yellow card, they were aware of their limitations, and therefore cannot argue against the subsequent red card.

• Like 1

can you imagine if they made hiring a prostitute illegal, the John ban.  Or if vaping gets added to the list as the fine for it is huge considering it's legal most places. The list of things that are illegal but get overlooked daily is long. I suppose only farang are expected to live by Thai law. 

10 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

can you imagine if they made hiring a prostitute illegal, the John ban.  Or if vaping gets added to the list as the fine for it is huge considering it's legal most places. The list of things that are illegal but get overlooked daily is long. I suppose only farang are expected to live by Thai law. 

Spot on.  It's just another form of weaponization, they can literally pull out of there back pocket, as they desire.

On 4/4/2023 at 9:42 AM, Zeppie said:

Spot on.  It's just another form of weaponization, they can literally pull out of there back pocket, as they desire.

and in this post CV era they are ALL trying to make BACK what they consider they should have been making during that time which is just STUPID, but typical capitalist crap.  Seems to ME that if they relaxed things to the pre CV era and LOWERED prices they'd have a MUCH FASTER rebound.  Using tourists as some sort of financial insurance to cover losses is, dare I say it again? STUPID. If they had a third foot they'd be shooting IT too. Underlying all this is the fact that they want to upscale tourism in LOS in a big way, so they will charge ahead with this idea I am sure.  I find this to be in direct opposition to their airport expansion claim that they'll be able to hande 60 million or is it 80 million visitors a YEAR.  IF you manage to cut tourist numbers down by half with the SAME income as the 40 million year, ecology and other things would benefit but NO WAY are they going to cut out the average tourist groups and budget travellers which, let's face it, MADE LOS the premium destination it was.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

and in this post CV era they are ALL trying to make BACK what they consider they should have been making during that time which is just STUPID, but typical capitalist crap.  Seems to ME that if they relaxed things to the pre CV era and LOWERED prices they'd have a MUCH FASTER rebound.  Using tourists as some sort of financial insurance to cover losses is, dare I say it again? STUPID. If they had a third foot they'd be shooting IT too. Underlying all this is the fact that they want to upscale tourism in LOS in a big way, so they will charge ahead with this idea I am sure.  I find this to be in direct opposition to their airport expansion claim that they'll be able to hande 60 million or is it 80 million visitors a YEAR.  IF you manage to cut tourist numbers down by half with the SAME income as the 40 million year, ecology and other things would benefit but NO WAY are they going to cut out the average tourist groups and budget travellers which, let's face it, MADE LOS the premium destination it was.

I don't think capitalist have anything to do with this.  Your talking about greed.  I agree financial penalties, i.e., taxes, fines, regulations, fees, licenses, etc., are punitive in nature.  As you eluded to, cutting penalties increases growth, which in turn brings in more income.  This has been proven over and over again.  But, I will add the following, what man creates, man will destroy, just takes a while.  Let the free market dictate, and at least you're dealing with the laws of nature vs man's laws.

I just meant that capitalism deals sole with numbers giving them an easy OUT on the question of morality, etc.  LOS is playing a theoretical game, which if we are unlucky, may take them 10 or 20 years to amend.  Many of us will be past traveling age or dead by then. 

I will continue to avoid touristy locations like the plague, and do what I always do, hit the outlying areas staying with Thai friends on occasion.  I'm there for the whole package...got too old to do any real mongering. Heat, food, wacky sights, etc.  Oh and lots of hammock time. 

I just wish the bastards would pull their head out of their ass concerning cigars and pipe tobacco as the only available are few and FAR between and I am not setting fire to a $40 cigar.  The two places I found that have pipe tobacco sell it for roughly $15 per pouch, and have VERY few selections. They should let long stayers bring their own stash if Thai's cannot supply it. You ain't gonna find any Gawith and Hogarth Balkan blend in LOS. Half pound is gone in 6 weeks or so.  But I digress. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

I just meant that capitalism deals sole with numbers giving them an easy OUT on the question of morality, etc.  LOS is playing a theoretical game, which if we are unlucky, may take them 10 or 20 years to amend.  Many of us will be past traveling age or dead by then. 

I will continue to avoid touristy locations like the plague, and do what I always do, hit the outlying areas staying with Thai friends on occasion.  I'm there for the whole package...got too old to do any real mongering. Heat, food, wacky sights, etc.  Oh and lots of hammock time. 

I just wish the bastards would pull their head out of their ass concerning cigars and pipe tobacco as the only available are few and FAR between and I am not setting fire to a $40 cigar.  The two places I found that have pipe tobacco sell it for roughly $15 per pouch, and have VERY few selections. They should let long stayers bring their own stash if Thai's cannot supply it. You ain't gonna find any Gawith and Hogarth Balkan blend in LOS. Half pound is gone in 6 weeks or so.  But I digress. 

Well hopefully you will still be around in 10 to 20 years, i hope so.  Maybe you start your own tobacco import business.  

On 4/11/2023 at 8:59 PM, Zeppie said:

Well hopefully you will still be around in 10 to 20 years, i hope so.  Maybe you start your own tobacco import business.  

lol, dealing only in the cheaper stogies and pipe tobacco. Anyone here smoke a pipe but me? Might be a bit of a loser biz. Doubtful 20 yrs, I'm heading at 69.

89, you got a shot at it.  My Mom lived to 98 and 11 months.  Lived alone (by herself) in an adult condo community, not assisted living.  Until about 5 months before passing.  In fact, I said I would come down and live with her when I retire.  She said no thank you (lol....here comes the jokes).  Anyhow, yeah your most likely right about cheap stuff.  But, what about the tourist, they might be interested in that product.  Heck doesn't everyone like a good cigar.