Pickpocketed on Baht Bus

deleted

Be careful out there fellas. I was pickpocketed on a baht bus on Soi Buakhao last night at about 10:30 PM. Only had a few beers so wasn’t even that drunk.

It was a Thai guy in his mid to late thirties. He sat next to me on the bus and chatted me up. He got off at the stop before mine. When I got off I reached in my pocket, a zippered pocket that I regrettably left unzipped, and it was empty. Only lost B2k as I had my money spread around in my other pockets. 

Don’t think it can’t happen to you. I let my guard down for just a few minutes only. I am usually vigilant on baht buses, but this guy was a smooth professional.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sorry to hear that Sly.  As experienced as you are that's saying something.  He chatted you up and distracted you.  My suggestion next time is to put a mouse trap in that pocket and leave it unzipped, act even drunker.  

PS.  attach a razor blade so you get a souvenir in your pocket.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Zeppie said:

Sorry to hear that Sly.  As experienced as you are that's saying something.  He chatted you up and distracted you.  My suggestion next time is to put a mouse trap in that pocket and leave it unzipped, act even drunker.  

PS.  attach a razor blade so you get a souvenir in your pocket.

I was pissed off but also thankful I didn’t lose anything more valuable.

I didn’t let it spoil my evening. I went back to my place, got more cash, went to Katoeys R Us and bar-fined First, who is currently sleeping in my bed after a wonderful evening of primal shagging.

• Like 3

Used to be a regular pickpocket crew on the Jomtien run a few years ago. Usually about 4 or 5 of them consisting of a young ladyboy, a gay boy (?) a fat lass and on oldish woman. First noticed them flagging down the bus then letting it pass if not many people on board. The drivers knew them and would sometimes sail straight by. They did get caught - saw it in the Pattaya News. ! Once saw an old ladyboy trying to pickpocket a drunk farang who was wrapped round his girlfriend - he was wearing baggy cargo shorts (camouflaged) looked easy but she failed. Should I have intervened ?? 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Quinn said:

Used to be a regular pickpocket crew on the Jomtien run a few years ago. Usually about 4 or 5 of them consisting of a young ladyboy, a gay boy (?) a fat lass and on oldish woman. First noticed them flagging down the bus then letting it pass if not many people on board. The drivers knew them and would sometimes sail straight by. They did get caught - saw it in the Pattaya News. ! Once saw an old ladyboy trying to pickpocket a drunk farang who was wrapped round his girlfriend - he was wearing baggy cargo shorts (camouflaged) looked easy but she failed. Should I have intervened ?? 

Could have been a crew that got me, but I really don’t know. It happened so fast and smoothly. It all transpired in about two minutes. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. For all I know he even unzipped my side pocket because I can’t imagine myself forgetting to zip it. I am OCD about my pockets and valuables on my person in Patts.

Live and learn, as they say.

• Like 2

Cant hurt to report, but without a pic to identify or a finger print, which you would have if you listened to me (just kidding, trying to get the most out of my joke), would be hard to do anything about.  The police i am sure are well aware that pic-pockets are a dime a dozen........best to let it go, and thanks for the update and how smooth and quick they are.  Telling us was the best to notify.  Give your sleeping beauty a nice ass rub for the team.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, Zeppie said:

Cant hurt to report, but without a pic to identify or a finger print, which you would have if you listened to me (just kidding, trying to get the most out of my joke), would be hard to do anything about.  The police i am sure are well aware that pic-pockets are a dime a dozen........best to let it go, and thanks for the update and how smooth and quick they are.  Telling us was the best to notify.  Give your sleeping beauty a nice ass rub for the team.........

8 hours ago, Klytus said:

Most unfortunate for you OP. But this is not an unusual occurance on the Baht Bus. 

It used to be jewelry (gold chains).

Good you have chalked it down too experience and moved on.

Maybe there should be a dash cam placed for passenger safety.

Yeah, I’m sure the police know all about the baht bus pickpockets. Why waste my time on my holiday, over a measly B2K.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Laawman said:

An 'old hands' trick is to put a thick rubber band around the wallet - makes it harder to remove without you noticing.

I used to walk around Pattaya and SE Asia with my wallet chained to my belt. Didn’t do it this trip because I thought I looked like a tool with a wallet chain dangling from my belt. 

• Like 1

I always wear a fanny pack, with the pouch center in front. I don't know if this is the best idea, and it definitely isn't fashionable, but being the latter is usually the least of my concerns. Anyway, I never lost anything to a pickpocket, but maybe I was lucky. All my cash, etc, was out in front and my pockets empty. I'd guess the most foolproof way is one of those flat cloth wallets with a neck strap. Wear it under your shirt in front, and with a baggy shirt it is not really obvious. I tried this too, but it seemed to make me sweat even more in that area. By the end of the day the wallet hung under my shirt was always wet with sweat. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Lefty said:

I always wear a fanny pack, with the pouch center in front. I don't know if this is the best idea, and it definitely isn't fashionable, but being the latter is usually the least of my concerns. 

Many people seem to wear them slung across the shoulder like a bandolier - definitely looks a lot more trendy Might have to invest in one myself, then at least I can carry my reading glasses around!

I've had an attempted pocket frisking but twigged early to the Mamasan's chagrin. The old bag climbed on with a couple of younguns, female. Two sat across from me, grammy being one. The other girl toting a lengthy bag sat close to me and the bag draped across her lap onto mine. There was ample room on the seats so I was suspicious. I'd heard about these activities. The hand next to me slipped under the bag and became too familiar. I watched grammy studying me and her girl. 

I made an exaggerated movement lifting up the bag whilst looking at grammy , dropping it back on the girl's lap. Grammy promptly rang the bell and the team got off.

Once before a young gay guy got on with his mates and really pressed up to me. The seating was fairly open too. I actually shoved him further away, he laughed and then rang the bell. Maybe he had robbery or buggery in mind. Who knows? 

It's been almost three years, long years, since I've been back. I'd almost willingly undergo the experience again if it meant I was there having some enjoyment.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, bubba said:

It's been almost three years, long years, since I've been back. I'd almost willingly undergo the experience again if it meant I was there having some enjoyment.

It was the same for me Bubba till I finally arrived back last week after months of anticipation since I booked our flights in June.  Life throws up little hassles from time to time, but on the balance of play it’s the price we pay at times to ride the rollercoaster that is Pattaya.

• Upvote 2

I'll pass this along again...if you look inside your jeans you'll notice they use the same pocket with the small change pocket on the left flipped around.  You can make a small slit near the top and slip in however much loot ya want.  Getting to it does involve going to the bathroom to unzip and access it.  NO WAY anyone is gonna pick that pocket, at least while you're wearing it, although it would take a bright one to find that even back in the loom.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

jeans

I haven't worn jeans for forty years. I always thought they were for younger people and not appropriate after you are over 30 years old. I did buy a pair last week, reduced on ebay.

But I wouldn't wear them in los. Too hot, I wear Craghopper shorts there. They have inner zipped security pockets.

• Like 1