Irish Grill House

Pdoggg

Ate at the Irish Grill House tonight.  The spare ribs were great!  The French Fries (Chips) were perhaps the best I've ever had anywhere in the world.

It's near the bottom of Pratumnak Soi 5 in the Checkpoint Complex right  next to the mini Big C.  It's near the back of a row of small eateries on the left side.    It's outdoorsy but covered by a roof if it rains. Note the sign says Grill House but the menu says Irish Grill House.  Quality food at extremely reasonable prices.

7 hours ago, seven said:

How much for that meal?

199 for the spare ribs with lots of different veggies and the great french fries presented well.   The same meal could be double the price elsewhere.  San Mig Lite is cheap too, 65 baht.  

Pratumnak doesn't have expensive eateries such as Patrick's or Beefeater but some good joints with quality food at expat friendly pricing.   :biggrin:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

The French Fries (Chips) were perhaps the best I've ever had anywhere in the world.

good info PD.  But i got some for you too....

when you are enjoying a coffee at 7-11 you can now have French Fries [chips] as well! i guess [speculate] that they are maybe [perhaps] not so nice. I haven't tried them so don't know but i speculate [guess] that they are microwaved.

I can't imagine hot oil being used in the shop [premises]

but, here's the good news, you get a little tub of Ketchup/catsup too!

we'll go out for dinner one night PD!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

The French Fries (Chips) were perhaps the best I've ever had anywhere in the world.

The average American eats 29 lbs (13.15 kgs) of french fries a year. I hope you will be doing your bit!

4 hours ago, Woodie said:

Wonder where the term french fries came from?.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20180730-can-belgium-claim-ownership-of-the-french-fry

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Quietguy said:

The average American eats 29 lbs (13.15 kgs) of french fries a year.

Stats man is back! The world is okay!

But on first reading the figures quoted seem alarming  but over 365 days are very small.  Needs more investigation QG,

e.g, how are the figures compiled?  are the potatoes weighed before being peeled and fried? if so the weight of the peel needs to be deducted.

and are microwave fries included? oven fries? air cooker fries?

i think that you are going into your commie pinko anti-American gumph QG... are you attempting to insinuate that Americans are fat? Where did you get that idea from?........... they don't even wear white hoodie shirts in Pattaya....

i know for example that your booster bro isn't fat, I've seen him at volleyball nights in his Thong...

you are gonna have Lance after you QG! quite rightly too.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 5:05 PM, Pdoggg said:

On 9/18/2022 at 8:50 AM, blind boy grunt said:

when you are enjoying a coffee at 7-11 you can now have French Fries [chips] as well! 

French (really Belgian) Fries are thin cut deep fried potatoes.

Chips are thicker cut deep fried potatoes.

Crisps are thin deep fried slices of potatoes.

Americans call crisps chips.

• Like 1

Saturday 17th September

A large contingent of the Over The Hill Gang gathered at this brand new venture tucked away in Checkpoint Market. Its a food court  next to Mini C towards the bottom of soi 5 Pratumnak Hill. Run by the girlfriend of Father Dougal - Meaw.

Checkpoint Market is a food court style arrangement with maybe a dozen new clean stalls set either side of a central seating area. A wide variety of foods available. All very reasonably priced.

Meaw is a delightful lady, very eager to please her customers. And the food - amazing ! All fresh ingredients of the best quality. No scrimping on quality here - both the meat and the vegetables were fabulous. And the fries!! - we all agreed were world class. I don't what her secret is with producing such heavenly chips, as we call them in the UK, but they were astonishing.

DSCN2383.JPG.de72df0c6846572bd750eb5b7d3ee5a4.JPG

I had the pork steak at 179 bt = fabulous.

Did i mention the fries(chips) - oh my God, fantastic!

DSCN2381.JPG.76bbacf2b9193aae1176f809e793fe1a.JPG

• Like 5

On 9/17/2022 at 5:05 PM, Pdoggg said:

On 9/18/2022 at 4:38 AM, Pdoggg said:

great french fries presented well.   

1 hour ago, jimbo33 said:
 And the fries!! - we all agreed were world class. I don't what her secret is with producing such heavenly chips, as we call them in the UK, but they were astonishing.

DSCN2383.JPG.de72df0c6846572bd750eb5b7d3ee5a4.JPG

DSCN2381.JPG.76bbacf2b9193aae1176f809e793fe1a.JPG

Sounds good! But no pics of these fantastic fries!

I will try to get there in January.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo33 said:

strangely enough Jim i was talking to PD yesterday about chips and how they used to be fried using lard in England way back when , and how they tasted much better than before cooking oil came on the scene. i wonder if they are maybe using lard. I'm going to find out!

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 8:51 PM, blind boy grunt said:

used to be fried using lard

Yes, and back in the land of scared sheep they used to be deep fried in fat, and when served in a takeaway shop were wrapped in butchers wrap and then in newspaper.

You would rip the corner off the packet and pull the chips out one by one. Kept the others warm.

Just the best!. God it takes me back.