Hanoi launching a campaign to defend LGBT rights

Hanoi — Being gay is not a disease, Vietnam has told its doctors, as it called on medical workers to end discrimination against the LGBTQ community. Campaigners told AFP on Tuesday the statement was a major step forward for LGBTQ rights in the Southeast Asian nation, where gay, bisexual and transgender people have long felt marginalized.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vietnam-being-gay-not-disease-medical-workers-told-lgbtq-discrimination/

• Like 1

Since I started searching the web for information dealing with Vietnamese ladyboys I have understood that gays have not been legally rejected. This wa&s not the case for ladyboys who still risked to be sent to prison 10 years ago. I had read in a forum of French travelers that being gay was not a criminal offense, so transgenders would use gay adds website to look for dating or customers. 

On the 24th of November 2015, the National Assembly adopted an amendment to the Civil Code which contains provisions on sex change and related rights and obligations. The law took effect in 2017. The new article 37 stipulates : "the sex change will be implemented in accordance with the provisions of the law and the individuals who have changed their sex shall have the right and obligation to register the civil status change according to the provision of the law to the household. They have gender specific personal rights that have been converted in accordance with the provisions of this code and other relevant laws.
This means that Vietnamese ladyboys are free to change but they must be registered as transexuals. The law misses flexibility. It says nothing about transgenders who live with a female look but haven't or won't complete their full transition. Seen from another point of view, registering transsexuals helps Vietnamese Authorithies to keep an eye on their ladyboys population. (This is what I posted  in another forum in December 2018). 

Quyền chuyển đổi giới tính được thừa nhận - Xã hội - ZINGNEWS.VN

The above article proves yet that the problem the Vietnamese government wants to cop with is to struugle against discriminations. A couple of Vietnamese ladyboys told me about problems at school when they were 12 years old. I don't think they were discriminated as ladyboys but they had troubles to focus their attention on normal teaching since they felt they were different and this could lead them to prison 10 years ago. 
As in every country, the administration need to push people to accept ladyboys and reminded that teachers (state employees !) can't say  that being gay is a mental illness. Their campaign is close to what happens in European countries. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1