Top Gun Maverick Opens Today In Thailand

Pdoggg

2 hours ago, Fenton said:

Probably be able to stream it on Amazon Prime. If you factor in the travel costs and the time wasted, its probably better.

It might not be on streaming services for a while. But it's the sort of action movie that would be better watched on a big screen.

Doesn't cost me anything to travel in London as I have a pensioner's Freedom Pass, and only ten minutes to travel on Underground to the nearest cinema.

Tom Cruise says you should watch it in cinema!

Screenshot 2022-05-25 12.00.42.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fenton said:

If I was in LOS, I'd watch at the cinema. But not really interested going the cinema here 

I wouldn't usually go to cinema in los. I'd rather be outside. I did go twice, once with May from Horny Bar as she wanted to go to see a film, once when I had to pass a couple of hours before I checked out of hotel and got taxi to airport.

I usually only go to cinema in uk if it's the weather is bad.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I've been impervious to Tom Cruise's charms almost from the moment I ever heard of him ......a big miss for me. 

I agree, except for the movie Rainman, which I rate as one of the better movies I have seen. Way back in the day.

Also have to rate him as a car driver. Watching his exploits on Top Gear showed that he has some skills.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I've been impervious to Tom Cruise's charms almost from the moment I ever heard of him ......a big miss for me. 

I think he’s a pretty good actor, it’s his persona that gets to me. Eyes wide shut is great. Not gonna deny Top Gun was high octane entertainment in 1986 when I was 20.  Had a huge crush on Kelly McGillis only to find out she played the other field. 
I blame Jody Foster :)

6ADAF51C-83F7-420F-8430-512603FD4BCD.jpeg

7F2A8740-8AB5-4B82-BF34-500B62056E53.jpegTime waits for no one.

• Like 1

I first came across this guy's YouTube channel a year or so ago when I heard about Top Gun: Maverick being made.  Ward Carroll is a US Naval Academy graduate and spent almost all of his career as the Radar Intercept Officer (RIO; the guy seated in back of the pilot) in F-14 Tomcats on aircraft carriers.  In the original Top Gun Goose was Maverick's RIO.

Mooch (Carroll's aviator callsign in the Navy) is a very interesting fellow.  After the Navy he became a writer and novelist and media person.  He was the editor of Military.com for several years.  He is also a huge rock and roll fan and a very good amateur guitarist.  He has over 150 vids on his channel and I've watched at least half of them, all really good.  Below are links to his channel, review of Top Gun: Maverick, and how aviators get their callsigns.  Look him up on YouTube, you will get hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WardCarroll

• Like 1

I do judge Cruise for his lunatic “religious” beliefs. Scientology is fucking dangerous and yet another of the plethora of reasons why churches should not be given tax-free status.

One of my all-time favorite South Park episodes is the one where they keep riffing on the idea that “Tom Cruise is a fudge packer”. You’d have to see it to believe it - it’s hilarious.

With that said he has made a couple of good movies over the years, but then again even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Rain Man was good. I’m sure if I dig deep there are other films of his that I’ve enjoyed.

I read something the other day about how the film got some sort of standing ovation at Cannes? That, if true, really surprises me. The television ads here in the US showed quick glimpses of hyperbolic review claims, but if you freeze frame and look they were all from unknown critics and weird unknown, probably self published, magazines. I swear one of them said something like “Incredible! Must be seen on the big screen! Chaz Green, MyMom’sBasement.com.”

I have a funny feeling I’ll be eating my words if and when I do finally watch it and find that I actually do enjoy it. But I’ll try to resist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deepthroat said:

Scientology is fucking dangerous

No skyscrapers demolished nor altar boys sodomized though.  :sign0200:

1 hour ago, deepthroat said:

“Tom Cruise is a fudge packer”

21 minutes ago, Fenton said:

Yeah, just seen the Fudge packing scene on YT 555.

Saw it with the missus and my mate.  3 thumbs up.  Not a great film but totally enjoyable.